On a scale of 1-10 ...

Wow. Thats bad. I feel like we need a gofundme for you. What does a new stock go for?

I dunno about his gun but I know a dude who busted his Beretta stock while we were out shooting sporting clays (via a golf cart accident) told me his replacement via Cole's was likely going to run north of a grand.....

Coles does good stock work also.

Coles is the de-facto go-to for the guys I "lesser fudd"/shoot shotguns with..... you will pay, though. I don't care enough to want/need anything I cant get off the gun out of the box....

No resolution on my end other than 300 bones back for the second stage of work. I sent a bunch of notes out to custom stock makers with limited success with the exception of these guys who were very generous with their time.

If I get good enough at the sport some day I'll make it out to Montana and give Jon my business. Class act.

$1000 to install both comb and recoil pad is to much IMHO, especially for that level of work.
B... b... but you gets whats yous pays for, right??? *sarcasm*

This is why I don't part with that kind of cash for such a job. The "smith" was clearly trying to quote him a stupid high price to make him go away without telling him it's a job that he didn't want to do or felt confident in doing, but he didn't want to say that to a first time customer.

This is why I don't part with that kind of cash for such a job. The "smith" was clearly trying to quote him a stupid high price to make him go away without telling him it's a job that he didn't want to do or felt confident in doing, but he didn't want to say that to a first time customer.

Lol, not sure if serious but that kind of money is fairly typical for hi brow shotgun work like that.

ETA: bottom line is the smith f***ed it up, regardless.

When I was an apprentice carpenter I was repairing a very expensive antique conference table in a bank president's office. When I tightened the screws which held the table top to the pedestal base the screws over penetrated by a fraction of an inch enough to make noticable bumps in the burlwood veneer top.
After many unsuccessful attempts to repair it myself I ended up sending it off to a restoration & preservation firm. It came back in perfect condition but it cost me just under $4000.00
That was a tough one to swallow considering I was making under $300.00 a week at the time.
But you have to make it right. You're supposed to make your customer's project better, not worse.
I ended up doing several more very lucrative projects for the bank in the following years. So the $4000.00 investment in my professional reputation was money well spent.

Coles is good, so is Joel Etchen Guns in PA. They sell shotguns but also do services

Remember to pay your 5.25% use tax on shotguns bought over the 'net and shipped to your local FFL. Charlie needs more money to waste!

So he has 50+ years experience and YOU had to complain about his F-Up not him owning up and attempting to make it right. I wonder how many others walked away not realizing a mistake was made.

The adjustable insert isn’t even centered in the stock. The pins are off center to compensate.

Unless its not supposed to be centered.
Depending on how much cast and toe are built into the stock , some combs are also “rolled over it can be tough to make it “centered” the point of adjustable combs is to correct cast , comb height and your eye center line with the rib.
Im actually surprised rustblue did this, something tells me it was not done by segi himself or in his aging had developed weak hands and tired eyes. It happens even to the masters.
I try to tell anyone whos buying a trap gun try to pick one up with a adjustable comb already installed.

Todd: next time your st the club check out some of the trap shooters set ups. Tou will see all sorts of wild adjustments on these adjustable combs.

this is what I have on my briwning gold trap , it was cheaper than a LH stock set up in wood

Attachments

• 98419AF0-81C0-4791-9AEB-0D2D9C6BCC99.jpeg
    98419AF0-81C0-4791-9AEB-0D2D9C6BCC99.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Not sure what the holes on the underside are either ... Unreal!
The more I look at this the more I think that stock (field or sporting style) just did not have enough meat to install a kit.

i know the factory sporting stocks comb with combs but theres not much adjustment there, and the comb is thin

41142B13-BBA5-49E2-97D7-0EEEAB2415DC.jpeg
Vs the parallel comb found on many trap guns

7C53593B-90B3-4912-9B9B-D84759D6F94C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom