PA carry

I have been reading and it appears that PA will not honor my LTC or my Utah non-resident.
Anyone familiar with rules about cap and ball pistols in PA? I am expecting a Diablo 12 ga soon and may bring it with me to a Hershey Park trip late summer. Thanks

PA changes every time the party holding the AG office changes. When a Dim is in office, they remove as many reciprocal agreements as they can (why NH Non-Res is gone). When a Rep is in office, they add everyone back.

The best choice is to get a PA non-resident.

If you are going camping, then you can bring your gun with you, unloaded and locked up. PA has no requirements to own, you just can't carry. Go to a county sheriff office and apply for your carry permit. If you pick the right county, then it will take 10 minutes and you will walk out with a non-resident permit.

Firearm/Gun Information for Each Pennsylvania County

The above link will tell you which counties are easy to get your NR

.....why do you want to carry that thing?

giphy.gif

Here's a couple of my posts from when I got my PA LTC.

In short: You have to go there and do it in person. Some counties, like Lancaster, won't issue to people outside their county, much less out of state (not sure how that's legal). Pick the right county and you walk out with the real card in hand, often in less than 20 minutes.

PA non-resident is easy to obtain and very quick. My wife and I both got our's last summer while passing through on our way to Ohio. We had our licenses in hand within 30 minutes or so, then chatted with the folks in the Sheriff's Office for another half hour. They were that friendly.

There is a thread on here where the various good counties are listed and discussed.

As other have said its very easy to get a LTC in the Commonwealth. We don't issue non-resident licenses, you get the same one I have and pay the same price. I think its $25. You can open carry in Pennsylvania, you can not open carry in Philadelphia without an LTC. In 90% of the Commonwealth nobody will place twice at you for open carrying, just know that in any urban areas you may get questioned. We just has a supreme court case here go in our favor, you can not be detained or questioned solely for open carrying, they need to see you breaking the law.

PA changes every time the party holding the AG office changes. When a Dim is in office, they remove as many reciprocal agreements as they can (why NH Non-Res is gone). When a Rep is in office, they add everyone back.

If you are going camping, then you can bring your gun with you, unloaded and locked up. PA has no requirements to own, you just can't carry. Go to a county sheriff office and apply for your carry permit. If you pick the right county, then it will take 10 minutes and you will walk out with a non-resident permit.

Sure, you can't argue against politics, in the case of non-res NH that was political. Some years ago Philadelphia tried to add a second page to the LTC application. It required references and that kind of BS, its since been struck down by the commonwealth courts. During that time many Philadelphians just said f*** it and picked up Utah and Florida, they were easier to get. Those were removed to make Philadelphians go through the LTC process. Anyway, now the second page is gone. The twat AG that made those changes is in prison and all of BS decisions remain in place, seems like BS.

Double check any county you might want to apply in. I found a few inaccuracies in the list at the link.

If you're taking I80 across PA Bellefonte/Center County has been very good for non-res permits. Go online and fill it out in advance, it took me less that 20 mins to renew and just over 20 for the original.

part of the problem with NH non-res is that it did not require you to have a permit from your state of residence, don't know if Utah or FL do. In Philly it seemed as though PA residents who would have difficulty getting a PA permit, latched onto the FL, NH and Utah non-res permits and carried in the city without a PA license.

Stopped by Reading Airport remote licensing office today, nobody in front of me and it literally took less than 5 minutes to get my license, I had the form filled out and my drivers licence and MA LTC with $20 ready, I was asked to sign it, and then it took about 2 minutes for the state police check and 2 minutes for the photo and laminated card. I told the gentlemen there that I couldn't believe how quick this was. I highly suggest if you want a PA non-resident you stop by there.

During that time many Philadelphians just said f*** it and picked up Utah and Florida, they were easier to get.
A precipitating incident was the bogus of a bunch of black guys with Florida LTCs. They eventually got something like $5K each in settlement, but Philly was so scared by this that they pressured the state to change the rules.

Stopped by Reading Airport remote licensing office today, nobody in front of me and it literally took less than 5 minutes to get my license, I had the form filled out and my drivers licence and MA LTC with $20 ready, I was asked to sign it, and then it took about 2 minutes for the state police check and 2 minutes for the photo and laminated card. I told the gentlemen there that I couldn't believe how quick this was. I highly suggest if you want a PA non-resident you stop by there.
Isn't it frik'n great! Last year I first went to Lancaster, but they had just changed policy and won't even do LTCs for people from another county. So, off to Reading airport. It was so quick and easy and cheap, I walked out staring at it to make sure it wasn't a fishing license.

About the only discretion that sheriff's have is whether or not to issue licenses to non county residents. Other than that, PA is shall issue and very fast. The only state that I've been in that remotely compares is AL, but that permit costs more.

Isn't it frik'n great! Last year I first went to Lancaster, but they had just changed policy and won't even do LTCs for people from another county. So, off to Reading airport. It was so quick and easy and cheap, I walked out staring at it to make sure it wasn't a fishing license.

My experience, exactly, this past November. Same place, and same <5 minutes. Absolutely amazing. I almost wanted to hug the guy, but thought better of it.

Frank

Mine took about 20 minutes in Scranton last year (Lackawanna County). I thought that was fast, but 5 min??? Wow.

Did mine at Jefferson County courthouse in Brookville on the way to visit my parents. Took exactly 15 minutes, and 11 of that was because I hadn't filled out the paperwork in advance. Also apparently Harrisburg was taking slightly longer than usual for the PICS check. The nice lady even apologized for that.

I suppose with recent current events things might be different, but a couple weeks ago I took a road trip and acquired my PA LTC at the Reading Airport sheriff's station.

The officer seemed less than enthusiastic (maybe doesn't like out of staters?) but was quick and professional enough. I look like a convict in the photo, though.

Painless and adds reciprocity for me in all of the states where I customarily travel.

Back
Top Bottom