Opinions on Hi-Point pistols?

I tried searching to see if this had come up before, but the forum software just pulled up every thread where someone had said "point". Which didn't really help [grin]

I've noticed on sites like gunbroker.com that new Hi-Point pistols are quite cheap... what's the general consensus on them? I realize they use composite frames, but that's about it...

Well I'm sure they're cheap for a reason, but I guess what I'm asking is -- are they too cheap to be usable? I mean will I get an FTF with every 3rd round, or every 300th?

I guess it all depends how cheap. I've never had one, but know people who have. Numerous failures to feed and eject. Would I buy it for $75? Sure. Anything more than that, probably not.

Are you asking because you find them intriguing or because you are
looking for a cheap pistol? If the former, give it a shot, if the latter,
there are often quality pistols available used for not much more.

F

firtree: A bit of both... apart from this board, I'm not too sure where to look online (well, there's gunbroker) for quality used pistols. The problem with this board is there are a lot of MA guys, which means MA-legal guns, which means higher prices for non-MA folk.

The word is that they work and have functional accuracy. Heavy, lousy trigger, sights, balance. They also have excellent customer service and will fix it if it breaks which it supposedly will.

Durability is an unknown for hi-points as the typical high point owner doesn't reach a high round count.

Last edited:
Some people actually like the High point compact 9.
Clunky, heavy feel, heavy trigger, but it works and is cheap as
heck.

However, the latest CDNN catalog has the following quality pistols at cheap prices (just a sample of some of the best deals):

EAA Fullsize 16rd. 9mm new :$250

Ruger P95DC 9mm Trade-In: $240

Beretta 1951 9mm Used : $160

Smith and Wesson 4043 .40 Trade-In: $250

Star BM 8rd. 9mm Used: $160

Lots of great pistols under $250 that I could bet my life on.

F

There's lots of good quality cheap used guns from major manufacturers. Ruger and Smith & Wesson autos and revolvers are cheap and plentiful.

I wouldn't waste $75 on a highpoint. Save your money and buy a gun you can count on.

I'm sure there are plenty of gun stores in ME that sell used guns at reasonable prices.

heck.

However, the latest CDNN catalog has the following quality pistols at cheap prices (just a sample of some of the best deals):

F
As it happens, I did look through CDNNs catalog yesterday. I was quite surprised by how cheap the Berettas were! I don't know how many of them they have, though; and I doubt they do lay-aways. The wife won't let me buy one this month, unfortunately... [laugh]

ok

I had a High point 9mm. I found they were pretty good. never had any problems. jammed on some kinds of ammo. If you like a reliable external safty don't buy it. Other then that it was fine.

I owned a Hi-Point for about a month. It was a gift from my mother... she doesn't know a thing about guns. I told her not to buy iy but she did anyways. I had a .380 unknown what model. To fire 2 rds, I had to Tap-Rack-Bang 3 times with quality ammo. I put about 1000rds through it as a T&E thing. The gun I had was very finnicky, not ammo wise it just did not want to run. If I remember correctly it had a safety that seemed to be off of a BB gun, not very practical. I traded it for something, Im not really sure what. I would not recomend a Hi-Point to anyone. If I wanted a cheap gun I would find myself a used Glock 19 and some spare mags...

Gallien

Last edited:
firtree: A bit of both... apart from this board, I'm not too sure where to look online (well, there's gunbroker) for quality used pistols. The problem with this board is there are a lot of MA guys, which means MA-legal guns, which means higher prices for non-MA folk.

Mod Hat On! [wink]

The best way to "correct" this is for YOU to invite your other shooting friends to join us here!!

The forum was started by a few of us in MA and NH, but it is named "NortheastShooters" for a reason . . . all states are welcome here, but most especially ALL those in the Northeast corner of the US!

The more the merrier.

The Management!

Mod Hat On! [wink]

The best way to "correct" this is for YOU to invite your other shooting friends to join us here!!

The forum was started by a few of us in MA and NH, but it is named "NortheastShooters" for a reason . . . all states are welcome here, but most especially ALL those in the Northeast corner of the US!

The more the merrier.

The Management!
I don't have any friends! That's the problem, that's why I'm here [sad2] [crying] [sad] [wink]

I owned a Hi-Point for about a month. It was a gift from my mother... she doesn't know a thing about guns. I told her not to buy iy but she did anyways. I had a .380 unknown what model. To fire 2 rds, I had to Tap-Rack-Bang 3 times with quality ammo. I put about 1000rds through it as a T&E thing. The gun I had was very finnicky, not ammo wise it just did not want to run. If I remember correctly it had a safety that seemed to be off of a BB gun, not very practical. I traded it for something, Im not really sure what. I would not recomend a Hi-Point to anyone. If I wanted a cheap gun I would find myself a used Glock 19 and some spare mags...

Gallien
Unfortunately, I haven't seen a Glock 19 for anything less than $450 or so... which kind of sucks. The reputation for Hi-Points being finicky about ammo seems to be pretty common though, you never really did anything to rectify it?

I did not find the Hi-Point to have a feeding problem... more of a failure to fire. I was never interested in it and I own 1911's, Glocks, HK's, and numerouse other guns. I had no use for it at all. I would save my money and wait to find a really good deal on something else. My first pistol was a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911... $450 brand new off Gunbroker. I still carry it to this day, though it has been enhanced. You can find them used for a good price. Mine has probably 4-5k rds through it without changing any parts because of breakage or waring out.

Hope this helps...

Gallien

I thought these guns couldnt be sold in MA anyway? Except for Private sales? Sorry to did up a old thread but never heard of HiPoint until recently as I saw one cheap..Heard they werent too reliable either so saving up for a M&P or Sigma.

heck.

F
And that's the bottom line right there. If you just want a plinker, sure, give it a Hi Point a whirl.

But if this is a pistol on which something important (like your life or the lives of your loved ones) is going to depend on, PASS.

I thought these guns couldnt be sold in MA anyway? Except for Private sales? Sorry to did up a old thread but never heard of HiPoint until recently as I saw one cheap..Heard they werent too reliable either so saving up for a M&P or Sigma.

The original poster isn't even in MA.

If you're short on cash, you're best off finding a used .38
wheelgun before you start playing around with junk autos like a
hi-point. Even the much maligned S+W Smegma mentioned
above is 1000 times the handgun that a Hi-Point is. At least
it probably will fire and cycle reliably every time. [laugh] You can
even find used Sigmas periodically for well under $400. I saw
a used SW9VE at FS for like $279 once, if you -really- want a
sigma though and you see one at that price anywhere, you must
grab it, because if you hem and haw over it someone will buy
it out from under your nose... those guns don't last very long
when they come in used, because someone is always looking for
a gun in that price class.

-Mike

Four Seasons has new Sigma's right now for $249 cash price NEW! Cant beat that. Well $299 cash with a $50 Mail In Rebate and 2 free Mags from S+W.

yeah I looked at a G17 Saturday at Collectors. They wanted $400 cash for the gun..so not sure what im gonna go with yet..the S+W is more in my price range for right now.

There are many pistols out there for $400 or less. A G17 is not bad
place to start for a full size. I carried a 6906 for years and they can
be found for under $350. Personally, I would pass on the sigma for now.
The "old" S&W autos (6906, 4043, ...) can be had for very cheap considering
how much it cost to make them and their quality since they are not considered cool
right now. Have you been watching the Classifieds section daily? You
may want to post a WTB ad and see what comes in.

F

Last edited:
Depending on what he wants it for, the Sigma may be a great choice. I got mine for $225 and didn't look like like it was even fired. The recently manufactured ones are 100% reliable. Their only downfall is the trigger, but if it is a your first gun, that can be a plus. Both for learning trigger control and safety.

Because of the price point, I plan to get another one to keep in the quick access safe 24/7. So, that means I'd stake my life on one.

Bottom line is get the best you can afford. You won't regret buying quality. And if you cannot afford much, buy on reliability. If more the later, I'd look good and hard at a used revolver.

Doesn't summit gun brokers have inexpensive reliable handguns?

Also number9, keep checking Gun Broker alot, and take a trip down to Kittery Trading Post and handle EVERYTHING! They're a little steep on prices, but theres a shitload of firearms available to look at. Sort of a one stop shop. Can't speak for smaller shops in your area as i'm up near Bangor (know some really good ones up here!!!)

Also, BEWARE!!! you live in a gun unfriendly city. Get all your ducks in a row (LTC) before venturing out into the city as the police can/will hassle you if they see your concealed handgun (please correct me if i'm wrong since Portland's old Chief of Police has left).

If you want a cheap handgun, buy a Sigma. Trigger sucks but it is accurate enough for a cobmat handgun and is reliable. If you look around, you'll probably find one for $200 used, and definitely less than 300 new.

Back
Top Bottom