• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Parade Creates Criminal Parents

So if having empty brass in massachusetts is a crime without an LTC, then why the hell does the Police allow it ?

The parade today had some nice honor guard shooting blanks from their M1's. They just let the brass fall to the ground, the kids were scooping it up like it was... well candy. The police that followed them did nothing. Those souvenirs are worth 5 years to the parents in this state...

This is exactly why the normal population has no idea how far the laws go. If the police would have confiscated all the brass directly from their candy bags, people would know their local government is whacked.

which is why they didnt do it. Anything that lets the public realise how stupid laws are is discuraged. Just let the vast majority of people live in there own little world where everything makes sense and there are no problems... thats why a AR-15 is a 'weapon of war' but SWAT guys in armored MRAP's with M4's and full falusia tacktical gear is just 'being ready'....

Five years, did they up it?!

Last I saw it was only up to two years for brass. Every time I've taken folks to the range who don't have any licensing I'm like a ferret on crack making sure that that have none. They never believe me until either someone else verifies it or I've shown them the law(it's been awhile).

Five years, did they up it?!

Last I saw it was only up to two years for brass. Every time I've taken folks to the range who don't have any licensing I'm like a ferret on crack making sure that that have none. They never believe me until either someone else verifies it or I've shown them the law(it's been awhile).

Well, actually, The State (i.e. "Zee Fuhrer") can "up" (increase) penalties on you anytime they choose to, for any reason, including "judge with constipation that goes to his head...."

The State (i.e. "Zee Gestapo) can "drop" (lower) penalties also, on a whim, without legislation or public hearing, but only provided you meet one of the established criteria: You must be...

A) a murdering, non-English speaking rapist from a foreign country
B) wanted for several felony assaults and/or robberies in "approved" cities and towns (i.e. Newark, NJ.. Detroit, MI... Baltimore, MD...etc. Full list avalable at Mass.gov)
C) a nephew, niece, in-law, friend, acquaintance, neighbor, former constituent, or "One of my Peeps" of former State Senator Dianne Wilkerson
D) a member of any law enforcement agency (or know someone who is...)

etc etc... [wink]

So if having empty brass in massachusetts is a crime without an LTC, then why the hell does the Police allow it ?

The parade today had some nice honor guard shooting blanks from their M1's. They just let the brass fall to the ground, the kids were scooping it up like it was... well candy. The police that followed them did nothing. Those souvenirs are worth 5 years to the parents in this state...

This is exactly why the normal population has no idea how far the laws go. If the police would have confiscated all the brass directly from their candy bags, people would know their local government is whacked.

I don't recall the exact language of the law, but brass falls under the definition of "reloading components".

To the best of my knowledge, brass from blanks can't be reloaded into live ammo (at least none of the 5.56 or 7.62 blanks that I've ever seen... not certain about 30.06).

Last edited:

The solution isn't to loosen controls on reloading components or ammo in general, but to require Honor Guards to yell "BANG!"

Oppps I mean to whisper "bang" softly so as not to burden or frighten our dogs or our delicate veteran troops who have PTSD.

Right, selective enforcement, got ya.

So why do we have the law again if they are used as parade confetti for children ?

I prefer the term discretion or common sense - but I suppose that is just semantics. We shouldn't have such a dumb law. I'd like to believe that was never the intent of the law, to make felons out of 5 year olds at parades.

I don't recall the exact language of the law, but brass falls under the definition of "reloading components".

To the best of my knowledge, brass from blanks can't be reloaded into live ammo (at least none of the 5.56 or 7.62 blanks that I've ever seen... not certain about 30.06).

Its a felony in Mass

The solution isn't to loosen controls on reloading components or ammo in general, but to require Honor Guards to yell "BANG!"

Oppps I mean to whisper "bang" softly so as not to burden or frighten our dogs or our delicate veteran troops who have PTSD.

That would be unlawful possession and use of a silencer during the commission of a felony (facilitating the unlicensed possession of ammunition components with the aggravated circumstances of the recipient being a minor). That's 30-350 years using Common Core math.

To the kids who collected up that fired brass:

Hold on to it. Someday you will trim those necks down and put them to good use...

If Little Johnny gets caught at school with one, I would not be willing to bet a single one of the adults racing to sound the alarm to drop the zero tolerance hammer on him would make such a distinction. Furthermore, if by some miracle someone did point out that the brass was blank-specific, those involved in jamming up Little Johnny would claim the distinction is irrelevant. At best Little Johnny's lawyer could use that in the child's defense, but in front of a MA judge I suspect the school district would prevail. The state would be dying to throw Little Johnny under the MRAP.

Last edited:
A well worded letter to one's local paper might expose some of the undecideds to the absurdity of MA gun laws. I bet many of the police don't even know of this restriction.

Empty shell casings in MA are classified as ammunition. Yes. it is stupid. I have reloaded 30-06 and 7.62x51 blanks into "live" ammo before just to see if it could be done. They worked OK. 5.56 could be done, but you'd be trimming off a lot of brass (that crimped conical end of the round) - too much effort to do manually and the trimmers I use (Dillon) would probably not work that well...with the extra length the cutter would be into the case mouth well before the shell case was stabilized in the die and I'd expect things would get torn up pretty good.

If Little Johnny gets caught at school with one, I would not be willing to bet a single one of the adults racing to sound the alarm to drop the zero tolerance hammer on him would make such a distinction. Furthermore, if by some miracle someone did point out that the brass was blank-specific, those involved in jamming up Little Johnny would claim the distinction is irrelevant. At best Little Johnny's lawyer could use that in the child's defense, but in front of a MA judge I suspect the school district would prevail. The state would be dying to throw Little Johnny under the MRAP.

This. kid brings it to school to show friends and teacher sees it or he drops it...school lock down and kid will be suspended. remember there is a zero tolerance policy.
Pro-gunners Posting signs about this would be a great idea. "Did you pick up brass? You're a felon!"

Delicate? When people shoot at you and try to blow you up then you will react more quickly to threats.
Choose your f***ing words wisely.

Warning! May cause drowsiness. Take with food. Wait one hour before posting on the internet...

"They just locked down a school in town for an spent .22 and now you're dropping M1 rifle casings... in front of school age kids... in front of the same school. Give me a second to gaze into my crystal ball to a date sometime shortly after Labor Day."

This. kid brings it to school to show friends and teacher sees it or he drops it...school lock down and kid will be suspended. remember there is a zero tolerance policy.
Beat me to it!
Pro-gunners Posting signs about this would be a great idea. "Did you pick up brass? You're a felon!"
Awesome idea.

Last edited:
Or maybe - just maybe - the officers weren't dickheads? Sometimes the simplest explanation...

Good point. You're suggesting that even LEO's recognize the idiocy of Massachusetts gun laws. The danger is that it can be up to the discretion of the individual officer, i.e.: one officer will see a kid with a harmless souvenir but the next sees a dangerous crime being committed.

IANAL, but IIRC unlicensed possession of ammo is a two-year misdemeanor, but with the "gun crime" bonus, making future issuance of an FID or LTC a problem.

AFAIK, whether or not fired blanks are ammo or not had been taken to court has not happened; but a couple of years ago, a school eas locked down because of an ammo scare, and that was due to empty Hilti power loads.

I think one of the kids should bring it to school for show and tell. Let the idiocy become front page news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IANAL, but IIRC unlicensed possession of ammo is a two-year misdemeanor, but with the "gun crime" bonus, making future issuance of an FID or LTC a problem.

AFAIK, whether or not fired blanks are ammo or not had been taken to court has not happened; but a couple of years ago, a school eas locked down because of an ammo scare, and that was due to empty Hilti power loads.

Hahaha before they're used they are legal blanks, after they are used they are ammo! OMG

Hahaha before they're used they are legal blanks, after they are used they are ammo! OMG

The "foresight" that mAss uses when passing legislation is truly remarkable.

I seem to recall them passing some silly law a couple years back (50 can ban?) that made ceremonies/re-enactments a crime since most muskets/bp guns use a projectile larger than 50.

Back
Top Bottom