Oh Boy here we go

Typical, go after the gun owner rather than the criminal. Granted this guy was an idiot for leaving his house and not having his firearms secure but WTF. My bet is that they will concentrate their efforts on prosecuting him rather than finding the actual criminals.

Typical, go after the gun owner rather than the criminal. Granted this guy was an idiot for leaving his house and not having his firearms secure but WTF. My bet is that they will concentrate their efforts on prosecuting him rather than finding the actual criminals.

They may never find out who stole the guys stuff, but at least one criminal has been apprehended, and the remaining guns are "off the street". [thinking]

My house should be considered it's own proper locking device... Sending another donation to GOAL. Good luck with the bill.

Dumb!

He had an LTC. It's his obligation to know the law.

AT LEAST, lock up those remaining before calling in the theft of the others.

What was this guy smoking?

Technically, if the house was locked, were the guns not "in a locked container"?

Even if you could make that case based on everyone else in the house having an LTC, you'd lose based on the argument that the guns were unsecured from guests/visitors.

The law sucks, but this guy opened himself up to prosecution by not at least securing the remaining guns.

Even if you could make that case based on everyone else in the house having an LTC, you'd lose based on the argument that the guns were unsecured from guests/visitors.

The law sucks, but this guy opened himself up to prosecution by not at least securing the remaining guns.

No, we opened him up to prosecution by allowing asshat politicians to enact stifling laws in our name. Then we hired armed guards to catch bad guys, and did nothing as they made us the bad guys.

#1 lesson : The Police are not your friends , nor are they there to protect & serve. They are there to clean up messes, make arrests and keep the people submissive & compliant.

#2 lesson : Know the laws. and be compliant with them if you invite the police into your house.

Technically, if the house was locked, were the guns not "in a locked container"?

No, not according to Commonwealth v. Stephen Parzick (http://masscases.com/cases/app/64/64massappct846.html), especially when you consider that the front door was found unlocked when he returned home.

He should have locked up the remaining firearms, that was the dumb part knowing the law.

It doesn't surprise me that there's someone in Mass. who doesn't fully grasp all 180 plus pages of gun laws currently on the books, or how the courts have interpreted those laws. One more reason to support HR 2259 (http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ANT-NOTICE-for-all-gunowners-House-Bill-H2259).

In (almost) any other state the man would be considered a victim of a crime, but here they consider you just as bad as the person that stole the gun. [rolleyes] Welcome to MA.

-Mike

In (almost) any other state the man would be considered a victim of a crime, but here they consider you just as bad as the person that stole the gun. [rolleyes] Welcome to MA.

-Mike

And worse, he called to report guns stolen, so they showed up and took even more of his guns, off to a bonded warehouse no doubt. [thinking]

This thread makes me wonder about all of the 'new gun owners' that arose out the Obama election panic.

There must be a great many folks out there (casual gun owners) that only know enough about the law to get their LTC. They must still be woefully ignorant of the 'subtleties' of MA law that can bite them in the butt.

Add a trigger lock, the handguns still get stolen but at least you don't get charged with improper storage when the police come to investigate.
But you will still lose your license and guns since you are "unsuitable"

This is pretty staightforward. The law is the law, you have to store your guns properly (in Mass that is). Doesn't matter if you like the law or not.

Lets say you thought you locked your door, but it was not latched properly. A sudden gust of wind blows it open when you are gone. Police get your burglar alarm report. Come to investigate, find your front door wide open, and go in to look for the burglar. They see a gun sitting somewhere without a trigger lock....and it is going to be a bad day for you!

This is pretty staightforward. The law is the law, you have to store your guns properly (in Mass that is). Doesn't matter if you like the law or not.

Lets say you thought you locked your door, but it was not latched properly. A sudden gust of wind blows it open when you are gone. Police get your burglar alarm report. Come to investigate, find your front door wide open, and go in to look for the burglar. They see a gun sitting somewhere without a trigger lock....and it is going to be a bad day for you!

Agreed.

I think anyone in MA who doesn't lock up all of their guns in a good safe is taking a big risk with their personal security and gun rights.

Even in your scenario, if the cops found trigger locks on the guns, I would bet you'd still be found 'unsuitable' for putting a trigger locked gun in a spot that could be easily stolen.

As we all know, the trigger locks are intended to prevent unauthorized access (ex. children, family members without LTC). They're not intended to prevent or impede theft.

I know the law doesn't require storage in a safe, it's just the best way to protect your guns and your LTC.

-Mike

No wonder there is a mass exodus out of the state every Friday! You guys are suffocating under BS laws. If I didn't read this crap I'd never believe it could happen.

You have got to be kidding me. This, right here, is the very definition of a Bad Law! Don't make me dig up examples of people whom we now consider HEROS, who purposely and willfully disregarded bad laws. I freakin' hate this "The law is the law, therefor we must blindly follow it" crap. You are a thinking, breathing, eating, crapping, and (hopefully) loving human being. Use your faculties of critical thought, JUDGE things, take a stand, make a friend, make an enemy, and for the love of all that is holy PARTICIPATE. Just sitting back and espousing "The law is the law" reminds me of one thing:

633564940352646100-sheeple.jpg

You have got to be kidding me. This, right here, is the very definition of a Bad Law! Don't make me dig up examples of people whom we now consider HEROS, who purposely and willfully disregarded bad laws. I freakin' hate this "The law is the law, therefor we must blindly follow it" crap. You are a thinking, breathing, eating, crapping, and (hopefully) loving human being. Use your faculties of critical thought, JUDGE things, take a stand, make a friend, make an enemy, and for the love of all that is holy PARTICIPATE. Just sitting back and espousing "The law is the law" reminds me of one thing:

633564940352646100-sheeple.jpg

I agree that the law is the law, but only for now. While the law is on the books, follow it so you don't give the liberal SOBs an excuse. But work to get that law changed.....don't just lie down and take it!

Once again, this is what happens when you talk to the cops without a lawyer. If he's lucky he hasn't made any statements about trigger locks, which, after all could have been on and he would be fine under the law.

Back
Top Bottom