On a scale of 1-10 ...

Effin' hell, you need to refer this guy to a 12 step program to get him off the pills he's been poppin'. Pathetic job-please out him to save the rest of us, but only if he doesn't buy you a new stock.

Who pays for the new stock?
If he can find a replacement stock for $$350 to $500 he might be better off just taking his initial $300 back and taking the hit for the difference. We can get caught up in what's right and just but how much time is it worth to the OP? And who's to say he ever actually gets his justice? If the stock is worth substantially more then it might be a different story.

Jeepers. Sorry you got fubar-ed. Document it, get replacement estimates ask/sue him to cover cost to return to original condition.

Not going to give it a 1-10 rating. This one is binary. Acceptable or not. That job is not acceptable for the drilling fubar as well as kindergarten level finishing around the area of the mistake. He didn't really try to make it better. That says, "Well I really screwed this up. No sense in trying to put lipstick on a pig and have the customer reject the correction. If the customer is an idiot and accepts this, good for me."

Movers f-ed up some high end mahogany furniture of mine and the insurance company set me up with a restorer in the Woonsocket area. The resto job is so good that I no longer remember what carved leg was shattered. I know the guy who restored Bill Monroe's vandalized Gibson mandolin- probably the most famous player and instrument in all of bluegrass. When it was done it looked and played just as before the damage. Your stock? That's a miniscule screw up by comparison and it looks like the gunsmith didn't even try.

I'd be REALLY pissed.

Gunsmith doesn't mean they know dink about woodwork. Ya got screwed but really for stock work on a nice shotgun you need to go to people that specialize in that sort of thing. Orvis maybe or that spendy shotgun place in RI. Not drop in trigger jobs and 10/22 repair guy.

Gunsmith doesn't mean they know dink about woodwork. Ya got screwed but really for stock work on a nice shotgun you need to go to people that specialize in that sort of thing. Orvis maybe or that spendy shotgun place in RI. Not drop in trigger jobs and 10/22 repair guy.

Yeah, this type of work is something you send to a dude that specializes in wood stocked expensive shotguns. Even if you have to box it up and ship it out to someone. This isn't for the average guy who brazes on beads to barrels or drills and taps for scopes etc.

How pissed would you be if you took a browning citori shotgun to get modified for an adjustable comb and the professional gunsmith drilled too close to the cut, didn’t say anything about it, and when asked about the area said, “yes ... I had to use a little epoxy”?

SMH
I'd be pretty pissed. This is why you'd bring it to the so-called "professional" to do it. If we wanted an apprentice to do the job, we'd do it ourselves. No? Hope you got a refund, or at least partial.

I had a stock break in half (was previously glued). It was an old Mossberg .22 from my father in law. Anyhow, long story short, and NES'r helped me out, and not only fixed it, but made it better than it started out. Could not even find the seam.

Last edited:
How pissed would you be if you took a browning citori shotgun to get modified for an adjustable comb and the professional gunsmith drilled too close to the cut, didn’t say anything about it, and when asked about the area said, “yes ... I had to use a little epoxy”?

SMH
[angry2]

That looks like $#!T.
Money back and a new stock, period.
People have bad days but JFC...I'd have been embarrassed to hand that back to you.
...my footer...

I was give back $300 (for the adjustable comb charge) after expressing how dissatisfied I was. The gunsmith who is Sergei at RustBlue Gunsmithing in Natick.
I was charged $680 for the adjustable butt pad. Take a look at that work with the pad off.

This is the first gun I’ve ever purchased that I hoped to give to my son someday. I’m left with a very bad taste in my mouth. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do next, I’m all ears. I would really like to make this positive story and have a gun that I can shoot well and pass down. As I said before, live and learn, but it’s a tough entry into the sport.

Thanks to all for the support. Happy holidays.

Attachments

• 9C2EDC20-C1DC-4863-8BE8-956174C52464.jpeg
    9C2EDC20-C1DC-4863-8BE8-956174C52464.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 61
  • F20C56DE-6FAC-4820-B2CF-23F891227567.jpeg
    F20C56DE-6FAC-4820-B2CF-23F891227567.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 61
If you look closely in the last picture you can see the wood pushed out into the chamber from the two screws from adjustable comb mount (drilled down perpendicular). Not to mention a second hole for the top mounting screw and the wood starting to break between the main chamber and the top one.

I was give back $300 (for the adjustable comb charge) after expressing how dissatisfied I was. The gunsmith who is Sergei at RustBlue Gunsmithing in Natick.
I was charged $680 for the adjustable butt pad. Take a look at that work with the pad off.

This is the first gun I’ve ever purchased that I hoped to give to my son someday. I’m left with a very bad taste in my mouth. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do next, I’m all ears. I would really like to make this positive story and have a gun that I can shoot well and pass down. As I said before, live and learn, but it’s a tough entry into the sport.

Yeah, the days of "wood & steel" gunsmith/artisans is winding down. The hand-checkering and engraving are becoming a "lost art". That is the kind of Smithy you want on your Citori.

My advice, if someone doesn't offer better advice is to contact Greg Derr and ask him for his advice. He may take the job or point you towards the right person for it.

Greg is an Artist in every sense of the word. He wont steer you wrong...

~Enbloc

That is horrible, horrible work. You’re still short $380, and if Sergei had any modicum of self-respect, he’d give that back to you too.

I wish I had the contact info for the guy that did my Citori stock. I’ll take a look and see if I can find it, but it was 20+ years ago. Your best bet is a new stock.

The Citori is a workhorse. You have a great, lifetime type shotgun. Replace the stock and happily pass it on to your son.

It was $680 for the stock + $300 for the comb (which I was refunded).

That is horrible, horrible work. You’re still short $380, and if Sergei had any modicum of self-respect, he’d give that back to you too.

I wish I had the contact info for the guy that did my Citori stock. I’ll take a look and see if I can find it, but it was 20+ years ago. Your best bet is a new stock.

The Citori is a workhorse. You have a great, lifetime type shotgun. Replace the stock and happily pass it on to your son.

Im shocked , thats not typical of Rustblues work. I have seen a dozen or so of his stock work.
age must be catching up with him and rushed through that “easy” job to get your cash.
Coles does good stock work also.

i suggest hanging out on Trapshooters.com and get a ear on who is the up and coming stock guy.

Ken rucker did some work for me before I started doing things myself.
Hes now retired

your stock looks like it was aproached at a very utilitarian view. It will work but its ugly. Something I would expect on a old scratched up press checkered 870.

Im not familiar with the different types of citori. But theres several trap stocks here

i think where rustblue failed was not guiding you to a new stock to begin with that had more meat to work with
Like a Monte Carlo Trap stock with parallel comb?

Last edited:
I thought abortion was a forbidden subject on NES? Sorry about the bad work.

Odd, I’ve heard good stories about that shop but this one is a completely botched job.

Back
Top Bottom