• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pick my next milsurp rifle

OK I got one for you Czech RPG live fire training rocket. It takes a 7.62x39 and will fire. I have 3 and my friend made up a way to fire it easily. Here are some picks of mine

DSC08181.jpg

DSC08183.jpg

DSC08184.jpg

DSC08186.jpg

DSC08185.jpg

Here is a link to one for sale on gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151312528

Not to expensive and diffrent

WOW! That looks like WAY too much fun to be legal in Massachusetts! Surely, it would be labeled an "infernal machine" or some other such nonsense.

Interesting, but not exactly what I was after.

Based upon your "got it"s so far...2nd round of suggestions

Argentine 1909 Rifle or Cavalry Carbine in 7.65

I will guess you have been there on the MAS 36's but how about MAS 44 or MAS 49's (not the 49/56)

Canadian Ross 1905

Krag maybe (But I bet you have been there too.)

Yup - that's a big help. I have a few extra ones to research now.

Argentine 1909 - yup (but not the carbine)

MAS 49 - yup (but not the 44)

Ross 1905 - yup (but it's sporterized, so I don't really count it)

Krag - yup (but not a carbine)

Hey - some more great leads. Thanks!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Now you're hitting some hot buttons.

I saw a Mondragon on Gunbroker once - I think the seller was looking for $15,000 or so. I actually saw one at the Springfield Armory during a private (second floor) tour there a few years ago. WAY out of the price range, but that would be quite a score.

1895 Winchester - I've actually bid on quite a few, but always end up choking after the price sailed north of $800 or so. Some day I'll find one.

The trench gun would be fun to look at, but I probably wouldn't shoot it much.

I'm pretty much mauser-heavy right now, so I'm looking beyond those.

Great suggestions - I think we have the same tastes.

I'd love an MG-42 semi, but it's the same cost issue as the Johnson.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking at those MG-42 kits - and one of the big things that kept me from buying one was: I couldn't figure out if it was MA legal or not.

There is a flash hider ( not AWB legal) unless - the firearm in question was "pre-ban", which the parts in the kit would be, but the receiver you would have to buy to build the kit - wouldn't be.

I would love to have an MG42 , just love the look of those guns.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking at those MG-42 kits - and one of the big things that kept me from buying one was: I couldn't figure out if it was MA legal or not.

There is a flash hider ( not AWB legal) unless - the firearm in question was "pre-ban", which the parts in the kit would be, but the receiver you would have to buy to build the kit - wouldn't be.

I would love to have an MG42 , just love the look of those guns.

I had a MG-42 in MA. The thing on the end I would call it a booster. It won't work without it.

Am I detecting a pattern here?

Actually, I do have a Krop, and was fortunate enough to find some ammo to shoot through it. Very solid, well-made firearm.

The trainer doesn't do anything for me, and the luger would be great except for one little detail - the price.

Which Mauser variant do you not have?

Very funny! Having read Robert Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" I can honestly say I don't have 99% of the variants.

If I were a true collector, and could focus on one particular type of rifle to collect, the mauser-type would certainly give me a life-long challenge. But I'm probably more of an accumulator, so I tend to look for representative samples of different designs.

Of course, all that theory goes out the window if I see something I like at a reasonable price - and I happen to have the cash!

OK buddy, How about the rifle featured in Shotgun news. A Czech sniper rifle made on a Mosin Nagant platform. I have the article if you would like a copy. Very rare and VERY collectible. If I find one I will be sure to let you know....yeah sure...if I find one I am buying it.If there's two I let you buy the second one.....

Last edited:
OK buddy, How about the rifle featured in Shotgun news. A Czech sniper rifle made on a Mosin Nagant platform. I have the article of you would like a copy. Very rare and VERY collectible. If I find one I will be sure to let you know....yeah sure...if I find one I am buying it.If there's two I let you buy the second one.....

Thanks, Fred. You're a real pal.

Actually, I've already made my choice. You know how sometimes you have so many choices, you give up and do something completely different? Well, that was my decision. Instead of a new milsurp rifle, I got three milsurp pistols. One is still on the way, but I'll post pics as soon as I can.

I do have a nice list of rifles for future purchases, though!

Swedish mauser in 6.5x55 because it's the most accurate bolt action military rifle I've ever fired and very comfortable to shoot. Springfield model 1873 .45/70 infantry rifle just because. Mine was made in Springfield Ma in 1874 and it still shoots great.

Swedish mauser in 6.5x55 because it's the most accurate bolt action military rifle I've ever fired and very comfortable to shoot. Springfield model 1873 .45/70 infantry rifle just because. Mine was made in Springfield Ma in 1874 and it still shoots great.

Swedish Mauser - Been there, got that. And you're right - it shoots great!

Springfield Trapdoor - Been there, got that. Mine is a Model 1888 with rod-bayonet, though. Nothing like a .45/70 blackpowder load going off in the morning - it smells like... victory!

Thanks for playing!

Back
Top Bottom