People shot at Moon Island

I can't count the number of times that I've seen 'experienced' shooters try to clear their gun and pointing it at their opposite arm. Usually they are having trouble racking the slide and cross their shooting hand arm across their abdomen and bring the opposite arm up and over, with the gun pointing at their elbow, and rack the slide. Add a finger on the trigger and there ya go. And anyone standing next to them, oh well. Sort of like in the picture but change the angles just a little and you have a disaster. slide.jpg

Last edited:
Per WCVB, they were there for routine firearms qualification...

giphy.gif

Sources tell 5 Investigates that one of the officers was emptying his firearm when it went off. The bullet shot through his hand and stuck an instructor in the thigh and buttocks, sources tell 5 Investigates.

"...a federal court officer accidentally shot himself in the arm and the bullet then hit a second officer in the buttocks."

how the FFFFF do you shoot yourself in the arm?! And how the hell does that round end up in someone's ass?!

I'm thinking reach around gone bad.

Federal employees, they will be treated by Dr Summeroff.

Actually, they are contract employees, which mean they get the benefits offered by the contractor, not the benefits extended to federal employees . I suspect that the security company’s benefits fall far short of Uncle Sugar’s.

They should shut it down and do away with the stupid tests for the LTC. Jack.
My first permit was as a Boston resident a million years ago. Went out there to qualify. I remember a few other guys with me at the same time. The old duffer handed us each a 38 and a coffee can with ten rounds I think it was. Was told we had to get seven on the paper to qualify. I wasn’t a marksman back then but was sure I could get seven if not all ten on the paper. I fired off all ten and stopped to take a squinty look and counted something like 16 bullet holes. Scratched my head for a minute before I realized the guy next to me was hitting both his target and mine.

My dad instructed for BPD at Moon Island for years. In the 60s , it was only open in the summer. Late 70s year round. He did his last 5yrs on BPD out there, retiredin '91. He had awesome stories about the range.

They are all retired bpd and other city cops
If so, they never learned firearm safety 101. I wouldn't be surprised.

I was stuck at the intersection of Mass Ave and Atlantic Ave for about 20 min. around 2:30PM this afternoon. I was in the first car at the set of lights on Massachusetts Ave and wondering what the heck was going on.
Alarming police presence on foot at the intersection (in the uniform and undercover), cruisers with lights flying in all directions, two choppers up above and only one state cruiser.
I was there until three ambulances were let through, coming from 93 going to Mass-general.
Ridiculous privilege for relatively minor injuries according to media reports.

I can't count the number of times that I've seen 'experienced' shooters try to clear their gun and pointing it at their opposite arm. Usually they are having trouble racking the slide and cross their shooting hand arm across their abdomen and bring the opposite arm up and over, with the gun pointing at their elbow, and rack the slide. Add a finger on the trigger and there ya go. And anyone standing next to them, oh well. Sort of like in the picture but change the angles just a little and you have a disaster.View attachment 273133

This^^^^^^^^ I'd bet the farm on it.

I see people do it all the time.

I once very calmly walked over to and threatened to shoot one stupid bastard right in the face if he swept me one more time on the firing line while racking his pistol. I told him to keep his muzzle down range or expect incoming.

My dad instructed for BPD at Moon Island for years. In the 60s , it was only open in the summer. Late 70s year round. He did his last 5yrs on BPD out there, retiredin '91. He had awesome stories about the range.
The staff out there is great. A couple times I was the only one out there (March) and we sat around and shot the breeze. It reminded me of range duty in the Army. I always wrote a letter of commendation and named the staff so they’d get an attaBoy in their file. The only one who ever responded,was Ed Davis.

They spotted my Danner Ft. Lewis boots and said, “What’s your story, Captain?” Turned out the CRO was also a Cavalry Vet and flew a US Army flag on the flag staff.

Last couple times, lanes were full, and about 70% of the shooters were minorities, which I was happy to see. A 4’10 female lawyer outscored me and everyone else, which impressed everyone.

Don't they use a rusty old .38 revolver for that test? How bad could these guys have been hurt? I mean, did the bullet even draw blood?

They probably weren’t taking the test given by BPD. Instead, it appears that they were training with their duty weapons (whatever they are). Dolts can have NDs with most any guns, including revolvers.

Gloves definitely cause people to shoot themselves in the arm. I know whenever I wear gloves that safe gun handling doesn’t apply.
Think that’s a tell? When I’m walking the dog in the winter woods ,I only wear one glove?

I’ll tell them I’m a Michael Jackson fan.

I wonder how this plays out for all involved. ... garnered substantial media coverage. ... on the property of and under supervision of the BPD. ...How much more info do you think we get? Do heads roll? ...

awesome. now they'll each be out of work for 6 months...'injured on duty', with full pay

Oh, don't forget the early retirement!

Last edited:
how the FFFFF do you shoot yourself in the arm?! And how the hell does that round end up in someone's ass?!
I work in a job (railroad) that involves, among other things, the company preaching/hammering us with safety training, safety measures, safety classes, safety equipment, safety safety safety etc etc...Signs and reminders and memos and instructions and awareness posters ("A safe day is a good day..") everywhere. They conduct "training and awareness classes, have some safety "peer groups" where its more casual and relaxed than the rigid, boring training film classes. Employees sit and chat about stuff they've "seen" dangerous near-misses etc. These get togethers are usually the best and most eye opening cuz they're completely private and off the record. Just folks chatting.

The one thing, the one "constant", the one "contributing cause" to literally 99% of all "accidents", literally almost every single one, is or was that someone, somewhere at some point wasn't paying ONE HUNDRED PERCENT ATTENTION to the "task at hand" (etc) . And if that "task" in your hand is a gun, and you're not paying a hundred percent attention? You can probably "accidentally" shoot yourself (or someone else) just about anywhere on your (or their) body.
Many MANY times during the course of my job I've had trainees, some young some very mature and experienced. One of the very first things I tell them is "PAY ATTENTION, ALWAYS!!"

And I can't tell you how many times I've had to literally tell trainees to "get out", "get away from the controls", "go home and come back when your head is screwed on properly" (etc)...Cuz they were NOT PAYING ATTENTION..(texting, goofing, chatting, horsing around, cell phone, internet, whatever.)....All while ("Oops, my bad") programming a train to speed down a track - a track where they had just minutes ago ("Oops, my bad") told a work crew that the track was safe, unoccupied out of service, etc.. "Oops. (giggle giggle)...Sorry sir, My bad".

"Get up, get out of the effin' chair, go take (another) smoke break and finish whatever important business is so important to you and...Then go home".

"Oops"

It is probably for the feds to hire contract labor, with the middleman overhead, than hire direct with all federal benefits and job protection. I doubt contract workers are "off duty with pay" if they are involved in a shoot.

Similarly, the "hire a bus company" for schools seems ridiculous until you note that under a direct hire situation, school bus drivers would unionize, explain that their need for a living wage trumps market forces, and they would get post-retirement medical and a defined benefit pen$ion.

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, when I heard a NY tolltaker explaining the job to a friend interested in the career. When I heard "Starting is about $15/hour" I knew I was not in the DPRM. Indeed.com reports a NY tolltaker average salary of $16.06/hour

Back
Top Bottom