• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Panic buying at Shooting Supply in Westport, Ma. today.

I shoot the dreaded unsupported chamber Glock 22 Fotay and am waiting to blow one up with my reloads........

I know a guy who reloads and shoots 155 gr lead bullets out of his factory G22 all the time (he's a mega skinflint) and still hasn't blown his gun up. He's been casting and loading for that gun for years, too.

-Mike

Used to be a thing for our gang to hang at the club on Wed eves. Locally prominent attorney comes in, shows off his new G22, goes in to the indoor range, and in a few minutes, after a louder than normal bang, comes out visibly shaken with the gun in two pieces. Factory ammo, American Eagle. Perhaps a month later he comes in, shows off his gun, tells us all how Glock fixed it right up for free. Yup....a minute or two later, deja vu, after a louder than normal bang he comes out with the gun in two pieces. Two rounds he got off. Factory American Eagle.

I was holding the timer behind a good friend of mine..."standy by" ...beep, bang bang BOOM. G22....Factory American Eagle ammo. He ended up bleeding a little but no real damage. He don't shoot Glocks no more.

No its not. That's probably double what it usually costs. I think in regular times I reloaded for 7-8cents a round with bulk. And still can because I have the components bought at normal prices. The most expensive thing is the bullet.

In good times 9mm bulk target ammo is 0.14-0.16 a round plus tax. 2 weeks ago I was looking at prices for target 9 at Target sports around 130-150 dollars a case. What people are paying now....is full retard.

Likely they are trying to get a high price for thier components by offering them in a seemingly cheap package. But reality is the cost of that package in normal times is about 100 dollars. Bullets usually $40, Powder $30, Primers $32.00. And those are high average. Two weeks ago it made more sense to buy a case of 9 than reload it, if you didn't have the time.

Not to reminisce but back in 2005 or so, you could get 9mm 115gr plated bullets for about 3c each. Primers were $11/k. I think I was reloading boxes of 9’s for $2.50. Those were the days my friend.

Used to be a thing for our gang to hang at the club on Wed eves. Locally prominent attorney comes in, shows off his new G22, goes in to the indoor range, and in a few minutes, after a louder than normal bang, comes out visibly shaken with the gun in two pieces. Factory ammo, American Eagle. Perhaps a month later he comes in, shows off his gun, tells us all how Glock fixed it right up for free. Yup....a minute or two later, deja vu, after a louder than normal bang he comes out with the gun in two pieces. Two rounds he got off. Factory American Eagle.

I was holding the timer behind a good friend of mine..."standy by" ...beep, bang bang BOOM. G22....Factory American Eagle ammo. He ended up bleeding a little but no real damage. He don't shoot Glocks no more.
Maybe he should have stopped using that ammo... [rofl] was it 180 or 165?

-Mike

There are only two kinds of Glock owners: Those who have blown up a gun or two and those who will someday.

Maybe he should have stopped using that ammo... [rofl] was it 180 or 165?

-Mike
Actually....the lawyer? ...it was the same box.....probably even some of the rounds he took out when the gun blew the first time....in retrospect maybe not such a great idea.....

Actually....the lawyer? ...it was the same box.....probably even some of the rounds he took out when the gun blew the first time....in retrospect maybe not such a great idea.....
Yeah, that's the definition of not very bright... first thing to do with a kaboom is quarantine the bad ammo- all of it.

There are only two kinds of home reloaders: Those who have blown up a gun or two and those who will someday. [cheers]
I bulged a cylinder on a Smith, 629, 44 magnum years ago. Does that count? Smith replaced the cylinder for $ 150.00 and sent a note with the gun suggesting I stop pushing the envelope.

Well I figure at some point there will be people that have more firearms than available funds and will have to sell off some. Maybe I’m wrong though

Well I figure at some point there will be people that have more firearms than available funds and will have to sell off some. Maybe I’m wrong though

As much as I hate to say it, watch the weekly unemployment reports as this gets worse and you’ll see lots of options open up.

I've been reloading since I was in middle school, I've rolled some that were a little too warm before, but in thousands of rounds I've never blown up or damaged a gun.

This^

I shoot the dreaded unsupported chamber Glock 22 Fotay and am waiting to blow one up with my reloads........

I reload for my G27, but early on I switched to an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber and conventional rifling, it's just the ticket for unjacketed cast lead bullets.

I bulged a cylinder on a Smith, 629, 44 magnum years ago. Does that count? Smith replaced the cylinder for $ 150.00 and sent a note with the gun suggesting I stop pushing the envelope.

At one of the Monadnock shoots maybe 10 years ago a member was shooting handloads in a S&W 500 and locked the cylinder up tight as a drum...

As someone who was "one of those people" at a few different times in my life that's not quite how that works, or you make it sound like there will be tons of these guys floating around all at once. It doesn't work that way. Problem is not all of these people are
going to sell their shit all at the same time. It's kind of random. To buy guns like that you have to be sharp as a tack and have your "ears to the rail" because they don't sit around long. When I used to list guns on here most of them I never had to bump. Many were gone (or at least I had enough people that wanted it) in under an hour, etc.

Typically when gun guys are hard up for cash one of 3 things happen: (mostly depending on how fast they need cash)

-someone dumps their guns at a dealer and gets hosed, dealer might give 50% of value. (I normally would use the term rape here, but from a business POV you're asking a dealer to buy shit they don't want, that puts them in a shitty position and the only way they're going to make out on the back end is if they get the guns for cheap
-aggresive consignment pricing (minus the 15-20% you get hosed)
-aggressive classifieds/armslist pricing (100 less than current new purchase cost, maybe more depending on what it is)

For any of these situations to work in the Buyer's favor the "buyer has to be there, with cash" when the deal
appears. Or at least a firm commitment... Even a few hours off, poof, it's gone. The sellers cutting good deals for quick
sales don't want wafflers, they want to sell the guns. They know what they have and they want to unload it. And they wanted to do it yesterday.

If you want to be that guy that gets to buy the good shit from the formerly-poor-saps-like-what-I-was, type
deal, if that makes sense... you gotta be ready to move. Assuming you find a deal somewhere, you have to
be what I would call politely aggressive; not so much aggressive but.... roll out the red carpet for the seller. Take that 1000
bucks or whatever it was you were planning on blowing, and put it in an envelope in your gun safe. No busted ATMs or any
of that BS. No "I have to go to the bank it has to wait until friday" eff that noise. Then when you find something you like at a price you like "Hey I am interested in your XYZ, I have $XXX cash, I can meet you (insert nights your available here) will meet at location/ffl/etc of your choice, if you can't think of something, If you want to do FFL trans I'll split it with you at so and sos. I have the cash we could also do an EFA10 at my office across the street from the bank downtown" That kind of thing. If a seller lists a firm price, do not lowball him. He will get pissed and not return your PM/email/text/whatever. That just shows that you didn't read the ad. If he lists OBO then you can pitch an offer below the listed price, but if you get too aggressive it will work against you. If a seller gets 5 things in his inbox, he's going to pick the guy that rolls out the red carpet the most every
time. I know because I was that guy selling shit, too many times. Unless one of the respondents was a personal friend from here or wherever, I always ended up picking the one that was the easiest to deal with. In some cases I even took a price cut for it,
too.

If you are going to ask any questions ask them right out of the gate, in the first comms you send the guy. "I want your gun but I want to know if the bore is in decent shape, blah blah blah etc". One thing that pisses sellers off, although they rarely admit
it, is buyer that aren't assertive, kick tires too much, etc. Especially if the thing they're selling is at an appealing price.

This below applies mostly to sellers, but in this case, if you want to "win" you have to adopt this ethos as a buyer, too...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz246_Pjjkc

See Also: @Roland Deschain will approve

View: https://youtu.be/cohgqx_M454

"because winning this game is like having bobcats on booze" [rofl]

At one of the Monadnock shoots maybe 10 years ago a member was shooting handloads in a S&W 500 and locked the cylinder up tight as a drum...

Did something actually break on the gun, or was it caused by an ammo malfunction, such as a primer backing out, or a bullet in another chamber pulling forward past its crimp under recoil forces?

Good luck with that.

More realistically perhaps is waiting for the coronavirus to pass, then looking for the people who panic bought their first firearm. Some number of them will now sell it because they think they don't need it any more - or their wives don't want it in the house.

Well, made another attempt Saturday, mainly cuz I had nothing else to do. Tried three different shops, all the same. lines, lines, lines! I ended up at Armour Sports, there weren't a lot of cars out front so I thought sweet may be able to poke around...boy was I wrong, place was packed plus I heard the gentleman behind the counter say that NICS was down.

Back
Top Bottom