Optics For Sig 556

fencer

NES Member
I have a new Sig 556 on order and hope to pick it up in a couple of weeks. I am looking for recommendations for optics. I was looking at Sigs Dioptic rear and a Sig red dot. Does anybody have any experience with these? I was really trying to keep the cost at or below $500. I wanted accuracy out to about 300 yards.

I have a new Sig 556 on order and hope to pick it up in a couple of weeks. I am looking for recommendations for optics. I was looking at Sigs Dioptic rear and a Sig red dot. Does anybody have any experience with these? I was really trying to keep the cost at or below $500. I wanted accuracy out to about 300 yards.

Well....do you want telescopic or tactical??

Well that was what I liked about the Sig. A couple of clicks and you get magnifiaction up to 4x so i kinda thought it was the best of both worlds?

Please correct me if I am wrong

Well, currently I have a Nikon Monarch scope. It is 3x to 14x telescopic, but the minimum magnification doesn't work well for close quarter. I've been eyeballing an ACOG, but there is no adjustable magnification, it's fixed. So the question is which application do you want more. Just an FYI...the reticle that comes with the Sig is complete crap, so don't count on that.

Yeah, I had heard that the sight that comes with it is junk. Which model 556 do you have? This is the description of the Sig Optic off there website so I thought it would be good for up close out to 300yrds?

ROTARY DIOPTER REAR SIGHT
Optimized for the SIG556® rifle, the SIG SAUER® Rotary Diopter Rear Sight provides four site stations (CQB, 100m, 200m, 300m) with tool-less windage and elevation adjustment. This sight attaches to the Receiver M1913 Rail and is designed to work in conjunction with the Hooded Front Sight.

FEATURES
• 4 sight stations (CQB, 100m, 200m, 300m) for accurate
engagement at varying distances
• Tool-less windage and elevation adjustment
• Optimized for M855 and M193 ammunition
• M1913 compatible mounting system
• Front & rear sight co-witness with Mini Red Dot Sight
• Durable steel construction

I have a Sig556...my vote goes for a set of troy folding sights, then your choice of a quality red-dot (aimpoint or eotech)...or a simple 1X4 scope. I will second the Millet DMS-1 mentioned above, as that is what I currently own. The best $250 scope I have seen. Not the best, but great value for the money

The Nikon Monarch was the best I could find for medium-range hunting (for the price). However, it isn't good for close quarters. Unfortunately, I have found no optic good for both close quarters and medium range. Add in the desire for low lighting, and the choices are really limited. This is a long time question of mine, so if someone has a solution for close quarters to medium range with very low lighting.....I'm all ears!

Optic Selection for Sig 556

It is hard to beat the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25x-4x scope for an all-around rifle optic. It is built like a tank, features an illuminated reticle that uses a common battery, is waterproof, has an excellent all-weather lens coating, a fantastic warranty, and is a good value for the money. It really is a solid variable optic. Is it as tough as an ACOG or Aimpoint? Probably not, but it also costs significantly less and offers more flexibility than either. I also don't plan on heaving my rifle over a mountain anytime soon. It will easily withstand field use.

If you can't afford a LaRue quick-release SPR mount for it, check out the Burris PEPR...it works just as well but is screwed onto the rail. The 1.25x mag is fine in close quarters, and the 4x definitely helps with precision. Unless you plan on kicking doors in for a living, or rucking through Afghanistan for extended periods of time, a variable optic is the best way to take advantage of the 5.56's capabilities.

BTW - the rotary diopter iron sight from Sig is a superior sighting system. It is solidly built, easy to use, and very precise. Definitely worth the money. I wish my AR came with one.

I have a Konus Pro Atomic red dot on my SIG 522 - cheaper than the SIG red dot and with a lifetime warranty. It's a Aimpoint Micro T-1 clone. Of course, it's only a 22LR so not a fighting rifle, so a cheaper, less-reliable optic isn't so bad.

So my optics just came in for my 556. Although overall my rifle will be set up a bit different than yours I can say the Millett LRS-1 looks pretty promising when I was checking it out after it arrived yesterday. The large size helps a huge amount with brightness. Even at full magnification (25x) it looks nearly the same as with the naked eye when its just moonlight out. The illuminated reticle is also very cool for if you are looking at something in the shadows where the normal markings would just disappear. So the clarity so far looks great, overall construction looks to be fairly good as well. Now just to see how well it hold zero once it is mounted.

Fencer:

1. GET the diopter iron sights. The standard iron sights on the 556 are utterly useless.
2. For optics, a Bushnell Holosight sells for $200ish and has worked very well for me.

I am very happy with the eotech I have on my 556, I did try a regular rifle scope but for some reason it ran out of elevation before I could dial it in at 100 yds ????

I am considering this for my new Sig 556 . Besides being expensive are there any downside to the ACOGS ?
http://www.militarywarfighter.com/Trijicon_TA31RCO_M4CP_p/trijicon-ta31rco-m4cp.htm

If I could afford it I'd certainly own an ACOG. They're basically the industry standard in filling the niche for best suitability close-medium range. They also have a bullet drop compensator built into them, calibrated for .223/5.56, for pretty good accuracy out to 500-600 yards IIRC. Go for it if you have the dough, no downsides IMO

If I could afford it I'd certainly own an ACOG. They're basically the industry standard in filling the niche for best suitability close-medium range. They also have a bullet drop compensator built into them, calibrated for .223/5.56, for pretty good accuracy out to 500-600 yards IIRC. Go for it if you have the dough, no downsides IMO

I've used my buddy's a few times, I agree no downside except price.

Fot the price of an ACOG you could consider an Aimpoint , a Larue Flip to Side mount , and an Aimpoint magnifier , - that's the way i am going.

I see it as 3 systems on one rifle : the iron sights remain usable. for traditional marksmanship out to wherever your max ability is , the red dot @ 1x allows very fast target pick up with both eyes open at closer ranges or a 4 moa dot for longer shots ... the flip to side mount allows for 4x mag with just a grab & flip action. .

I have the Aimpoint , love it ( 1x ) , have the LaRue mount , saving for the magnifier.

But - still looking at close to a thousand bucks of optics for a 900 dollar rifle. -

I'm willing to drop $1k for good all around optics, but here is what I am trying to find

- Good red dot/triangle/etc.
- 1.5x min to maybe 8x max telescopic
- VERY good low to very low light conditions
- Durable

I'm willing to drop $1k for good all around optics, but here is what I am trying to find

- Good red dot/triangle/etc.
- 1.5x min to maybe 8x max telescopic
- VERY good low to very low light conditions
- Durable

I have an Accupoint on my AR. Very nice sight. 1-4X24 At 1x is CQB and at 4x gets out where you need to be. Not as fast up close as an Aimpoint but pretty good.
full3..jpg
scope2..jpg

If I had the coin I would go for this:
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-1-6x24-Z6i-30mm-Riflescope-P7602.aspx

Attachments

• FA15..jpg
    FA15..jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom