• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out-of Stater advice on getting a MA LTC

JimConway

Instructor
Has any that does not live in MA obtained a MA Non Resident LTC recently? If so can you provide any assistance for a shooting friend that lives in NH and shoots at a club in MA. While I have no problem taking his firearms to the range for him, he wants to be able to go whenever he feels like shooting. In particular, what he wants to know is what reasons have been acceptible to get the permit.
Thanks for the help.

When I lived in CT I had a MA non resident LTC A. The process was easier than when I lived in MA. I believe I put all lawful purposes for my reason.

Sent it off to the State police and received the permit in about 6 weeks

Actually, unless the process has changed drastically in the last six or seven months, the process is relatively simple and painless. The easiest thing to do is to contact the Firearms Records Bureau in Chelsea. Specific information can be found at www.mass.gov . Go to the website first.

ALP was usually the norm, although I have been told but cannot substiantiate, that this may have changed.

Regards,

Mark

mark056 said:
ALP was usually the norm, although I have been told but cannot substiantiate, that this may have changed.

So he'll be able to carry here and I, a MA citizen, can't... yeah these laws make sense... [roll]

(nothing against you Jim, just my general whining...)

Good luck to you.

Aa an outsider, and having read many posts by individuals about the process in Mass, I wonder this:

It seems that a resident must go through the local chief whereas a non-resident applies with the state police which may seem to be more conforming to letter of the law.

TonyD said:
Aa an outsider, and having read many posts by individuals about the process in Mass, I wonder this:

It seems that a resident must go through the local chief whereas a non-resident applies with the state police which may seem to be more conforming to letter of the law.
Bingo!

Yes Tony - although this state sucks, the MASP are more inclined to follow the letter of the law without putting their own .02 worth in. The part that really sucks is that you pay $100 for a license that takes about a month to get, and then it's got to be renewed in 11 months.

The way that Mass issues firearms licenses illustrates why states need to be "shall issue." There are 351 (give or take) municipalities in the Commonwealth, and in effect we have 351 different gun laws, because each chief can set his or her own criteria.

With regard to the MSP the Colonel of State Police has delegated the issuance of non-resident licenses to the Firearms Records Bureau, and except for the fingerprint check, the Firearms Records Bureau actually does the checks and issues the licenses.

In effect, a non-resident license is a "shall issue" license, and yes there are plenty of folks from out-of-state who hold the coveted "ALP", while taxpaying citizens of the state are prohibited, hindered by their local police department.

Regards,

Mark

Back
Top Bottom