Parts Washer/How do you clean?

I'm thinking of buying an automotive type parts washer to clean my firearms. Do any of you use this type of recirculating solvent system and if so what are you using for a solvent? Gunscrubber and M Pro 7 are getting too expensive the way I go through them and I am really fussy about keeping my firearms clean. I am also interested in what others do for cleaning and maintenance, how often, and what products.

Regards,
Chris

ChristosX said:
I'm thinking of buying an automotive type parts washer to clean my firearms. Do any of you use this type of recirculating solvent system and if so what are you using for a solvent? Gunscrubber and M Pro 7 are getting too expensive the way I go through them and I am really fussy about keeping my firearms clean. I am also interested in what others do for cleaning and maintenance, how often, and what products.

Regards,
Chris

The gunsmith at the Gander Mountain I work at has an automotive parts washer in his shop. I'll try to remember to ask him what he's using for solvent in it when I see him next.

Regards
John

I use a small parts washer like you describe. I use a commercial product called Safety Clean. My local mechanic has the service come to his shop and and he buys me a five gallon container. This lasts me about a year. I wear latex gloves with this product. Greg

LenS said:
Ed's Red might also be a reasonable cost solution. DIY formula easily found with Google.

In the parts washer, or as an alternative to the Gunscrubber and such?

If I remember correctly, it was formulated as an all purpose Cleaner/Lube/Protector, and I think that a parts washer should just use a cleaning solvent.

Also, IIRC, Ed's Red uses Acetone as the solvent, and isn't that flammable? Parts washers usually use non-flammable solvents, like Stoddard Solvent.

As far as cleaning goes, I wonder if anyone here has tried that DunkIt pail that Cylinder & Slide sells?

BTW, as far as non-traditional cleaners go, I've got the video on gun cleaning from AGI, and the gunsmith in that one recomended SIMPLE GREEN as being great for cleaning guns, while being mild and kind to your hands.

Apparently Hoppes and similar stuff will do a job on your skin if it's exposed to it for long periods of time.

Regards
John

Just about anything will do harm to your skin as far as cleaning chemicals go. Solvent proof gloves that are mid forearm length work best for protecting your hands. Nothing worse than having the cleaner squirt up your arm and run down into your gloves.
Nothern Equipment and Supply offers a solvent that has an additive to prevent flash rust. Some of these chems are so powerful of a degreaser that they strip the metal completely of any oil. Most have a lid that can be closed and keeps fumes from seeping out. I supose you could mix Ed's Red and leave out the acetone. A mix of kerosene and atf transmission fluid should still work for cleaning and not be as hazardous as a tank full of acetone and mineral spirits.

Simple Green works very well, but as others have pointed out it is water based. You need to be very careful to dry anything you clean with it and use plenty of oil afterwards to prevent rust. Break Free works very, very well for this.

Thanks to Milsurps 4 Me for the guidance on that.

For those that are interested, I saw a small parts washer at Advance Auto Parts a couple of weeks ago. I think the price was around $40.00 or so, plus the cleaning solvent.

Gary

Milsurps 4 Me said:
A mix of kerosene and atf transmission fluid should still work for cleaning and not be as hazardous as a tank full of acetone and mineral spirits.

...or kerosene and Marvel Mystery oil.

We have a parts washer in our shop. It is a big one that gets serviced every month. It isn't a tough, grime cutting solution. It is really meant to clean off grease and loose debris. I don't scrub my barrel or anything so the parts washer in combination with Brake Kleen works well when I clean my guns at the shop.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I supose you could mix Ed's Red and leave out the acetone. A mix of kerosene and atf transmission fluid should still work for cleaning and not be as hazardous as a tank full of acetone and mineral spirits.

IIRC, Ed recomended putting a little 50/50 Kerosene/ATF aside for use as an Ed's Red compatable GUN OIL, which suggests, at least to me, that you probably won't get too much cleaning action out of it. But I'm not a chemical engineer, nor do I play one on TV, so I very well might be wrong about that.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom