Pelham Mass Chief: ‘Improperly stored arsenal’ described in trial

That's a big jump there fudd.
Well, sorry... but it's a touchy issue for me. People seem to think it is okay to use the MA "safe storage" law against him just because "Uzi" and because he was apparently a bit of an a-hole back in the day and because they can't get him any other way. Therefore, he deserves anything the state wants to throw at him or do to him. What better than the "safe storage" law to accomplish that? [thinking]

But I say there but for the grace of God goes any one of us, especially if you are an active collector with a decent size collection that might not be 100% locked up perfectly in accordance with the law 24/7/365 (a near impossible task to execute perfectly if you actually use and care for your guns regularly). [hmmm]

Not the same exactly, but this BS reminds me of the guy (a cop I believe) who noted that you could possess 1,000 standard capacity AR or AK magazines, 999 of which are verified, certified pre-bans and 1 lonely post-ban that happened to sneak in there... and you are in violation of the law. In other words, there is no practicality or reasonableness or good faith excuse embodied in Massachusetts gun law. The people that wrote those laws have no clue about the practical everyday aspects of gun ownership... gun collecting in particular.

We collectors don't even exist in MA gun law from what I can tell. [thinking]

Well, sorry... but it's a touchy issue for me. People seem to think it is okay to use the MA "safe storage" law against him just because "Uzi" and because he was apparently a bit of an a-hole back in the day and because they can't get him any other way. Therefore, he deserves anything the state wants to throw at him or do to him. What better than the "safe storage" law to accomplish that? [thinking]

But I say there but for the grace of God goes any one of us, especially if you are an active collector with a decent size collection that might not be 100% locked up perfectly in accordance with the law 24/7/365 (a near impossible task to execute perfectly if you actually use and care for your guns regularly). [hmmm]

Not the same exactly, but this BS reminds me of the guy (a cop I believe) who noted that you could possess 1,000 standard capacity AR or AK magazines, 999 of which are verified, certified pre-bans and 1 lonely post-ban that happened to sneak in there... and you are in violation of the law. In other words, there is no practicality or reasonableness or good faith excuse embodied in Massachusetts gun law. The people that wrote those laws have no clue about the practical everyday aspects of gun ownership... gun collecting in particular.

We collectors don't even exist in MA gun law from what I can tell. [thinking]

I don't think anyone is defending the particular charge.
But I can tell you the guy did misuse his authority when he was COP to f*ck with peoples lives in a very real and detrimental way .
Way above just being an a-hole in general.
A friend of mine was on the receiving end of his bullshit and the hurt to his family and life was pretty bad and the effect was long lasting.
I can't and won't go into details other than to say he was never even actually charged with any crime.
I've heard this wasn't the only time this dick did stuff like that ,so you'll forgive me if I don't get upset because Karma finally tore a chunk out of his ass.

I don't think anyone is defending the particular charge.
But I can tell you the guy did misuse his authority when he was COP to f*ck with peoples lives in a very real and detrimental way .
Way above just being an a-hole in general.
A friend of mine was on the receiving end of his bullshit and the hurt to his family and life was pretty bad and the effect was long lasting.
I can't and won't go into details other than to say he was never even actually charged with any crime.
I've heard this wasn't the only time this dick did stuff like that ,so you'll forgive me if I don't get upset because Karma finally tore a chunk out of his ass.
Oh, I get that lots of people hate him... for both good & justified reasons (like your friend, apparently) and for some not so fair, admirable and justified reasons too. He has lots and lots of enemies.

But after two long, ugly, very costly trials and now this third one, his life is already in ruins. His career is long gone and he is essentially bankrupt. Thousands of people hate him. I mean, how much can people hate on this guy at this point? [thinking]

Anyway, I just wish that his many enemies would find a different way to get their revenge on him other than by cop lies, entrapment, dirty tricks and sneaky misuse of the "safe storage" law. Always the last resort I guess... the moonbat left's beloved "safe storage" law. [hmmm]

The cops lied and successfully tricked him into leaving his house to go to the police station. Yes, ~10% of his 200+ gun collection was not locked up at that moment in time... but his licensed wife was still there and there are no other children or persons in the household. I'm sure he thought he was covered by his licensed wife being there.

Then the cops came and forced his wife out of the house and went in. [hmmm] She was apparently not allowed time to lock up the unsecured guns.

Bingo, they had him. [thinking]

How do you know this? If it's from the news, can you find that article?

If I am in the gun room, I won't even answer the doorbell without locking the safe. Such is the paranoia MA instills in gun owners.

What in particular? Much of what I said is covered in the OP's referenced news article. Other news stories go way back as this was a 2014 raid. I've been following it from time to time ever since.

Im curious as to how his wife was forced from the home. Was there a search warrant?

Unless there was some type of valid court order requiring Chief Ed Fleury to remain in MA after the range accident trial ended, his biggest mistake was continuing to live in MA. I'd have had a driver waiting for me outside the court house with the motor running and the compass pointing to the nearest border.
Now its just a vindictive witch hunt.

Last edited:
Oh, I get that lots of people hate him... for both good & justified reasons (like your friend, apparently) and for some not so fair, admirable and justified reasons too. He has lots and lots of enemies.

But after two long, ugly, very costly trials and now this third one, his life is already in ruins. His career is long gone and he is essentially bankrupt. Thousands of people hate him. I mean, how much can people hate on this guy at this point? [thinking]

Anyway, I just wish that his many enemies would find a different way to get their revenge on him other than by cop lies, entrapment, dirty tricks and sneaky misuse of the "safe storage" law. Always the last resort I guess... the moonbat left's beloved "safe storage" law. [hmmm]

This!!!!!!! The whole point of police is to prevent witch hunts, it's supposed to be a dispassionate pursuit of facts. There shouldn't be any emotion in it at all, and yet time and time again we see criminal justice system and police in general used by citizens as weapons against each other! What a terrible terrible perversion of one of the most important (if not arguably the most important) cornerstone of modern society as we know it today!

The guy might be a terrible human being, but I hope his trial is 100% based on an objective and unbiased representation of the facts. The criminal justice system is not a way to seek revenge and retribution on those less than perfect members of society.

Unless there was some type of valid court order requiring Chief Ed Fleury to remain in MA after the range accident trial ended, his biggest mistake was continuing to live in MA. I'd have had a driver waiting for me outside the court house with the motor running and the compass pointing to the nearest border.
Now its just a vindictive witch hunt.

This ^^^

On the other hand, if the guy wants to martyr himself in a State like MA, then he has obviously been doing a very good job of it. Some people just can't get out of their own way. I don't know any of the facts either way, but I hope he gets a fair trial. It's the only thing that any one of us can really hope for. Justice is becoming more and more scarce these days. I hear that money for expensive lawyers can often help (sad but true).

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how his wife was forced from the home. Was there a search warrant?
Of course there was a search warrant. The cops were said to be looking for the Glock that Fleury was alleged to have pointed at his friend, supposedly to demonstrate its laser. Remember that these current charges were split off from the charges against him in the second trial. It tends to get confusing because of that. It's really the second half of that second case against him. [thinking]

Of course there was a search warrant. The cops were said to be looking for the Glock that Fleury was alleged to have pointed at his friend, supposedly to demonstrate its laser. Remember that these current charges were split off from the charges against him in the second trial. It tends to get confusing because of that. It's really the second half of that second case against him. [thinking]

I'm not familiar with this guy, other than this thread, but was it "the friend" who called the gestapo on him for allegedly pointing the Glock at him, or was it another witness that mistook what was happening? Not that it really matters legally, just curious.

I'm not familiar with this guy, other than this thread, but was it "the friend" who called the gestapo on him for allegedly pointing the Glock at him, or was it another witness that mistook what was happening? Not that it really matters legally, just curious.
The friend went to the police.

Ok so theres a valid search warrant? The wife is certainly not forced from the home due to a SW. She absolutely can leave (assuming she hasnt been arrested) , but Ive conducted multiple SWs where the homeowners have stayed in the house while the search is done.

I am all for revoking the MA storage rules, and playing by big boy rules. As it is now, in my home, common sense prevails when it comes to where and how my firearms are stored. What Im missing here is the faux pas committed in respect to the wife being forced to vacate the premises

If I am in the gun room, I won't even answer the doorbell without locking the safe. Such is the paranoia MA instills in gun owners.

I remember back in the day, 70's to be more specific. Friends would come over to visit, and it didnt matter where they sat down, there was always a LUMP under the cushion of whatever sofa, or chair they sat on. My dad had a gun under every cushion in every room..... We still laugh about it to this day, bless his soul......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He had an FFL for awhile. and honestly in my few dealings with him (as a buyer at gun shows) I never had an issue.

But hey lets make shit up! it's fun! Let the courts settle this one.

Ok so theres a valid search warrant? The wife is certainly not forced from the home due to a SW. She absolutely can leave (assuming she hasnt been arrested) , but Ive conducted multiple SWs where the homeowners have stayed in the house while the search is done.

I am all for revoking the MA storage rules, and playing by big boy rules. As it is now, in my home, common sense prevails when it comes to where and how my firearms are stored. What I'm missing here is the faux pas committed in respect to the wife being forced to vacate the premises
Let me offer this for your review and you can draw your own conclusions (emphasis below is mine):

From : http://www.gazettenet.com/Final-tes...am-Police-Chief-Edward-Fleury-s-trial-5680972

As part of his testimony, Fleury recounted the day of his arrest. He said he and his wife were preparing to go to a firing range and had taken out guns to make sure they were fully functional.

Fleury said he told the Pelham Police Chief Gary Thomann that he couldn’t go to the Police Station that morning when asked to do so by Thomann because he had unsecured weapons at his home.

When Thomann pressed Fleury to come to station, Fleury said Thomann asked if his wife was home. Fleury said when he told the police chief yes, he responded “that was good,” because she could watch the guns because she is licensed.

And from this: http://www.gazettenet.com/More-poli...former-ex-Pelham-chief-Edward-Fleury-12576382

Whitney was one of four officers who made initial contact with Fleury’s wife, Jacalyn Fleury, at the home on Sept. 11, 2014. Edward Fleury had been called away from the house before police executed the search. Jacalyn Fleury, who at the time was a licensed gun owner, was home when the police arrived. Thomas questioned why Edward Fleury was called away and why Jacalyn Fleury could not re-enter the home. Whitney answered it was due to safety concerns as well as to keep evidence secure.

My read of this from the prior trial where the 5 "safe storage" charges were dismissed (3 of them) and then he was found not guilty (on the 2 remaining charges) is that the cops needed the licensed wife to be out of the house to make a case that the guns were then stored in violation of the "safe storage" law. With (licensed) her in the house alone, they felt they had no case... and the judge and jury agreed in the first trial. The cops clearly felt they had to make her leave the house during the search in order to claim that the guns were then "stored" in violation of the law.

My read of this from the prior trial where the 5 "safe storage" charges were dismissed (3 of them) and then he was found not guilty (on the 2 remaining charges) is that the cops needed the licensed wife to be out of the house to make a case that the guns were then stored in violation of the "safe storage" law. With (licensed) her in the house alone, they felt they had no case... and the judge and jury agreed in the first trial. The cops clearly felt they had to make her leave the house during the search in order to claim that the guns were then "stored" in violation of the law.

Sounds like a good old-fashioned entrapment-style frame up job. "Let's manufacture the situation to **** this guy over specifically!" [rolleyes]

He may be a dick. He may have bad karma coming his way. I don't really care, tbh. This is not how the law is supposed to work, even in this ****ing corrupt state.

Sounds like a good old-fashioned entrapment-style frame up job. "Let's manufacture the situation to **** this guy over specifically!" [rolleyes]

He may be a dick. He may have bad karma coming his way. I don't really care, tbh. This is not how the law is supposed to work, even in this ****ing corrupt state.

Yeah it definitely stinks. You know similar tactics could be used on any of us.

Yeah it definitely stinks. You know similar tactics could be used on any of us.
Oh, it gets even worse. Consider the issue of the guns stored up in the attic (accessed through a ceiling pull-down door apparently). They were stored in boxes with locks on them (or trigger locks in some cases - that is still unclear). But according to police testimony, the boxes and/or locks were "flimsy" and the cops were able to break the locks or the attached hardware and get to the guns... hence, "unsafe storage"! [rolleyes]

So think about that and how it might apply to any of us. [thinking]

Oh, it gets even worse. Consider the issue of the guns stored up in the attic (accessed through a ceiling pull-down door apparently). They were stored in boxes with locks on them (or trigger locks in some cases - that is still unclear). But according to police testimony, the boxes and/or locks were "flimsy" and the cops were able to break the locks or the attached hardware and get to the guns... hence, "unsafe storage"! [rolleyes]

Every freaking cable lock that comes with your purchase can be taken care of with a pair of bolt cutters in seconds, and the trigger locks aren't much better. What about those metal StackOn locking gun cabinets that tons of people use for firearm storage? Those are easy to force with a crowbar and light enough to cart them away.

And extend that to ammo storage. Everyone who keeps their ammo in a locking file cabinet or locked ammo cans. Hell, I can destroy either one of those in a matter of minutes with a crowbar. Does that mean our ammo isn't safely stored?

No, this is a railroad job, and it's not only bad for Fleury, it's bad for us, too. I hope he's well lawyered up, because he's going to **** us all over if he's not.

I have always wondered where he "got" the almost 250 guns he had in his home.
I always "cringe" when I read a line like this in an NES thread. "Where did he get" the 250 guns he owned?

No offense intended, Harry, and please don't take any, but...Maybe he simply wanted them? And bought them retail? Maybe cops make pretty good dough and have overtime and detail pay opportunities that I don't, and hence have more spare change than me or you? Maybe he didn't smoke/drink/gamble/blow his savings on whores/etc but.. liked guns? Maybe his hobby wasn't sports or something expensive but was instead whittling branches in his yard with a cheap knife like Jed Clampett?...

My point being that all of us log on here and defend our right to carry, our right to own, and our right to own one or 1,000 guns if we want to. We're assailed/assaulted/demonized/criticized/blamed/vilified/etc etc, and we vehemently stand together as one and throw up our "F*ck off" middle finger at them. I'll own whatever and however many guns I wanna own. They can drive their Prius and I'll drive my F-350 and I'll leave "them" alone and not question their decisions. I don't wanna go down any road that leads me to a "Where did so and so get all the guns?".

My friend at works "laughs" at my seventeen firearms, cuz he owns roughly a hundred and seventeen and I'm not even embellishing. The guy has a basement in NH that is better stocked than Carl's entire Four Seasons shop on any given day. He eats grilled cheeses for lunch almost daily and eats cheap pasta and Ragu for dinner, but has GUNZ that my wife's heavily armed family in Arizona are jealous of.

My friend next door owns seven cars. Three for his own and family's needs, and four that he tinkers with, refurbishes, etc. The guy spends literally all of his "spare" cash on cars but can't make ends meet every month or two and has to work overtime and sell stuff on Craigslist or eBay to keep the bill collectors at bay. His wife is nearing the breaking point and is almost ready to throw his Mr. Fixit ass out the door and instead marry a level-headed, financially wise, handsome stud like my wife did 30 years ago.
[emoji6]
I think he's "nuts" for constantly blowing his nut on (new lug) nuts...but he wants to own lots of cars. Period. Doesn't "need" them, just... wants them.

Why do I own a gun? Because I want to. Why do I own 17 guns now? Because I can't afford the 18th just yet. Why do I buy Stolichnaya instead of cheap vodka? Cuz I want to. I personally think anyone who blows their $$ on season tickets to the Pats is foolish, since I can sit home in dry, cozy warmth, pay a buck a beer and watch them ten feet away on my beautiful hi-def TV for the cost of my daily payment to Xfinity cable.. while my brother pays ten times that for a lousy glass of cheap draft, and sits three rows from the top in a section at Gillette Stadium that I'm fairly certain is in Wrentham or Mansfield, watching Brady (if that's even him, since you can barely make out the uniform numbers from up there even with binoculars) call signals from the distant line of scrimmage.

I don't care where or why anyone got their one or many guns, or why they got them and keep them. And I don't want anyone else caring where I nor this (obvious) as*hole got his. If I spent less on internet porn and put the monthly savings in a piggy bank, I'd have enough to buy one hell of an impressive evil "assault rifle" Christmas gift every year.

(SARCASM, but..you get my point. The guy's an ass but I don't wanna go the "He's an ass AND he has 'too many' damned guns" route that the Globe and WBZ will infer to their readers/viewers).

Just sayin'

Last edited:
In the article they made it clear testimony was given stating she was forced out of the house.
Yep. Another reference (my emphasis added): http://www.gazettenet.com/Trial-of-...ription-of-improperly-stored-arsenal-12519903

Defense attorney Elizabeth Rodriguez-Ross, in her opening statement, wasted no time in attacking the charges against her client.
“This case was built on lies,” she said.

She said that Fleury was facing charges because he had been lured out of his house to the Pelham Police Department with a lie.

“He is here today, charged with improper storage, because the police themselves made it so,” she said.

She also noted Fleury’s extensive weapons collection, saying that he had a gun from every war in which the United States had participated.

“That’s not the problem,” she said. “He owned those guns, possessed them lawfully.”

She noted that Fleury’s wife, Jacalyn Fleury, who was removed from the house before the search, is also a licensed gun owner. Rodriguez-Ross also urged the jury to pay close attention to what they hear, including the items Fleury had on him when he was arrested.

“Does this seem a little off? Was it intentional? Was he tricked?” Rodriguez-Ross asked.

I remember back in the day, 70's to be more specific. Friends would come over to visit, and it didnt matter where they sat down, there was always a LUMP under the cushion of whatever sofa, or chair they sat on. My dad had a gun under every cushion in every room..... We still laugh about it to this day, bless his soul......

As "comforting" as that may have been, I'll bet it was quite uncomfortable sitting on those guns. [laugh]

Every freaking cable lock that comes with your purchase can be taken care of with a pair of bolt cutters in seconds, and the trigger locks aren't much better. What about those metal StackOn locking gun cabinets that tons of people use for firearm storage? Those are easy to force with a crowbar and light enough to cart them away.

And extend that to ammo storage. Everyone who keeps their ammo in a locking file cabinet or locked ammo cans. Hell, I can destroy either one of those in a matter of minutes with a crowbar. Does that mean our ammo isn't safely stored?

No, this is a railroad job, and it's not only bad for Fleury, it's bad for us, too. I hope he's well lawyered up, because he's going to **** us all over if he's not.

Indeed! Every lock can be broken, safe/box/case can be broken open. The "good" Masterlock trigger locks only require a pair of channelocks to twist off and break the lock.

This is nothing short of a railroad job to screw Fleury and in the process screw every one of us as well if it sets a court "precedent" case.

BTW, ammo storage is strictly a FD/Fire Marshal issue and thus the police have no say and can't bring charges.

The "Thin Blue Line" is very protective of LEOs, BUT only as long as they aren't out to get a particular LEO. Revenge in LE is not uncommon and is oftentimes extremely vicious.

Also realize that the DA's job is to try to paint the person in the most heinous way possible to try to convince a judge/jury that the person is as evil as Hannibal Lector! That's why it's necessary to have the best, most competent defense attorney possible to blow holes in the DA's BS.

Back
Top Bottom