• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry in MA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not this again..

Yup this again. Every few weeks someone comes on with the "unique" idea that hey.......We are getting ****ed guys you can open carry in mass........The cops are wrong man....It's actually legal! [rofl]

I am a Mass resident with an unrestricted LTC. Even though it is seemingly not illegal to open carry there are two main reasons I do not.

1. I am a wimp. I do not want to take the chance or go through the hassle and potential expense of possibly having my LTC suspended or revoked. Along those lines I believe every LEO out there will stop me and ask for my LTC and perhaps in some instances have their weapons drawn and pointed at me.

2. I lose the element of surprise.

I am a Mass resident with an unrestricted LTC. Even though it is seemingly not illegal to open carry there are two main reasons I do not.

1. I am a wimp. I do not want to take the chance or go through the hassle and potential expense of possibly having my LTC suspended or revoked. Along those lines I believe every LEO out there will stop me and ask for my LTC and perhaps in some instances have their weapons drawn and pointed at me.

2. I lose the element of surprise.
1 that is a choice you make. I've open carried by accident, no one freaked out, no cops were called. It was out in central mass.

wrong..

wrong..

and guess what ? mostly wrong again.

I hear lots of wannabe lawyers quoting Massachusetts law. But no one will the ba*** to back up what they say. If you so convinced that some people are wrong, they strap on a pistol and walk around with it. The truth is backing up what you believe or say is a lot harder than telling someone that they are wrong. Please don't forget to send us that video of you walking around Boston.

I hear lots of wannabe lawyers quoting Massachusetts law. But no one will the ba*** to back up what they say. If you so convinced that some people are wrong, they strap on a pistol and walk around with it. The truth is backing up what you believe or say is a lot harder than telling someone that they are wrong. Please don't forget to send us that video of you walking around Boston.
A lot of it is attitude and presentation, if you look like you belong, you aren't being all skittish about having a firearm on your hip, and you don't look like the average joe slob, you'd be surprised how many people won't question it.

original.jpg

I would not open carry even if it did not cause any issues with the sheeple or police in MA. Why would you want to advertise that you're carrying a firearm and lose the advantage of concealment?

1 that is a choice you make. I've open carried by accident, no one freaked out, no cops were called. It was out in central mass.

Yes. I made that choice and for the reasons I listed. There are more cops who would harass you over it than those that would not. I have zero interest in potentially attracting that type of an encounter with law enforcement. I do not unnecessarily draw attention to myself and they do not notice me. It's kind of a thing we have.....lol

I encounter cops a lot getting coffee, going to the bank or the grocery store or whatever in my daily travels as much as anyone else. I'm carrying concealed. Never had an issue. So it works for me.

But the element of surprise is a big factor too.....I believe it makes you a target to have your gun stolen...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/daniel-zimmerman/389470/

That was this guy named Joe, IIRC he has an acct here but hasn't posted in forever. He eventually got his LTC back after a year or two of bullshit, but I think they restricted it. I want to say it was Dedham as the issuing authority, and it happened in Quincy, or vice versa. He was carrying pizzas or something and his jacket blew open and revealed his holstered gun, then the LEO pinged him and then ratted on him a few minutes later to his issuing authority.

FWIW that incident happened pre-Simkin so depending on circumstances it might not end up the same way.

The other pre-simkin incident that comes to mind is the Springfield lawyer wearing a suit and sort of OCing a 1911. (he had a shoulder holster or something, wind blew open his jacket and someone spotted him- An overzealous springfield cop jammed him in a cop car and stole his gun and LTC, but did not arrest him. Eventually he took them to court and got his gun and LTC back but I'm not sure what the venue of that was or how he pulled it off. Nobody here
knows the guy. (but the story ended up in the telegram or something at the time).

-Mike

Mike,

It was Joe Landers, in Dedham. He lived there, was carrying pizzas from the store across from the PD (both are in Dedham Square) when his jacket blew open and officer queried him about the gun. Officer wrote a report of the encounter (no arrest, all legal) and the Dedham chief (Joe lived in the same town) pulled his LTC. It took many years (Atty Langer assisted and sued the town, court ruled for the town) and a new chief before Joe got his LTC back (restricted). Joe came on here and posted about the experience and then disappeared.

Here are two links to the story from our archives (Google is your friend):

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-299.html
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-10681.html

So open carry at your peril if you wish. Times were that nobody would blink, but in today's society inside Rte. 128, I'd bet on revocation of LTC for this is the norm.

Word to the wise... Don't make your firearms decisions based on Wikipedia.

Whether I choose to OPEN carry or CONCEAL is MY choice, and again I quote you "And I don't care what the law says, open carry and you can kiss your LTC good-bye." is fear mongering, while SOME Chiefs MAY pull someones LTC, it is NOT UNIFORM (not all mass. chiefs are do**hes) = NOT ILLEGAL TO OPEN CARRY AND MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO IT. even in that tough city named Boston (FACTS and is not security or LE ).

Wait... what ? Did I just read above someone typed that they open carried and nothing happened ? ( scrolling up) he or she must be a liar then... right ?

Last edited:
Whether I choose to OPEN carry or CONCEAL is MY choice, and again I quote you "And I don't care what the law says, open carry and you can kiss your LTC good-bye." is fear mongering, while SOME Chiefs MAY pull someones LTC, it is NOT UNIFORM (not all mass. chiefs are do**hes) = NOT ILLEGAL TO OPEN CARRY AND MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO IT. even in that tough city named Boston (FACTS and is not security or LE ).

Wait... what ? Did I just read above someone typed that they open carried and nothing happened ? ( scrolling up) he or she must be a liar then... right ?

it's nothing to get upset about. It has been established that it is not illegal to open carry in Mass. So if you choose to open carry then have at it. But as someone pointed out earlier a judge ruled that if you do open carry and a cop asks to see your LTC you must provide it. Then there was a cite where a Dedham guy got jammed up and was without a license for I think a few years while it went through the courts.

So is it legal to open carry? Yes. Can you get jammed up if you open carry? Yes. Will you get jammed up if you open carry? it's anyone's guess.

But all anyone needs to do to find out how it will go down is open carry.

it's nothing to get upset about. It has been established that it is not illegal to open carry in Mass. So if you choose to open carry then have at it. (1)But as someone pointed out earlier a judge ruled that if you do open carry and a cop asks to see your LTC you must provide it. (2)Then there was a cite where a Dedham guy got jammed up and was without a license for I think a few years while it went through the courts.

(3)So is it legal to open carry? Yes. Can you get jammed up if you open carry? Yes. Will you get jammed up if you open carry? it's anyone's guess. *

But all anyone needs to do to find out how it will go down is open carry .

Number 1 = That is MGL. so not disputed
Number 2 = That is fact, not disputed
Number 3 = All true

But Sparky claims = "open carry and you can kiss your LTC goodbye" , as if that's 100% true across over 340 chiefs. ( mass has 351 cities and towns, I know )

Number 1 = That is MGL. so not disputed
Number 2 = That is fact, not disputed
Number 3 = All true

But Sparky claims = "open carry and you can kiss your LTC goodbye" , as if that's 100% true across over 340 chiefs. ( mass has 351 cities and towns, I know )

I would agree with you. I do not think that would be across the board either. But you have to admit....in a lot of places it's back to my number 3. As Len-2A pointed out...inside 128 it is a more likely scenario than not for someone to get jammed up.

Circa 1986 when I was a teen I so vividly remember walking through all the condo's and streets where I lived with my BB gun strapped to my back, going to shoot at (never hit one) squirrels off in the woods.

That's all I got for this thread.

it's nothing to get upset about. It has been established that it is not illegal to open carry in Mass. So if you choose to open carry then have at it. But as someone pointed out earlier a judge ruled that if you do open carry and a cop asks to see your LTC you must provide it. Then there was a cite where a Dedham guy got jammed up and was without a license for I think a few years while it went through the courts.

So is it legal to open carry? Yes. Can you get jammed up if you open carry? Yes. Will you get jammed up if you open carry? it's anyone's guess.

But all anyone needs to do to find out how it will go down is open carry.

FWIW that would be unlikely to happen in Dedham today because the current chief is a decent person.

FWIW that would be unlikely to happen in Dedham today because the current chief is a decent person.

I know six people who got their LTC's in Dedham and three recently and based on what they told me I believe your statement to be true.

But the element of surprise is a big factor too.....I believe it makes you a target to have your gun stolen...
If you open carry, you invite anyone you have a minor conflict with to cause you a world of grief. All they have to do is say "he threatened me with the gun" and you're talking loss of LTC, legal fees, a coerced plea bargain and probably PP status. Even if you don't draw, someone can feel threatened and make such a claim.

it's nothing to get upset about. It has been established that it is not illegal to open carry in Mass.
It is also not illegal to exercise you right ot remain silent when questioned as a suspect in a criminal case, however, that did not prevent the state appellate court from upholding doing so as a valid reason to revoke an LTC.

If you open carry, you invite anyone you have a minor conflict with to cause you a world of grief. All they have to do is say "he threatened me with the gun" and you're talking loss of LTC, legal fees, a coerced plea bargain and probably PP status. Even if you don't draw, someone can feel threatened and make such a claim.

This is the primary reason I carry concealed. That, and, if I was a bad guy entering a place or situation intent on creating mayhem, if I saw someone with a gun I'd shoot him first. Keeping it concealed is a tactical advantage which might save my life.

It is also not illegal to exercise you right ot remain silent when questioned as a suspect in a criminal case, however, that did not prevent the state appellate court from upholding doing so as a valid reason to revoke an LTC.

Yup, there is no 2nd, 4th, 5th, or 14th amendment in this state.

What's the concensus on printing?

My take on it is that you're not responsible for someone else's reaction to something which you are legally permitted to do.

Most people, if they saw a bulge on someone's hip, would assume it's a technical or medical device, before "Gun!" This is the PRM, after all.

I print and don't care. Never been bothered.

I agree with Zeo, tons of fear mongering. However, I have not open carried - don't want to advertise I am armed.

Weird that i separate the 2. I guess I am assuming the people who are afraid of open carry don't recognize what is under there when i print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom