• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Outers Tri Care feedback

Last edited:
I touch up the moving parts with Rem Oil during reassembly, LOL!

Except for using Len Grease on 1911 rails.

Amazon product ASIN B002T1ZW2EView: https://www.amazon.com/Mil-Comm-Premium-1-5-Ounce-Synthetic-Lubricant/dp/B002T1ZW2E

I scored it at Merrimack Firearms back in the day.
@Len-2A Training
yeah, separate cleaner/lube is good, lol...but the Tri Care is marketed as a cleaner/lube all in one, so i was wondering if the lube stood up to your expectations as opposed to the traditional type.

yeah, separate cleaner/lube is good, lol...but the Tri Care is marketed as a cleaner/lube all in one, so i was wondering if the lube stood up to your expectations as opposed to the traditional type.
I started with the belt-and-suspenders routine right off the bat.
The real operating operators will give you a deeper, more varied (and confusing) set of opinions.
(If we can get them to chime in).

Separate cleaner and lube. Hoppes's #9 or Elite. Oil to lube. Tried fancy oils and greases over the years. Some gummed up in extremely low temperatures. Others apparently burned and left a lot of carbon. Sticking with just regular, non-fancy gun oils since then.

All-in-ones are BS. Think about it. A solvent/cleaner is supposed to strip out everything. How can it possibly also be a lube/rust preventer?

My favorite dry lube/rust preventer is Hornady One-Shot. It says it's an all-in-one but it doesn't clean worth a damn. Eezox is a great cleaner but it doesn't prevent rust. Etc, Etc, Etc...

Oils that are lighter than water will float if the firearm gets damp or humidity is high, allowing water to be trapped against the steel. Oils suck at rust prevention. A good oil lubes ok but in a rimfire or gas-operated firearm mixes quickly with carbon forming sludge in the receiver and bolt. Dry lubes (like Hornady and Frog Lube) don't have that problem. Frog Lube has issues if you don't follow the directions.

I'm still experimenting with Wipe-Out as a cleaner; haven't yet decided if its better than a petroleum-based solvent. It's supposed to get in the pores to help prevent fouling but the jury's out on that, too.

Rem Oil isn't even a decent oil.

All-in-ones are BS. Think about it. A solvent/cleaner is supposed to strip out everything. How can it possibly also be a lube/rust preventer?

My favorite dry lube/rust preventer is Hornady One-Shot. It says it's an all-in-one but it doesn't clean worth a damn. Eezox is a great cleaner but it doesn't prevent rust. Etc, Etc, Etc...

Oils that are lighter than water will float if the firearm gets damp or humidity is high, allowing water to be trapped against the steel. Oils suck at rust prevention. A good oil lubes ok but in a rimfire or gas-operated firearm mixes quickly with carbon forming sludge in the receiver and bolt. Dry lubes (like Hornady and Frog Lube) don't have that problem. Frog Lube has issues if you don't follow the directions.

I'm still experimenting with Wipe-Out as a cleaner; haven't yet decided if its better than a petroleum-based solvent. It's supposed to get in the pores to help prevent fouling but the jury's out on that, too.

Rem Oil isn't even a decent oil.
Eezox was the one that I was actually specifically referring to as gumming up in the extreme cold. I tried it when it first came out. And Rem Oil isn't designed to lubricate. It's designed to displace water (like WD-40) and evaporate.

Back
Top Bottom