OK, so who actually LIKES 40 S&W?

mikeyp

NES Member
They seem to get bashed a lot, with some people outing themselves as liking them. I got my G27, first firearm, and I do like it. Yes, it's snappy, but I don't know much of the difference since I haven't shot a lot besides it(22, 25 and a 38). I do plan on getting the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for it(and maybe the 357 sig and eventually the 22 conversion setup) and then I'll have "multiple" guns. But, I don't hate my 40. I'm proud to say it! [smile]

40 is the redheaded step child of the venerable 10mm, existing only because some people in the FBI cried about recoil.

40 is an abomination. It's a neutered 10mm. Snipped, stripped of all decency, and left in the corner to sulk and wallow in it's own mediocrity. If the FBI didn't cry about recoil because of their baby soft wimpy hands, instead of plentiful weak 40 ammo, we would have plentiful devil 10mm ammo. Imagine....a world full of stocked shelves...containing 10mm....

F*** 40. Ruined everything.

I have 4 "forty's". I have no issue shooting them and i enjoy always finding good ammo cheap in walmart due to all the limp wrists out there who think it's to snappy

Yeah but other than that they're awesome.
40 is the redheaded step child of the venerable 10mm, existing only because some people in the FBI cried about recoil.

40 is an abomination. It's a neutered 10mm. Snipped, stripped of all decency, and left in the corner to sulk and wallow in it's own mediocrity. If the FBI didn't cry about recoil because of their baby soft wimpy hands, instead of plentiful weak 40 ammo, we would have plentiful devil 10mm ammo. Imagine....a world full of stocked shelves...containing 10mm....

I recently bought my first 40. The reason: it is the minimum caliber to make major in USPSA. Sure it is a weakened version of the 10mm but for competition it is a versatile cartridge. You can load it minor for USPSA production, SS minor and IDPA SSP/ESP. You can load it major for Limited, L10, and SS major and take advantage of major scoring.

I like .40 I think it a good for what it is. I have carried 9 40 and 45 and I shoot the .40 the best. I think it's all just personal preference. If you really want to learn about any hand gun round go to youtube and look up brass fetcher its a good insight to all the hand gun rounds.

I do plan on getting the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for it(and maybe the 357 sig and eventually the 22 conversion setup) and then I'll have "multiple" guns.

That's the biggest reason I went with an M&P40c as my first non-22 handgun. I bought it mainly for the ability to shoot 357sig but also have a cheaper way to practice.

Frankly I think the caliber kind of has the worst of both worlds - it has the recoil of a more powerful round, but not the power... And it's not even super cheap to shoot!

While the snappy recoil is a non-issue when calmly shooting targets at the range, it DOES make fast and accurate followup shots harder when compared with 9mm. This is especially true in a small gun meant to be concealed. I'm sure one can become very proficient with a 40, but I have to think that given equal training and practice that person would be more effective with a 9mm. Since all the commonly carried handgun calibers are so similar in "stopping power", it seems silly to carry a round that is harder to control but isn't significantly more effective at neutralizing threats.

I love my 40 and I actually enjoy the snap of it when at the range. But in all honesty I would be more effective using 9mm in just about any situation... Don't have the 357sig barrel (yet!) so I can't comment there.

Last edited:
That's the biggest reason I went with an M&P40c as my first non-22 handgun. I bought it mainly for the ability to shoot 357sig but also have a cheaper way to practice.

Frankly I think the caliber kind of has the worst of both worlds - it has the recoil of a more powerful round, but not the power... And it's not even super cheap to shoot!

While the snappy recoil is a non-issue when calmly shooting targets at the range, it DOES make fast and accurate followup shots harder when compared with 9mm. This is especially true in a small gun meant to be concealed. I'm sure one can become very proficient with a 40, but I have to think that given equal training and practice that person would be more effective with a 9mm. Since all the commonly carried handgun calibers are so similar in "stopping power", it seems silly to carry a round that is harder to control but isn't significantly more effective at neutralizing threats.

I love my 40 and I actually enjoy the snap of it when at the range. But in all honesty I would be more effective using 9mm in just about any situation... Don't have the 357sig barrel (yet!) so I can't comment there.

This. My 229 is a .40, with the .357 conversion.

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo

Agreed 100%.

Sorry to the OP. But buy the 9mm conversion barrel or better yet a G26. Or just push us .40 haters aside and carry it! [laugh]

I've got a G23 and a Ruger PC4. Odd thing is I can shoot the G23 better than what I could ever shoot my G19 and the PC4 is something I got because it was cheap. If I could have found a PC9 at the time I'd have probably got it instead because mags are easier to find, especially high caps.

I love how people bitch about the .40 being "short and weak" and then talk about the 9mm or .380 that they carry. (When their wives let them carry that is.)

Somebody on here said, "If I know I will need a gun, it'll be a rifle. If I think I will need a gun, it'll be a 357. If I don't think I'll need a gun, it'll be a 22 derringer." I could be misquoting the calibers, but you get the idea.

I think the lesson to take away from that FBI gun battle that sparked the development of the 10mm is not that they needed more stopping power in their handguns... It's that they should have had M4's and rifle plates in their cars. Don't bring a pistol to a rifle fight, I guess? It's a sidearm, not a primary weapon for going into a gun fight with ex-special-forces-guys-turned-bank-robbers.

Last edited:
I like it because it goes bang.

This.

In cooler weather I carry a Glock 23, but give equal time to my Glock 30 and 1911. In warm weather I carry an LC9. If I can shoot it accurately and comfortably I'm fine with it.

I don't care what anybody says about a caliber...I still wouldn't volunteer to be on the receiving end.

Back
Top Bottom