Old guns in the closets Sears model 25

mac1911

NES Member
I picked this up many years ago as a rusty plain shit brown painted stock cheap sears gun. Bought at kittery in 1988ish. was in the back in the "you fix'em" barrel.
I stripped the brown paint/stain they smother all these old 22s in and bead blasted and painted the action. rifle was made in the early sixties by highStandard

I have not shot this rifle in 20 years. it was pretty dirty I grabbed a few incomplete boxes of ammo and headed out into that wind today.
50 yards elbows on the bench and just plinked away...
this gun is pretty quirky the bolt actually stays open until you release the trigger and the trigger is MA compliant on excessive pull weight!

I have several of these old forgotten guns in the closet and im dragging them out 1 by one. finish any that need to be and get them in working order..

MpKWnlP.jpg

sr2y0IM.jpg

JDCpJ5z.jpg

Hyn4Eya.jpg

target 50 yards
top SK standard
middle eley target yellow box
UU71Pml.jpg

bottom Aquila super extra

She's no match gun but with some ammo selection and a small 4x scope she's fun.

Last edited:
I have an old Stevens(?) model 6B that's got the same action. They call them click-clacks. Mines a jam-o-matic. Someone at some time thought they were a gunsmith and crapped up the receiver.

Are you sure its not a Stevens/Savage. I have an identical rifle that was found in a grandparent closet and it looks identical to yours except much uglier wood. Jams often and once in a while goes full auto but i love shooting it.

Wood looks excellent, especially on that second pic. What'd you finish it with?

I've got one of these as well... Your stock is MUCH prettier than mine.

You never know what's under the paint/stain they used. They would make all these utilitarian stocks the same mud brown color to hide the grain so the ugly ones would sell also.
I stripped it with what ever nasty stuff was around 25+ years ago and it has a few coats of either tung oil finish or tru oil...I forget. It needs a final sanding and maybe a finish coat.
Its a Sears gun built by high standard high standard released a simular rifle also A-100 sportking.

Are you sure its not a Stevens/Savage. I have an identical rifle that was found in a grandparent closet and it looks identical to yours except much uglier wood. Jams often and once in a while goes full auto but i love shooting it.

It could be a crossover model. Sears did not make any firearms they just had re-branded guns from other manufacturers. I have a few Sears guns and they all are made by Marlin.
Mossberg made guns for Montgomery Wards under the name Wards-Westernfield and so did Savage.

It could be a crossover model. Sears did not make any firearms they just had re-branded guns from other manufacturers. I have a few Sears guns and they all are made by Marlin.
Mossberg made guns for Montgomery Wards under the name Wards-Westernfield and so did Savage.
v

this rifle was made by high standard for sears i have other rifles also designed by high standard for sears and the "brands"
I also have several "marlins" branded as XYZ like western, mongumory and such

I have one with that same action and it also does that weird 'bolt goes into battery only when trigger is released' thing. Mine is in pristine shape and has never once jammed or given me any other problems. I think it's a Springfield. I haven't shot it in probably a year. I'll have to pull it from the dark corner of the safe and post pics.

I have one, You can also lock the bolt closed if you desire. The first time I shot it I said. "This ****ing thing has a delay???" Then I realized what was happening.

You never know what's under the paint/stain they used. They would make all these utilitarian stocks the same mud brown color to hide the grain so the ugly ones would sell also.
I stripped it with what ever nasty stuff was around 25+ years ago and it has a few coats of either tung oil finish or tru oil...I forget. It needs a final sanding and maybe a finish coat.
Its a Sears gun built by high standard high standard released a simular rifle also A-100 sportking.

If I ever get through my projects I might just find out! Mud brown sounds about right for its current condition - and yes, mine is Sears branded as well.

Fingers crossed it looks half as nice as yours.

My favorite .22 rifle is a single shot bolt action (I think it's a Sears) with an inexpensive but quality scope. I like to take that out to the woods and just plink with CCI "quiet" rounds when all the good hunting seasons are over. [wink]

My favorite .22 rifle is a single shot bolt action (I think it's a Sears) with an inexpensive but quality scope. I like to take that out to the woods and just plink with CCI "quiet" rounds when all the good hunting seasons are over. [wink]

I still like my Glenfield 25 with shorts. Has a Crap trigger and action is as smooth as half dry concrete but that little bigger shoots well. Inside 50 yards nothing was safe

Nice job on the stock. Seen alot of these 22 'gill' guns during that time period. Not sure why that was popular but they seem to work well.

Looks like it will be good to go for some time now. Nice hand me down for the next generation.

Nice job on the stock. Seen alot of these 22 'gill' guns during that time period. Not sure why that was popular but they seem to work well.

Looks like it will be good to go for some time now. Nice hand me down for the next generation.

My only guess to the gills is to allow some of the blowback crud a place to go...

When the reticles are thick like that I will rest the dot or some other small mark (that I can see clearly) at the bottom center of the top right quadrant. So the dot is placed against the upper and the right crosshairs.

Who owns the blueprints to some of these old guns? Some of them are just plain awesome. "They don't make them like that any more."

Back
Top Bottom