• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, this is not OK. New forum freaks me out.

While I'm not a big fan of the new look, I've already gotten used to it and kind of
familiarized with navigating around the features.
Then again, I don't own a smart phone, and do all my web surfing on a desk top or lap top.

For those of you that think reading and following things with this new look is frustrating, try following
discussions on any of the Chan forums... you'll be cursing at the monitor, and slamming your keyboard.

I lost my GIF avatar. Not a big deal as I can add it back or get a new one, but how? I do not see anything for avatar. Other than that and iTrader, not so bad. Gotta have my NES so thanks for the hard work.

It's usually on "personal details" screen; above "gender" and birthday info (I looked on another Xenforo forum I'm on). Don't see it here yet. Guessing they haven't added that capability yet.

Another change I am not a fan of is it doesn't show the total number of posts and date the poster became a member. Can't spot the trolls......other know if a poster is a long time member that contributes alot of content or not.
update.....that feature is back now!

The main three things we are working on now.

1. Color Scheme - I'm trying to get it to match the old forum, its not that easy with the style sheets in here. I'm also going to hopefully have a few different schemes users can pick for themselves
  2. iTrader - This is no brainer, Shorty and I have the Xenforo mod for it. It's a matter of time to install, convert, and push live.
  3. Mobile device software - like I said in another thread Tapatalk is notoriously flawed security wise. I will find an alternative that will work.
I think most of us can agree those are the three most glaring improvements that need to take place first.
Please be patient, Dave and I both have full time jobs and we are trying to get this done as quickly as we can.

Thank you, a clear list of what is being worked on that acknowledges the issues.

For me, I know I'll adjust to the new format on my computer. But with the small buttons and links being close together (thread list), it's basically unusable on a mobile device, maybe if I had small pointy fingers it would be better. This needs to be a high priority, frankly it should have been addressed in pre-rollout evaluation, but I get it, limited time.

I am curious why this was chosen over the new release of vBulletin, which has a mobile version (I haven't seen it), and I assume has an easier migration from the old vBulletin?

if you are triggered by the new forum....i suggest you watch some Bob Ross painting with his mighty brush, and just chill out for a while in a very safe space. Then...come back

Ahhh, it’s almost time to go to rosstown , Nsb , fla.

Minor UX suggestion:

Make the NES logo at the top smaller/thinner. It's eating more than a 1/3 of the screen real estate on mobile right out the gate.

OK, I find these big-ass question marks disconcerting. So I'd like to add an avatar. Something I should have done long ago.

With the new system - WHERE IS THE AVATAR???!!! LOL I'm sure I'm looking RIGHT AT IT. But I can't see it. (Checked - green thru July 2018.)

OK, I find these big-ass question marks disconcerting. So I'd like to add an avatar. Something I should have done long ago.

With the new system - WHERE IS THE AVATAR???!!! LOL I'm sure I'm looking RIGHT AT IT. But I can't see it. (Checked - green thru July 2018.)
I should do so as well. Hope the instructions are as simple minded as I am.

Thank you, a clear list of what is being worked on that acknowledges the issues.

For me, I know I'll adjust to the new format on my computer. But with the small buttons and links being close together (thread list), it's basically unusable on a mobile device, maybe if I had small pointy fingers it would be better. This needs to be a high priority, frankly it should have been addressed in pre-rollout evaluation, but I get it, limited time.

I am curious why this was chosen over the new release of vBulletin, which has a mobile version (I haven't seen it), and I assume has an easier migration from the old vBulletin?

The development of VB5 has been painfully slow and it was lacking some basic features until the last few months. We evaluated it, but at the point where we made this decision, the software just wasn't in a good state.

In the unread watched threads list, the little dot for going to the last read, doesn't. Sometimes it's someplace in the middle of all post but most of the time it's page 1. I would have assumed it just reset all the watched threads but I still have watched threads with no new posts so that isn't the case.

Also, I used to be able to look at all watched threads sorted with those with new posts at the top, can't find a way to do that now.

I'm going to spend the hours going through my watched threads so they will go to the last read. I want to try and keep up but without viable mobile access it's more likely I'll have to just drop down to a couple threads, disappointing.

And what's with the banner showing "Likes" at the bottom of the post. What, is NES FaceBook now. I liked not being FB. And the cute rep point ratings made NES different, why don't we all just go to FB and we'll be like everyone else.

In the schizophrenic world we live in today change is hard, you like to count on stuff. Old NES was like your worn out old lady on the back of your bike tried and true lots of mileage but you could count on her when all else failed. New NES is like your new 18 year old girlfriend pretty shiny a little too noisy sometimes. You really haven't figured her out yet, she isn't really sure if shes doing it right but shes eager and pretty and she's really trying for you. Give her a chance, remember when you first met old NES and the dashboard seemed awkward, posting was a little difficult to figure out. In the end you were happy happy with her too.

In the unread watched threads list, the little dot for going to the last read, doesn't. Sometimes it's someplace in the middle of all post but most of the time it's page 1. I would have assumed it just reset all the watched threads but I still have watched threads with no new posts so that isn't the case.

i marked all my watched threads as read and then it seems to work going forward with new posts

i marked all my watched threads as read and then it seems to work going forward with new posts

I couldn't find the link to do that in bulk, so I went to each thread, a PTA but now I can see the really new posts.

Still, the lack of a usable mobile version is a big deal for me.

I couldn't find the link to do that in bulk, so I went to each thread, a PTA but now I can see the really new posts.

Still, the lack of a usable mobile version is a big deal for me.

actually i'm wrong...i had to go to "new posts" and then "mark forums read"...they are working on a trying to find a mobile app

I wish there was more a noticeable break between posts.

Under the old format my wife used to walk by and see the red bars separating posts on the screen of my phone from a distance, which caused her to mutter a "gun forum" comment. This is better except that now she's going to think I'm spending all day on a cat forum, or an environmentalist forum or something.

Back
Top Bottom