P99 went full auto on me

I was rapid firing and it went full auto for four or five rounds. When I released the magazine the whole thing flew apart into five pieces. Took me five minutes to find everything.

It happened so quickly I didn't even realize it until it was over. Interesting experience[wink]

Last edited:
The magazine.. i assume the two situations are inter-related..but I'm not a gunsmith
I'm not a gunsmith either. But if the gun went full-auto, I would suspect a problem in the action parts of the gun (sear, disconnector, etc.). I don't think a magazine problem could cause a gun to go full-auto.

Welcome to the world of the crap people foist off as guns. My first 1911 doubled and tripled and went back three times before it was fixed. Roughly half the guns I purchase are defective and 1/3rd unusable.

Welcome to the world of the crap people foist off as guns. My first 1911 doubled and tripled and went back three times before it was fixed. Roughly half the guns I purchase are defective and 1/3rd unusable.

If that is the case... you have some bad luck. I've had some glitches but nothing like those odds.

I was rapid firing and it went full auto for four or five rounds. When I released the magazine the whole thing flew apart into five pieces. Took me five minutes to find everything.

It happened so quickly I didn't even realize it until it was over. Interesting experience[wink]

Better get it fixed before the ATF finds out.[smile]

I believe that S&W will be performing the warranty service on his Walther, so he won't be troubled with paying shipping or get any crap from customer service.

Dave,

If you were shooting at Shirley, I hope you missed the frame of the target stands. Um, also, how much do you want for your full auto?

Does your range/club have security cameras?

Video tape?

If so, you need to get a copy and post it so we can all share in your moment of terror. [smile]

I'll bet it was the .40 S&W model right?

An advanced search here for a post or two from me ~2 years ago will give more info, but the short of it is as follows:

- Walther marked mag bases for the .40 were found to be of inferior material. Walther later had this corrected, but there is NO WAY to determine good from bad by checking markings (verified by S&W Tech Supt).

- I had this happen on 3 of my mags. S&W shipped me new bases, most of those blew out too.

- Finally I caught on and learned that the S&W marked bases are ALL GOOD. I called S&W Tech Supt and had them ship me replacements that were all marked S&W. End of problem.

This has no relationship to the full-auto problem. A phone call to S&W will get you a pre-paid mailer to ship it back to them for repair.

Good luck.

P99/SW99 doubling or even tripling is not an uncommon occurrence because
the gun has a VERY short reset... (and those who ride the reset are most
likely to cause it to burst fire) but a 5 round burst... thats quite an
accomplishment! [laugh]

-Mike

I'm thinking

P99/SW99 doubling or even tripling is not an uncommon occurrence because
the gun has a VERY short reset... (and those who ride the reset are most
likely to cause it to burst fire) but a 5 round burst... thats quite an
accomplishment! [laugh]

-Mike

You may be right..it may have only been three rounds...I just wasn't expecting it so I didn't count
hope so..I don't want to have to go through any repairs

I fired one of Jay G's SW polymers one day and I had a couple double-fires as well; kind of freaky as the second rounds went into the ceiling.... We also figured it was the short reset.

Back
Top Bottom