• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

On a scale of 1-10 ...

How pissed would you be if you took a browning citori shotgun to get modified for an adjustable comb and the professional gunsmith drilled too close to the cut, didn’t say anything about it, and when asked about the area said, “yes ... I had to use a little epoxy”?

SMH

Attachments

• E2F6EF5B-BBAB-48C1-8873-FF45BA5ECE38.png
    E2F6EF5B-BBAB-48C1-8873-FF45BA5ECE38.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 563
How pissed would you be if you took a browning citori shotgun to get modified for an adjustable comb and the professional gunsmith drilled too close to the cut, didn’t say anything about it, and when asked about the area said, “yes ... I had to use a little epoxy”?

SMH

I paid $300 and it’s not a friend down the road in a garage ... pro gunsmith with 5 star reviews. He is going to “try and fit a piece of wood” to the area, but I don’t know he’s going to do that and not have it look like crap?

I played it cool and am giving him an opportunity to try and make it right, but very frustrated.

It is time to discuss with him about purchasing you a new gun. If he refused have an attorney send him a letter demanding a new gun and why. If that doesn't work take him to court. This is unacceptable work and the gunsmith should make the mastake right

hmm. and you accepted that?
truly, no different than to give a car to the shop for repairs and get back a motor with a brand new set of holes in it, patched with a chewing gum.

i have installed a few handfulls of adjustable combs. The wood does not always play well.
In my fear of exactly what you posted i always went a little high.
At first glance it looks like he used the wood to thread the lock screw into. The kits I have installe d the hole is just for access to the lock screw in the bushing installed in the comb.

SMH
can you remove the comb and snap some pics of the rest of the install?
He really needs to work on his wood finishing skills if hes going to do this kind of work.
@ $300 i would not be made at the wood splitting i would not be happy with the quality of repair. Really could have been done better.
IF I did that i would have called you before proceeding with repairs. i would also have explained that wood will sometimes split or crack when working close to the edges BEFORE attempting the job.
i will add, i had scope mount holes D&T on a rifle years ago. Shop called me an said in the process of removing the stock he F'd it up.
He sure did, nice crack from bottom of magwell to the top at 45'. Pretty much broken. He offered to send it out to have it repaired. It came back perfect and he refinished the entire stock also.
Only when he pointed out the 2 small pin holes where the metal rods where inserted could I tell ut was repaired.
I work on cars, i have dented or scratched a few over the years. When i told the customers only one actually wanted me to get it fixed. Good customers treated with good communication tend to be very good to deal with.

Last edited:
I’d be livid! Who’s the gunsmith?
Oh my rating
1 = eh whatever 10- wtf

For not even telling me - 10
For having unforseen problems -1
Having that finish blem glaring at me -8

So overall 8.5

Safe queen i would be upset, rifle/shotgun im actually going to pump 10k+ rounds through Would be forgetten quickly.

when I noticed how bad the repair was I turned around and brought it back ... was very level headed and said listen there is no way this epoxy is going to hold like this. This is damaged. The gunsmith took the gun back and is going use a wood insert to make the repair. I don’t have any experience gunsmithing, but I know if you try and repair a single piece of hardwood floor, it won’t match, so I’m concerned with what this fix is going to look like (especially given the first go around).

Worst case scenario I could demand a new stock (which can’t be cheap right?) but I would imagine that’s not going to be an easy conversation and I don’t want to have to threaten small claims or escalate it any further. Hopefully he tries to make it right.

Here’s the kicker, he charged me $640 to install Gracoil adjustable butt plate so I’m into this guy for almost a grand. One of those momentsin life where you realize you are being ripped off. I have a 54inch shoulder sports coat and a long neck so was trying to make a trap gun that I could mount correctly and figured it would be worth it in the long run. Wishing now I had just left things as is. Live and learn!

This was the fix (pictures below) ... when I said that others had mentioned that i should request a new stock he said that would be outlandish and $3k. “Why not demand $5k?!?" He actually said. Not apologetic in the least about anything. Never got a sorry these things happen.

The money is one thing, but he actually had the balls to come back and say it was a “microscopic” crack that he didn’t notice until I brought it back in, And that I should be more appreciative to the work that he did to fix it!!

I guess all I'm left with is that some people don't have any integrity and venting about it on the internet doesn't change a damn thing. Oh well, Santa is coming soon.

Looks like the underside (the sawcut area) isn't finished either?
Sorry for your disappointment, not cool at those prices.

So is that screw threaded into the wood ??

Ooof. That sucks. What is it with gun shops/smiths/etc that think they can get away with treating people like this? I've had it happen to me a number of times. Acme, North Shore, etc...

Back
Top Bottom