• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions on Beretta 92FS 9MM

Anyone have one? Seeing the picture on the 4S website has gained my interest. The thing is you never hear of anyone buying them and you never hear of them like you do the M&P9 or the Ruger SR9's. They look like quality pistols. Are the frames polymer, aluminum, or steel? It looks like it has the same safety's as my SR.22. The slide is all open ,which may add to them jamming less? Anyways, How is Beretta customer service,accuracy,size, ect. Please post up some real time pics if you have any. looks like a good home defense gun as well as a good range gun.

The 92FS (or M9) is standard issue for the US military, that should tell you something about the quality. I personally love them, the shoot nice, they have an unmistakable look to them, they are right up their with the 1911 and Glock as some of the most recognizable handguns in the world IMO.

I have a 92FS - and I really like it. One of it's pluses is that pre-ban high cap mags are relatively easily available for it. Plus I just like shooting it.

First handgun I ever shot.

There's no denying it's a quality sexy looking firearm, but it's big for a 9mm and has a slide safety. Up to you to decide if those are what you want.

Sexy. Beretta cust service has been really good for us. Weight helps make it basically recoiless.

Oh yeah...sexy.

photo-2189.jpg

Last edited:
I have one and I really like it. Although I always wanted one for a few of the reasons stated already. Resident Evil gun and US Military gun. It also has pre ban mags that are fairly easy to get and it's a nice full size 9mm for the range. I felt like it was a no brainer.

Meh.

They are stupidly large. But the worst sin is the slide-mounted safety/decocker. It is far too easy to accidentally apply the safety while cycling the slide. If this happened during an emergency reload in a social situation, you would be screwed.

There are far better 9mm guns to be had.

Meh.

They are stupidly large. But the worst sin is the slide-mounted safety/decocker. It is far too easy to accidentally apply the safety while cycling the slide. If this happened during an emergency reload in a social situation, you would be screwed.

There are far better 9mm guns to be had.

yup. That said, I own an M9 and will keep it forever, probably.

The 92 is a full size, all steel pistol. It is very accurate, reliable and well built. I think one of the reasons that you hear more about the M&P and Ruger that you mentioned is that the 92 would be considered by most to be very big for a concealed carry gun.

I personally am of the opinion that just about any pistol can be carried concealed with the right belt and holster, and I carry a full size 1911, as do many others, all the time. Just bear in mind that it will take more effort on your part to comfortably carry it concealed. The plus side is that because it is so big and heavy, recoil is very mild.

Concealed carry is all about compromise. Big guns are easier to shoot, but harder to conceal. Small guns are easy to conceal but it usually comes at the cost of recoil and accuracy. That is why the Glock 19 is so popular. It is a really good all around carry gun.

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase. Shoot safe and shoot often

This was my first gun and I purchased it at Four Seasons. It is my most reliable and accurate gun and love shooting it. You can not go wrong with a 92FS purchase. Field stripping is pretty easy too... Its a nice gun to start or add to any collection. It is full sized and I do not conceal carry it...

I have owned a 92FS for ten yearts now and carry it often. I use it as my 'winter' gun since it conceals well with the Galco VHS shoulder holster I have.
I the summer, I tend to go with a smaller more concealable handgun, to blend with summer attire.

Marlin

Crap. Buy a real gun. The military does not buy guns based on accuracy or even reliability, just price point. Had one. Had a 96 too. Hated them both. And I hate Glocks too, but I'd rather have a Glock than a 92/96, as would every PD in the universe. I love my SR40C.

Oh, and an ex-Iraq vet showed me how to disable a 92 by walking into the firearm at high speed and popping the disconnect. Not a good gun. He is now a cop and would not touch one with a 10-foot pole.

Last edited:
For a range gun, I love them. They certainly have their quirks for carry (Size, weight, and that f***ing safety) but I really enjoy shooting them. As someone mentioned, preban hicaps are more available for them than a lot of other handguns, which is great. I don't own one yet, but have a friend that does, and I ask him to shoot it every time he brings it out. If I didn't love CZ's as much as I do, I would probably have bought a 92 by now.

If you care, Beretta altered the frame design to differ from the M9 since I think 2000. It now has a taper in front the trigger guard, instead of the sexy straight lines. Also, the palm relief is a new addition as well. The palm relief is something I welcome; the taper I do not. It's a damn shame they didn't just add the palm relief :(

Watch any number of awesome John Woo flicks with Chow Yun-Fat to appreciate their beauty.

Crap. Buy a real gun. The military does not buy guns based on accuracy or even reliability, just price point. Had one. Had a 96 too. Hated them both. And I hate Glocks too, but I'd rather have a Glock than a 92/96, as would every PD in the universe. I love my SR40C.

Oh, and an ex-Iraq vet showed me how to disable a 92 by walking into the firearm at high speed and popping the disconnect. Not a good gun. He is now a cop and would not touch one with a 10-foot pole.

Bwahahahaha!!!! Yeah. the USMC's new 1911's are wicked cheap.[wink] And did you just say " walking into the firearm at high speed"???? [rofl] Dude... I am dying laughing over here!! And firearm advice from a cop??? Damn... my sides are hurting I am cracking up so bad

It is one of only two pistols that passed the service firearm tests back in the 80's. It is what it is, a service size 9mm. It would be an excellent tool for the tool box.

I have a 92 compact. I like it, solves the size problem... sort of, still big. However the compact is not MA compliant so tough to find.

If you buy one I suggest you buy a CX4 Storm to go with it. The magazines are compatible & the Storm is a very fun carbine to shoot.

I love mine. I bought it in 1998 and will go to my grave with it.

Super easy to break down, accurate, and 15+1 is very nice.

A real good full size gun for a modest sum ($500 and on). Very, very dependable.

Also, the weight is helpful for rapid fire accuracy.

This is actually the case with most semi pistols. They are designed to not fire when pressed against something. My SW99 and my 92fs are both that way and so are glocks. Push your hand against the barrel and they move back about 1/4 in and disable the trigger. So don't let that be a deciding factor.

The 92 fs is a little big but hell if your going to buy a full size pistol then buy a full size pistol. Also you can put the compact slide on the full size frame and have a more concealable gun with no reduced mag cap. or shorter grip. Nice if you want one gun for carry and range purposes.

The 9MM 92FS is rock solid,change the recoil spring once a year and clean under the extractor every 1500 rounds or so and this gun will last you for many,many years. The recomendations on changing the recoil spring and cleaning under the extractor came to me from Len Lucas, Berettas head armorer. Add a D mainspring and you will lower the overall double action trigger pull by roughly 2LBS. The 40 caliber Berettas are not the same gun as the 9MM. The 9MM are more relaible and less prone to breakage. This has been my experience from previously maintaining 50 96G's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom