Old guns in the closets Sears model 25

Nice gun, there probably tens of thousands of those around the country, but only a small handful look that good of condition. That is a nice find.
I did this before digital cam and access to internet.
It was a mess when I got it. The stock was painted brown as so many where back then. All the same shit brown paint/stain shit they used so no ugly guns sat on the shelf. You never know what's under that finish

Marlin model 60 90s production I think.
Removed the finish.applied a amber dye then several coats of minwax water based poly

View: https://i.imgur.com/tKSPifV.jpg

I did a little trigger work and have it down to 3lbs and smooth. The stock was bedded around the heal of the receiver and cleared the mag tube and barrel of any contact of the stock

I picked this up many years ago as a rusty plain shit brown painted stock cheap sears gun. Bought at kittery in 1988ish. was in the back in the "you fix'em" barrel.
I stripped the brown paint/stain they smother all these old 22s in and bead blasted and painted the action. rifle was made in the early sixties by highStandard

I have not shot this rifle in 20 years. it was pretty dirty I grabbed a few incomplete boxes of ammo and headed out into that wind today.
50 yards elbows on the bench and just plinked away...
this gun is pretty quirky the bolt actually stays open until you release the trigger and the trigger is MA compliant on excessive pull weight!

I have several of these old forgotten guns in the closet and im dragging them out 1 by one. finish any that need to be and get them in working order..

MpKWnlP.jpg

sr2y0IM.jpg

JDCpJ5z.jpg

Hyn4Eya.jpg

target 50 yards
top SK standard
middle eley target yellow box
UU71Pml.jpg

bottom Aquila super extra

She's no match gun but with some ammo selection and a small 4x scope she's fun.

took this out to do some trigger work. Right now its 8lbs and gritty. A good amount of the grit feel is the design. It has springs riding in the 2 sears. One sear releases the bolt one holds the bolt open until you release the trigger. I will try it with out the 2nd sear. Im still trying to figure out the design thought behind this. It only works if you have trigger control and hold the trigger to the rearafter every shot?

Nice job on the refinish.

I have two Stevens Model 87A's and one Springfield Model 87A with the same slots in the left side of their receivers.

They are nice old .22 rifles and shoot Shorts, Long and LR. Great range plinkers and they were cheap.

Nice job on the refinish.

I have two Stevens Model 87A's and one Springfield Model 87A with the same slots in the left side of their receivers.

They are nice old .22 rifles and shoot Shorts, Long and LR. Great range plinkers and they were cheap.
Gill guns....there is a cult following for them out there.

Gill guns....there is a cult following for them out there.

They also have the feature of being able to lock the bolt open or closed by pushing in the charging knob on the bolt, making it great for shooting suppressed if you thread the barrel or are training a new shooter ( kid) and want it to act as a single shot.

Trigger work

View: https://youtu.be/ibeeHkacVbU

Cleaning up and polishing I post 1lb

Looks like 80% of the weight is in that main spring.
I only had one spring that was remotely close to the right size and lighter. It was to light to lock the Sears. I tried running it with out the 2nd dear and it won’t allow the firing pin to set with out it. Would need to inspect the bolt more to see how that works. So 7lbs is where it stays. I don’t have any springs worth sacrificing on hand for this project

Back
Top Bottom