• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pick my next milsurp rifle

USMA-82

NES Member
I've reached that point in my collecting life where I've pretty much found everything I've been looking for. I'd still like to find a reasonably-priced 1941 Johnson, or a German G43, but I'm not holding my breath - besides, I'd have to sell a good portion of my collection to get it.

I'm a "one-of-each" type of collector, so multiples of the same gun don't do it for me. I like bolt-action as well as semi's, so I'm pretty much open to all suggestions. I'm looking for shooters - not safe queens.

I guess I'm searching for something out of the ordinary. So, what do you suggest - and why?

Maybe an SVD or clone?

Why? Because I want one myself and just haven't gotten around to getting one. I like the way they look. I like the idea of the true squad dedicated marksmen's weapon. Just gotta find a reasonably priced one with decent wood furniture

hard to say not knowing any gaps in your collection

Some ideas:

SVT 40

FN49 - heavy but one of the smoothest shooting semi autos I have fired.

Enfield P-14 or a M1917 - .303 vs .30-06 I remember when I started collecting that there were more 14's than 1917's around. Nowadays it is much harder to find nice P-14's A much under-appreciated rifle

Swedish Ljungman Ag42 Semi auto rifle

Sounds to me like cost is going to be your biggest enemy because you most likely did the same as me and everyone else who's been in it for a while and you obtained the affordable and easily found stuff first.

Now the ones you want are all high priced items such as a G43 or 41 Johnson and saving up the cash for one is always hard because something usually comes along in the mean time. Thats the problem I have.

A real Russian Dragunov, G43, even an SVT40 sniper, all out of my price range because I can never save up the cash for one.

Have you thought about .22 training rifles? You can get into a whole world of searching and collecting them and most are still reasonably priced.

SVT-40: Been there, got that

FN49: Been there, got four (love 'em)

M1917: Been there, got that

Ljungman: Been there, got that

SVD or Clone: Have the SSG-97 (Romanian Sniper) - the SVD is a whole different ballgame.

I don't have a P-14 yet, so there's an idea. I do have four other Enfields, though, so maybe I should hold out for something different.

I have a couple of .22 rifles (one bolt, one semi) that already scratch that itch.

Ray, your analysis is spot-on, as usual.

Thanks for the ideas so far - please keep them coming. I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket!

What about an arisaka or the japanese wwii pistol (nambu?)

Perhaps a hakim?

Save your pennies and go class 3?

Any particular era milsurp you interested in?

Last edited:
Arisaka: Have a 38 and 99 long rifle - I'm good there

Nambu: Not a milsurp rifle - but I might consider it in the future

Hakim: Been there, got that (and her little sister, the Rasheed)

No class three license (yet), but another future consideration.

As far as era: Anything between the US Civil War and 1959...... Yeah, I know - too broad.

More ideas?

1861 Springfield? Or do you have one already?

Ya know, you could dig up a copy of Murder in the Gunroom by H. Beam Piper - Piper was a noted collector and his first mystery novel mentions a LOT of guns by name. The murder victim was a collector, and many of his collector friends were suspects, and there's a lot of discussion of their collections. Might get some ideas there.

The Suomi and the 1861 Springfield are good suggestions.

The only thing about the Suomi is that its a "wannabe" - not fully auto like the original. The 1927 Thompson (semi-auto) is great looking, but it's not REALLY a Thompson, is it?

Since I have a flintlock and a trapdoor, I do need a percussion rifle to fill in the space between.

A Norwegian K98k in .30-06 is pretty cool, with the half-moon cut into the rear of the forward receiver ring to accommodate the .30-06.

An OVF-marked Chilean Mauser would be pretty high on my list, too.

Speaking of Mausers, do you have one?

I love to let folks shoot a Mauser for 4-8 rounds at 100 yards, then try the Garand.

O.K....if you really want a collector item, buy the new Barrett 50 B.M.G. semi auto. Now if you say been there done that what else do you really need[wink]

Or Terri Goody has an all original Hungarian 91/30 Sniper dated 1953 in 100% condition, all matching with original scope and not import marked. Original stock marked correctly. I would go wit the Barrett. Hey with Obama they will be collector items soon!

Last edited:
You have any French bolt action or semi ones? They are intresting guns

You must have missed this post:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59480&highlight=french+ladies

As for the rest:

Fred, a Barrett would be nice, but 1) it's not a milsurp and 2) costs as much as a small used car. But thanks for playing!

Mausers, Mausers, Mausers: M-24/52, M98/29 (Persian), M49 (Persian Carbine), M1871/84 (the Original), M-1895 Chilean, M-1896 Swedish, M-98k (RC)... shall I go on?

The Elephant Gun is a perenial favorite, Ray (especially after reading "Unintended Consequences"), but falls under the same category as Fred's suggestion - except more so.

You guys are really reaching - I like that! But keep them coming.

Whatever you do, don't go the Russian SKS route!

Between Fred (50 BMG) and Matt (martin08), my competition for rarities is getting tougher.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom