• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Parts and/or suggestions for my Savage 111?

I've been poking around the net for a while now and haven't been able to find anything for my Savage 111, it's a .30-06.

I know it's probably more accurate than my abilities right out of the box, but I was looking for a few basic parts like a barrel, stock, or maybe a trigger. I don't have the accu-trigger, can I order one from Savage and drop it in?

I still have the 3x9 Simmons scope that came with it, is that enough for 200 yards, or should I upgrade that too?

As always, any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks guys.

meth0d,
What are you planning to do with the rifle? Bench rest or just a plinker? What are you shooting at 200 yards? Whitetails or prarie dogs? Your rifle might be good to go just like it is.

I've got a Savage model 10 and a model 11. Both in .308. The model 10 came with a proof target from the factory with three shots going into .285". It's got a really great trigger (IMHO) on it. When I do my part, off the bench, with good ammo, I can keep three shot groups within an inch. Like you said, "...more accurate than my abilities..."

Shortly after I ordered the rifle, Savage announced the introduction of the Accu-Trigger. I called the custom shop and asked if my rifle could be made up with this new trigger. I was told that my rifle had already been started and that the receivers were different between the two trigger systems. Like I said before, the rifle has a great trigger and I'm happy with it. The trigger breaks well at three pounds and passes the drop test. I mounted a Leupold M8 2.5 x 28mm IER "Scout Scope" on it and chose to break the barrel with the "shoot-one-clean" routine. It is not a sniper rifle, but I've consistantly hit full size pepper poppers with it at 400 yards. That is not the purpose of the rifle, but it is good to know that we can do it if the need arises.

My model 11 has the Accu-Trigger on it and it is sweet!

I think that you should save your money and not buy a bunch of parts (barrel, stock, and trigger) until you find out what you can do with the rifle as it is. If you don't like the trigger, take it to a gunsmith and have him work on it. While he is in there, he might find a thing or two that he could clean up like the bedding or barrel channel. Your scope is fine as long as it is serviceable. Just check to make sure it is mounted correctly.

Buying a bunch of expensive aftermaket parts won't help you sight, hold, or squeeze the rifle any better. You would be better off to invest some time in practicing the fundementals of marksmanship. If you've got the cash, take a shooting class with the rifle. Unless of course you are just one of those guys who like to tinker with stuff!

Bottom line- dry fire a bunch and save you money for more ammo!

Check Midway for triggers. I have a Timney on my two Ruger M77 MKII and they are very nice. They may have barrels and the tools to rebarrel your Savage.

meth0d,
What are you planning to do with the rifle? Bench rest or just a plinker? What are you shooting at 200 yards? Whitetails or prarie dogs? Your rifle might be good to go just like it is.

I've got a Savage model 10 and a model 11. Both in .308. The model 10 came with a proof target from the factory with three shots going into .285". It's got a really great trigger (IMHO) on it. When I do my part, off the bench, with good ammo, I can keep three shot groups within an inch. Like you said, "...more accurate than my abilities..."

Shortly after I ordered the rifle, Savage announced the introduction of the Accu-Trigger. I called the custom shop and asked if my rifle could be made up with this new trigger. I was told that my rifle had already been started and that the receivers were different between the two trigger systems. Like I said before, the rifle has a great trigger and I'm happy with it. The trigger breaks well at three pounds and passes the drop test. I mounted a Leupold M8 2.5 x 28mm IER "Scout Scope" on it and chose to break the barrel with the "shoot-one-clean" routine. It is not a sniper rifle, but I've consistantly hit full size pepper poppers with it at 400 yards. That is not the purpose of the rifle, but it is good to know that we can do it if the need arises.

My model 11 has the Accu-Trigger on it and it is sweet!

I think that you should save your money and not buy a bunch of parts (barrel, stock, and trigger) until you find out what you can do with the rifle as it is. If you don't like the trigger, take it to a gunsmith and have him work on it. While he is in there, he might find a thing or two that he could clean up like the bedding or barrel channel. Your scope is fine as long as it is serviceable. Just check to make sure it is mounted correctly.

Buying a bunch of expensive aftermaket parts won't help you sight, hold, or squeeze the rifle any better. You would be better off to invest some time in practicing the fundementals of marksmanship. If you've got the cash, take a shooting class with the rifle. Unless of course you are just one of those guys who like to tinker with stuff!

Bottom line- dry fire a bunch and save you money for more ammo!

Brilliant!! This was just the kind of response I was hoping for.

Mostly I'll just be plinking with it, but I may eventually get into Whitetail hunting. I think you hit it right on the head with the suggestion of taking a class or two to work on my fundamentals. Although I do enjoy tinkering with things, haha.

Thanks again +1

I had not seen the thread.
Stocks:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Classic-Replacement-Stocks-Savage-s/35.htm
http://rifle-stocks.com/

Parts/Barrels: http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=221
http://www.midwayusa.com/
http://www.grafs.com/shooting/3610

I have an older 110 Sierra lite in 7mm Rem Mag that is outstanding as is. The only thing I changed is the scope. I put a Weaver V10 38mm on it. VG scope for the Money. I kept the split Weaver rings and mounts. Another scope to check out is Sightron. I put a 4.5-14x42mmAO S2 on my HB .308. It is outstanding. You don't need to change much on a Savage. Mine is still great after 12+ years. JP

My .02

If you want to do anything to that rifle, the best money spent will be replacing that scope with just about ANYTHING else. Anything out past 50yds with that scope, and if you don't have the EXACT same position on the rifle, and your groups will open WAY up. I put a Bushnell on my Savage, and the difference is like night and day!

Savage just came out with the Accustock.

Instead of the regular pillars,, it has an aluminum mounting block inside the stock. Beats bedding.

I would check with Savage Arms.

Savage just came out with the Accustock.

Instead of the regular pillars,, it has an aluminum mounting block inside the stock. Beats bedding.

I would check with Savage Arms.

That sounds like the H-S Precision stock they're using in the precision Varminters. It's a nice setup and a nice stock, H-S should start selling them separately soon. They may not backwards compatible with older 110s - Savage changed their magazine feed system, and if the H-S is new, than it probably just works with the current centerfeed magazines that started a couple years aga, not the older staggered feed. Something to check into before dropping some cash, anyway.

That sounds like the H-S Precision stock they're using in the precision Varminters. It's a nice setup and a nice stock, H-S should start selling them separately soon. They may not backwards compatible with older 110s - Savage changed their magazine feed system, and if the H-S is new, than it probably just works with the current centerfeed magazines that started a couple years aga, not the older staggered feed. Something to check into before dropping some cash, anyway.

I don't think so. IIRC the Savage rep in the article stated it would only increase the cost of production rifles by $10 or so.

Thanks guys, +1 all around.

Are the 111 and 110 pretty much interchangeable? I've been confused over this from the start...this would be a good place for an embarrassed smiley

Also, I have been bummin' around savageshooters.com picking up lots of info. :)

I don't think so. IIRC the Savage rep in the article stated it would only increase the cost of production rifles by $10 or so.

That would be nice! The H-S stocks are nice, but $$$$. You're right, it shouldn't cost much more to add a mounting block to their stocks than it would to put in those flat pillars attached to a round receiver.

As long as they keep making lefty rifles, I'll keep buying them. [smile]

Thanks guys, +1 all around.

Are the 111 and 110 pretty much interchangeable? I've been confused over this from the start...this would be a good place for an embarrassed smiley

Also, I have been bummin' around savageshooters.com picking up lots of info. :)

The 10/110 has a blind magazine, the 11/111 has a detachable box magazine. Other than magazine parts and which stock fits, everything else should be the same.

My nephew was in the market for deer rifle. He's only going to use it once a year in VT. He went to Dick's this morning and picked one up in 30-06 for $339 and it came with a cheap scope. Should be good enough for what he's going to use it for. Only thing is, I don't believe it has the AccuTrigger.

meth0d, how did you end up liking your 111?

I love it, I've been out of work for a little while (as I'm attending 4 C's) so I haven't been able to put any money into it. Nor can I afford much ammo, so the ever expensive 20 rounds of .30-06 for $20 has been out of reach.

I'd like to get a new scope for it, maybe a 4-16x40, but I'd definitely recommend it, should certainly fit his annual use purposes.

My nephew was in the market for deer rifle. He's only going to use it once a year in VT. He went to Dick's this morning and picked one up in 30-06 for $339 and it came with a cheap scope. Should be good enough for what he's going to use it for. Only thing is, I don't believe it has the AccuTrigger.

meth0d, how did you end up liking your 111?

Jon,
Like I said in my reply on page 1 the best money spent will be replacing that scope. The Simmons scopes that come on the Savage rifles, while bright and clear optics, are more likely to frustrate your nephew while sighting in that rifle. When you are looking at your target through the scope, simply tilting your head a little will change the position of the cross-hairs on the target. There is also no parallax adjustment to compensate for this.

I love it, I've been out of work for a little while (as I'm attending 4 C's) so I haven't been able to put any money into it. Nor can I afford much ammo, so the ever expensive 20 rounds of .30-06 for $20 has been out of reach.

I'd like to get a new scope for it, maybe a 4-16x40, but I'd definitely recommend it, should certainly fit his annual use purposes.

Yes, it should suit his needs.

Jon,
Like I said in my reply on page 1 the best money spent will be replacing that scope. The Simmons scopes that come on the Savage rifles, while bright and clear optics, are more likely to frustrate your nephew while sighting in that rifle. When you are looking at your target through the scope, simply tilting your head a little will change the position of the cross-hairs on the target. There is also no parallax adjustment to compensate for this.
Duly noted. I told him that we should replace it with something better but he wants to give it a try. He likes to do things the hard way[wink]

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom