• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol - Grip Technique?

chrbla2000

NES Member
So.. I understand the 'straight-thumbs' technique is probably the best, but I can't seem to get comfortable with it at all and end up resorting to 'thumb over thumb' technique as described by this article by the end of each of my range sessions:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

I don't know if it's because my hands are large-ish, I wear XL gloves when I wear them, or of I'm just doing something wrong. With a 1911, I find I have to force my right hands webbing between the thumb and forefinger unnaturally into the grip safety and find my left hand usually depresses the slide release if I let my right hand ride up over the thumb safety.

On smaller guns like my shield 9, my hands are just too big to to straight-thumbs it seems.

Should I keep trying to force the straight thumb method and eventually get used to it or fall back to thumb over thumb and forget about the straight thumbs? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks,

-chris

Pistol_held_sideways.jpg

I've found out for myself that the best grip and stance for myself are the ones that come naturally to me. I use crossed thumbs and weaver, because they work for me. Ymmv.

I've got medium sized hands. When gripping a 1911, my left hand thumb is even with the front part of the 1911 slide stop, like this:

ToddJarrettUSPSASteelChallenge.JPG

(No, that's not me, unfortunately. That is USPSA Grand Master Todd Jarrett.)

If your left thumb is depressing the slide stop, either you've got really short thumbs or you need to torque your left wrist forward.

The way I look at it, if your style works with your style of shooting, stick with it. If you are looking to shoot faster, better, etc.... You need to throw everything out the window, and be open minded to trying out stuff.

I'm not saying you are doing this, but I chuckle when people say 'help me do X' without changing anything.

They way Ayoob said it was:

"Well, it's your money, do what you want. No, wait a minute, it's my money now, so try it my way"

I have big hands. Like people have commented on it when shaking my hand. I don't have very long fingers but just meaty hands. It took me a while to get used to straight thumbs but it really did yield the best results.

I guess the real question is, how is your accuracy? Follow up?

I am also firmly of the belief that if it is not broken, don't try to fix it.

If you just want to shoot accurately, it doesn't really matter how you hold the gun. Grip is not a fundamental of shooting.

Thanks for the replies all. as far as depressing the slide release, I meant that the edge of my thumb pressed up against the slide tends ride on it and depending on how tight I'm gripping, it has released the slide a few times.

My accuracy is OK, I'd certainly like to improve, and I find follow-up shots/felt recoil easier with straight thumbs, dunno, I'll keep playing with it I guess till it feels more natural.

-chris

Thanks for the replies all. as far as depressing the slide release, I meant that the edge of my thumb pressed up against the slide tends ride on it and depending on how tight I'm gripping, it has released the slide a few times.

My accuracy is OK, I'd certainly like to improve, and I find follow-up shots/felt recoil easier with straight thumbs, dunno, I'll keep playing with it I guess till it feels more natural.

-chris

You will improve accuracy through aiming and trigger control. Grip doesn't factor into that at all.

For faster follow up shots, grip matters a lot and thumbs forward is the clear winner.

Your left thumb should be forward of the part of the slide stop that you would use to depress it, as shown in the picture that I posted previously.

Back
Top Bottom