• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Panic buying at Shooting Supply in Westport, Ma. today.

same here. literally have no where to set up a press since I'm in an apt. lucky to have barely enough space to keep the ammo I have stored and out of plain site (mostly).
You can reload ammo on your coffee table with a Lee loader and a couple of accessories, not the fastest way but it works, and it's cheap, and takes up no space.

This is out of the box thinking. Got a email from Shooting Supply. They are selling a ammo kit:

$145.96
1000 ROUNDS OF 9MM
Ammo Kit Includes:
1000 9MM 115 Grain Copper Plated Bullets
1000 CCI or Winchester Small Pistol Primers
1 lb of Winchester 231 Pistol Powder
Reload and SAVE MONEY we can show you how.
Some Assembly Required, Brass Not Included.

Had today off anyway so went by for shit's and giggles, line if front of the door....no thanks. Drove right by, turned around and came home.
I was behind 6 or 7 people to start and was in the door in about 15 minutes. As soon as one came out another went in. Since there were only a few people inside and I knew what I wanted I was back out in two minutes.

This is out of the box thinking. Got a email from Shooting Supply. They are selling a ammo kit:

$145.96
1000 ROUNDS OF 9MM
Ammo Kit Includes:
Is that considered a good deal these days? 14.6¢/round (plus tax and cost of reusable brass) for 9mm? [thinking] I've been out of reloading for a very long time. Still have the equipment, but that cost per round sounds high. I keep hearing folks brag about reloading 9mm for pennies, but perhaps they are casting their own bullets from 'free' scrap lead. [mg]

Is that considered a good deal these days? 14.6¢/round (plus tax and cost of reusable brass) for 9mm? [thinking] I've been out of reloading for a very long time. Still have the equipment, but that cost per round sounds high. I keep hearing folks brag about reloading 9mm for pennies, but perhaps they are casting their own bullets from 'free' scrap lead. [mg]

No its not. That's probably double what it usually costs. I think in regular times I reloaded for 7-8cents a round with bulk. And still can because I have the components bought at normal prices. The most expensive thing is the bullet.

In good times 9mm bulk target ammo is 0.14-0.16 a round plus tax. 2 weeks ago I was looking at prices for target 9 at Target sports around 130-150 dollars a case. What people are paying now....is full retard.

Likely they are trying to get a high price for thier components by offering them in a seemingly cheap package. But reality is the cost of that package in normal times is about 100 dollars. Bullets usually $40, Powder $30, Primers $32.00. And those are high average. Two weeks ago it made more sense to buy a case of 9 than reload it, if you didn't have the time.

Last edited:
That would be about $7.30 a box. Not too bad. I can load my 9MM with Blue Bullets, Titegroup and Federal Primers for about 11 cents apiece. Have never had to buy brass. So that's about $5.50 a box. Cheaper when I cast my own heads.

I don't have exact numbers, I did approximations yesterday and came up .12 for a 124 grn Xtreme loaded over 4.0 of Titegroup in recovered (picked up from range) brass.

If I were better at match, I could come up with a more exact number - problem for me is that I order different quantities of materials from different vendors - and sometimes I pay hazmat, sometimes I pay shipping and sometimes I have discount codes.

Nope
Fed Syntec on t.s.u.s.a. was around .20 cents a round a week or so ago, and thats "factory stuff"

Black bullets is about $76 per 1000 124's
Xtreme plated 124's was about $38 per 500
For about $105 they sell a "reloading kit", - 500 heads, 500 primed brass (not sure if they ship kits to this armpit of a state)
Pound of powder (win 231 in the quote) is about $22, not including hazmat
Win small pistol primers is about $30 per 1000
Roll the hazmat for primers and powder in the same order ($25 I think)

Then compare all that to whatevers in the "wts" reloading supplies section, which is usually much less.

Cost of a reloading press- anywhere from $50-$2000 depending on how retarded you want to get (I'm on my way to "full retard")

But, in all fairness, it is "supply and demand", so right now is not the best time to start.

$145.96
1000 ROUNDS OF 9MM
Ammo Kit Includes:
That’s a cool package.
I don’t but bullets so I wanted to check how the pricing was. The cheapest plated on ammoseek was $86 per 1000
Primers are $34 per 1000
Powder is about $26 per pound right now.
The powder is good for close to 1700 rounds of ammo depending how you load it.
So you’re looking at about 13.5 cents a pop for 124 plated.
That’s not bad at all.
I never add in the cost of 9mm brass because there’s tons of it for free all over the ground at ranges. Same for 40 and 223.
Being self sufficient is priceless right now. The guys that could walk into shooting supply and grab a couple boxes of those 124 plated bullets are better off than everyone who was waiting for loaded ammo or buying the less desirable ammo because that’s all that was left.
We forget that places jack up their pricing ala 4S and factory (no doubt cheap) 9 was running 30 cents a round.
I would rather spend 13.5 cents and not have to wait in a deli line.

$145.96
1000 ROUNDS OF 9MM
Ammo Kit Includes:
That is almost what I pay for Blazer brass 9x19 aleady loaded, and that includes the brass.

same here. literally have no where to set up a press since I'm in an apt. lucky to have barely enough space to keep the ammo I have stored and out of plain site (mostly).

When I was living in an apartment, I made this little portable reloading station. It's single load at a time, so it's a little slow, but it'll get the job done. The only tools used were a hand saw, a coping saw, power drill, and wrenches. It was put together on a 2-family balcony.

Reloading_Bench_s.JPG

Last edited:
I dunno. I just put on the headphones, sit down and roll up however many I need. Takes about 4 songs for a couple hundred. Truth told, sometimes I'm a little disappointed that I'm done already. Who cares what they cost, I'm going shootin regardless, and they do shoot pretty darn good....well, except'n that one that blew the slide off that .45 a number of years back.

I dunno. I just put on the headphones, sit down and roll up however many I need. Takes about 4 songs for a couple hundred. Truth told, sometimes I'm a little disappointed that I'm done already. Who cares what they cost, I'm going shootin regardless, and they do shoot pretty darn good....well, except'n that one that blew the slide off that .45 a number of years back.
There are only two kinds of home reloaders: Those who have blown up a gun or two and those who will someday. [cheers]

I have been a gun owner for a few years , but i just go the range shoot and when i am short buy them... My shooting days are done till more stock is back up. I am low as i do not really stock pile as i have seen or heard of a shortage before. Plus wife is pissed as she has a few hundred in her caliber. I only do this for fun so hopefully they some 9mm back as i wanted to go have fun this weekend.

i have no intention of ever stockpile but maybe enough that i can still shoot for a month with no supply moving forward. total madness.

After Newtown - I ended buying a Ruger SR40c just to have something to shoot because all I could find was .40 and I refused to eat up any 9mm,556, 7.62 etc.

$145.96
1000 ROUNDS OF 9MM
Ammo Kit Includes:
Nice. But about $25 more than buying the components.

1K bullets = $60 (depending on place, some are cheaper).
W231 = $31 (I saw that process a few weeks ago at KTP).
1K primers = 31

Assuming you are not buying in bulk and you are not paying Hazmat fee on those small quantities. Those are in store, in MA prices (except for the bullets).

When I was living in an apartment, I made this little portable reloading station. It's single load at a time, so it's a little slow, but it'll get the job done. The only tools used were a hand saw, a coping saw, power drill, and wrenches. It was put together on a 2-family balcony.

View attachment 340503
I built this one for an apartment. It is a little bit of a mess in that pic because I was moving stuff around.
The lube sizer is now mounted on the other side.

it is roughly 24" wide and around 20" front to back.

It took me a total of 30 minutes to build it. I could have built it in 5minutes if I used standard sizes and didnt have to cut plywood and 2x4.

I will take another pic when it is clean.

20200321_220609.jpg

Nice. But about $25 more than buying the components.

1K bullets = $60 (depending on place, some are cheaper).
W231 = $31 (I saw that process a few weeks ago at KTP).
1K primers = 31

Assuming you are not buying in bulk and you are not paying Hazmat fee on those small quantities. Those are in store, in MA prices (except for the bullets).
Where are you finding plated bullets that cheap? The cheapest I saw on ammoseek was the 8.5 cents a pop. $60 is a cheap as can be. Almost to the point that I would consider buying some. PM me if it’s not to be shared out in the open.
I built this one for an apartment. It is a little bit of a mess in that pic because I was moving stuff around.
The lube sizer is now mounted on the other side.

it is roughly 24" wide and around 20" front to back.

It took me a total of 30 minutes to build it. I could have built it in 5minutes if I used standard sizes and didnt have to cut plywood and 2x4.

I will take another pic when it is clean.

View attachment 340636
Looks like a damn fine set up. I used to have a 24” deep and 30” wide bench that had a Dillon 550, an RCBS RS and a Star lubrisizer all packed on the front of it. Worked great for the apartment.

Where are you finding plated bullets that cheap? The cheapest I saw on ammoseek was the 8.5 cents a pop. $60 is a cheap as can be. Almost to the point that I would consider buying some. PM me if it’s not to be shared out in the open.

Oooops...I didnt see it said plated. I never purchased plated pistol bullets, so I dont know.

You can reload ammo on your coffee table with a Lee loader and a couple of accessories, not the fastest way but it works, and it's cheap, and takes up no space.

I use a lee loader wack a mole. Works fine and the brass works in both my mausers. Much easier to do in summer when i can sit outside and hammer vs inside

I use a lee loader wack a mole. Works fine and the brass works in both my mausers. Much easier to do in summer when i can sit outside and hammer vs inside
I have a few of them for my favorite calibers, sometimes I'll bring it to the range with a digital scale and a case trimmer and work up a load right on the spot, people get all confused, it's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom