Spencer rifle

CRSIII

NES Member
958A50B3-77B9-4C9F-BBCF-D00DAFE6EB84.jpeg
This belongs to a friend. It’s all there, but I don’t know if it is supposed to have a bayonet.
I’m guessing it’s a model 1860
(Or is that obvious?)
Any idea what’s up with this piece?
Manufacturing date?
State of origin?
(I have learned that they were made in different states)
That’s all I got. 🤷🏻‍♂️
5F2605DC-4DB7-46E1-85AE-8BCD415B0BEF.jpeg2B2C9CD2-61A2-4B84-A935-16B72E883342.jpeg
913ECDE7-D778-4C08-A99D-4D03C53551FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks to be the Military Rifle Army or Navy version. I have a Spencer1860 Carbine that I will poke online looking for info on . Lots of subtle variations . If you can find someone with Springfield Research Service Book , Vol 4 you would be able to see if the gun was listed/ issued to a certain unit.

Last edited:
Looks to be the Military Rifle Army or Navy version. I have a Spencer1860 Carbine that will poke online looking for info on . Lots of subtle variations . If you can find someone with Springfield Research Service Book , Vol 4 you would be able to see if the gun was listed/ issued to a certain unit.
Here’s hoping someone here can help.

Looks like an 1860 Army which would have had a bayonet. The hammer retaining screw is missing. Are there any other markings on it?

Last edited:
Take a look under the rear of the receiver,and under the barrel for the serial number.
I might be able to date it from them.

It is an Army rifle, they used a special triangular bayonet, Navies used a saber bayonet. Serial number should be visible next to hammer. also under forestock. All rifles were built in Boston, at the Chickering Piano factory on Tremont st. They only built 11,000 rifles before converting production to Carbines. 1st 700 to the Navy, then rest Army. A Commonwealth of Mass order of rifles had serial #'s between 22,000-23,000 or so. Roy Marcott's book is a great reference. It's a nice looking one. screw may be hard to find, weird threads.

Someone with SRS (Springfield research service) may be able to look up issue info.

Had a m1855 bayonet, with a larger socket and bridge to have the sight be able to pass through.

Back
Top Bottom