Opinions on Beretta 92FS 9MM

I should have bought one when I started this thread. I saw they had a compact, so I was looking for one of those. When I actually looked at them, and seeing that they weren't really that much smaller I ended up going for the cheaper full size. I'm glad I did.
The compact is shorter in the grip too which sucks for trying to use the preban magazines. I haven't looked too hard but I'm not sure if they have base plate adapters.

does it hit what you're aiming at?

do YOU feel comfortable carrying it?

does it fit in with your own philosophy of use?

does it work for YOU?

If yes, buy, shoot, carry, live life, profit.

My 92fs shoots wonderfully and accurately. The only negative is it is pretty large for a 9mm especially compared to newer stuff out today.

I own 1 and it is a great gun to shoot. I tried carrying it but it felt to heavy for me. I actually had 2 of them, I sold the blued one when I located a used INOX version.

I own several guns and have handled a lot of other people guns and the 92 is the most solid feeling gun to rack I have ever handled. It is like a precision machine.

Not the greatest trigger but that can be fixed. I have a lot of rounds through mine and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. No feed issues ever.

Downside is it is big and heavy.

Mark, You know what? You're right I threw out an opinion that it doesnt even make the top 10 with a number of references to back it up that pointed out well known issues with the gun and that folks should go and try it side by side with other stuff before you buy it. You countered with the same old "I'm a professional" response you frequently feel a need to preach in posts and the unsolicited email you send lots of folks stating that its basically the best thing since sliced bread because .mil chose it and you're a proffessional... I'm not pushing people to do anything except get out there and try a bunch of guns side by side so THEY can judge whats best for them .mil chose the gun for its own reasons including political ones.....but you're a professional so you know these things You ignore the fact that how the 100 million gun owners in the US use and carry firearms might just be fundamentally different from how US Mil uses it. I know a LOT of people who have bought the beretta, shot it for a while and either sold it or it now sits in the safe because there are piles of other guns with better triggers, that are easier to conceal/draw from concealment and are just easier to shoot. I didnt offer specific examples because there are lots of good options out there for folks of all shapes and sizes This has nothing to do with me and everything to do with encouraging folks to go out and get some rounds under their belt with a couple of guns side by side not to mention in a holster if they are going to carry it because there isnt one gun out there that fits everyone and just because .mil or .gov chose it doesnt mean its a good personal choice for others.

You know what you are absolutely right again and. of course your lack of critical reading skills with regard to my posts only illustrate how you completely missed the boat. I totally agree that there are better choices out there and there were political considerations when the M9 was adopted over the P226, common knowledge and I think I have patiently explained the role of the military sidearm. About these emails you speak of I don't know exactly what you are referencing and I do speak from real world experience and frankly your perjorative use of the term "trained professional" gets a bit old, but if you get off on it so be it. I think I've told you what 9mms I like and both models are older than Methusahla.

You have decided to turn this into some kind of a flame war. You ignore the fact that people enjoy shooting these guns. You ignore the fact that for its intended purpose as a belt carried mitary side arm it is adequate for the job. If limited to ball ammo I would like something more than 9mm but like you say that's a whole different subject.

You don't like the Beretta. I don't own one. People who do have sung it's praises but you single me out. You have no experience with the pistol on its intended role save for what you have read. Please continue your diatribe and invective against me and not the people who actually own, shoot and enjoy their pistols. Obvisioisly your mind is made up and they certainly can't confuse you with the facts because your mind is made up.

You obviously have some kind of hard on for means I will yield to your anecdotal experience with the weapon in a civilian context whatever it might be, and your information gleaned from the Internet and respectfully request that if you wish further discourse with me on the subject you contact me personally via PM and I can arrange to me you in person for e tended civil discourse on the subject. I will be very surprised if you take me upon that offer, but I will respectfully listen to you and your position devoid of the two dimensional reality of the printed page.

At this point, the ball is in your court, sir.

Respectfully,

Mark Louttit

I think IM going to target my replacement .40 on the 96.

I wouldn't. A beretta 96 is another one of those guns that "sucks more in .40" The fact that the thing only holds 11 rounds is evidence of this, it was obviously a hackneyed design. Look elsewhere. If you really need a school bus get a USP .40... at least that gun was designed around .40 S+W when it was created, that was it's first caliber it was offered in. Or even a P229. Either of these are scads better than the 96 is.

-Mike

oddly enough, those 2 are on my list.

I wouldn't. A beretta 96 is another one of those guns that "sucks more in .40" The fact that the thing only holds 11 rounds is evidence of this, it was obviously a hackneyed design. Look elsewhere. If you really need a school bus get a USP .40... at least that gun was designed around .40 S+W when it was created, that was it's first caliber it was offered in. Or even a P229. Either of these are scads better than the 96 is.

-Mike

I want to get one but another family member has one and since it's not a carry piece for me. I think it's an awesome gun especially the ease of dropping a single round into the barrel and firing with out the magazine. I am used to double action only or SA/DA all metal guns

I bought mine primarily for a range and house gun. I felt my 5 shot .38 just wasn't enough fire power but good enough to stuff in my pocket. Now I'm thinking of a .380 for more accurate placement on my CCW.

was my first firearm the regular 92FS model and i love it. im not an expert but i will list the few things i dislike and than those i do like. so the grips are a little large for me and reaching the mag release with one hand is still tough even with the extended release button. the safety/decocker is quite large to me and a bit cumbersome in nature. the trigger guard area also seems huge. so essentially all things that only concern you if your CCW. now the things i do like are pretty much the rest, oh the sights are blah but moving on the accuracy and recoil are amazing. i have shot some really nice glocks and sigs and i cant group nearly as well in rapid succession. the recoil is so feather light and the trigger is very crisp to me. (with the D spring throwing rounds down range is so easy and flawless)

PS: if a ninja is breaking down your 92...you have much bigger issues... i would pony up for the A1 version or even more so for the vertec.

Back
Top Bottom