• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, this is not OK. New forum freaks me out.

Another change I am not a fan of is it doesn't show the total number of posts and date the poster became a member. Can't spot the trolls......other know if a poster is a long time member that contributes alot of content or not.

Does it show you the post count if you tap on their avatar?

Not a fan...hate it! Why is the new format better again?:confused:

Fair number of posts in this thread, but a critical one is the one from Shorty where he tells us that the software was end-of-lifed a while ago, and briefly states what he's doing to keep this forum up and running.

I'm in sort of the same business, and upgrades are a necessary evil. As a service provider upgrades are a pain in the ass to do, they annoy the customer, and they bring in a whole new set of problems. You're trading known issues for unknown issues. Software running on the internet has a short shelf life, it's vulnerable to attack, and Derek and his admins first responsibility to us as users is to provide a database that's up and running.

If it crashes regularly, it doesn't matter what size or color the font is.

My first response to the new format is much the same as every else - ewww. Change? Change is bad. But, NES down is unacceptable. So deal with it. And the upside is that other forums that are using this format won't look so intimidating and foreign.

Derek, Shorty and who-ever else is working on this will continue to address issues if the issues are stated as "this doesn't work", or "it would be nice if this could be made to work like this". Statements like "this sucks, I don't like it" don't define a goal to be achieved.

We're in UAT of our release. I've got my own customers who aren't happy...

It does for me, but like so many things (pages of posts when looking at threads, feedback - now at zero) it's hidden until you go looking for it. Before, information was just there. Now you're clicking on things left and right, and hovering your mouse over literally nothing in the off chance that something magically appears to tell you what was instantly apparent before.

Please understand, no one is attacking Derek and the crew that maintains the board. In fact I have over 35+ years as a professional software engineer so I do live the upgrade process daily. Just pointing out some things that may or may not be controllable from the theme end.

Although I do not know this B.B. software personally, I’m a very quick study, if you ever need another set of eyes & hands, I don’t mind helping out where I can.

Harry

Fair number of posts in this thread, but a critical one is the one from Shorty where he tells us that the software was end-of-lifed a while ago, and briefly states what he's doing to keep this forum up and running.

I'm in sort of the same business, and upgrades are a necessary evil. As a service provider upgrades are a pain in the ass to do, they annoy the customer, and they bring in a whole new set of problems. You're trading known issues for unknown issues. Software running on the internet has a short shelf life, it's vulnerable to attack, and Derek and his admins first responsibility to us as users is to provide a database that's up and running.

If it crashes regularly, it doesn't matter what size or color the font is.

My first response to the new format is much the same as every else - ewww. Change? Change is bad. But, NES down is unacceptable. So deal with it. And the upside is that other forums that are using this format won't look so intimidating and foreign.

Derek, Shorty and who-ever else is working on this will continue to address issues if the issues are stated as "this doesn't work", or "it would be nice if this could be made to work like this". Statements like "this sucks, I don't like it" don't define a goal to be achieved.

We're in UAT of our release. I've got my own customers who aren't happy...

OK.....So my suggestion is to try and tone it down a little....That would be a start.

Another change I am not a fan of is it doesn't show the total number of posts and date the poster became a member. Can't spot the trolls......other know if a poster is a long time member that contributes alot of content or not.

Good point...that said more post's does not always indicate quality....I can name many that are just post whores.

It does for me, but like so many things (pages of posts when looking at threads, feedback - now at zero) it's hidden until you go looking for it. Before, information was just there. Now you're clicking on things left and right, and hovering your mouse over literally nothing in the off chance that something magically appears to tell you what was instantly apparent before.

We have multiple ways of displaying this, just as in the past.. we're working through how to best display it going forward.

It does if you click on their avatar yes. It was just easier before because at a quick glance you knew how long they have been on the forum and how many posts they contribute.

Critical issue! Post upgrade, Whackos animated gif avatar, is no longer animated.

This is a huge issue and needs to be addresses ASAP.
I noticed this too........This is a serious problem!!!!!!

However....if you are in desperate need to watch recoil + yoga pants......click the avatar and it will pop up and animate.;)

i'm sure the people using actual computers will get used to it...it's also still having the kinks worked out...buttons moved around and some renamed...features added and some lost/still being worked on...but people that browse via cell tapatalk are going to have a hard time adjusting to using a browser version vs an app that's made to run forums efficiently...i use a computer most times but i also use tapatalk a lot and i'm sure i probably won't use the mobile site much anymore just cause i find it frustrating thus far

Here's another vote for not a fan of the new look and feel.

Some of the new options are nice - but the Applei-zed look and feel quite frankly just sucks. It's too hard to differentiate one post from another one.

I don't know what is going on with computer interfaces and web interfaces these days - but I think it's yet another case of things that had pretty much gotten as good as they were going to get - so when the "engineers" get hold of things pretty much the only change they can make is to f*** it up.

Edit: LOL, noticed after I posted the above comment that the dirty word blocker apparently isn't working any more - no more **** !

Make NES Great Again!

No green arrows. No green likes or red dislikes anymore. Startup forum menus do not differentiate between old and new. Font is very wussy and the brightness illuminates me as a target of my wife's verbal machine gun barrage when she is trying to fall asleep while I am trying to find what I was reading or what I was avoiding to read.

Click on "Like" and the artificial intelligence which must be behind this NES sabotage will inform you that "You like this!". :mad:

You can't upgrade the excellence!

Last edited:
Finally! The formatting in any browser I tried to view the old forum with was awful. It wouldn't fit the page properly, so I could either see the whole post in tiny letters, or I could see half the post in proper letters, or something thereabouts.

Back
Top Bottom