OFFICIAL: NES BULLET CASTING SEMINAR

We'll make sure there's a 311 mold there, even if we have to temporarily "beagle" my 308 mold. They usually drop .309+ so it shouldn't be hard to bump it up a few thou. I have plenty of the tape on hand if we screw up the first try.

Glad you can make it, BillNed.

Another newbie question - I have a couple of old dirty molds and a couple of new ones and all need to be cleaned. Will Acetone work?

Depends what you need to get off of them. It won't get smeared lead off. It will probably get most of the oil off. Feel free to bring them. When one of my old oily molds needs cleaning I usually just cast with it till the oil burns off and I get 5-10 bad pours that need to get thrown back into the pot before the bullets aren't contaminated anymore. It takes a minute or two but no more than you'd spend scrubbing it and the lead can go right back in the pot.

Definitely bring the old moulds. They could be junk they could be gold. Some of the older Lyman's and such are highly sought after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple days away guys!

Don't forget
Safety glasses
Leather gloves
Face shields if you have one
20# lead
Notebooks are not needed but highly recommended.
$10 for lunch

Lunch is pulled pork sandwiches and potato salad.
I'll have coffee and donuts in the morning.

Well they let me come home. Just a little scare they were saying I was having to stay but that changed I am still on for tomorrow. My son in law is helping me load but I will need help unloading if that's OK.

Last edited:
WW-Examples.jpg I am bringing this wheel weight chart printed for all an a few more hand outs. My lead hardness tester, press and bench and bullets to use for practice, A bathroom scale. extra eye wear. lead clean up and 20lbs of lead 10 pure lead, 10 Pure Linotype and some tin. A few other odds and ends. If there is anything else let me know. I just live about 10 mins. away from asp

We're looking good for tomorrow. Thanks all for anything you have contributed. Yes, we really lucked out with the weather. Mike and I just finished doing most of the set up. Should be good to go. Don't be afraid of showing up early, either.

For those still sourcing out gear......
Spoons,laddles and such.
I found some large spoons both solid and slotted at job lot 2$ each
Used resteraunt equipment stores , check them out. Picked up some really heavy duty muffins pans of assorted sized cheap....I bought 2 standard 12 cub muffin pans and 2 cast pans for 10$
Yard sales are a good source of stuff if you come across a sale of older stuff and see candle holders ask if they have any used candles....I scored some nice bees wax candles really cheap last year.
If your out poking around for gear keep your eye open for pewter.....

Thanks again to Mike and Anthony for putting this together. The weather was perfect, lunch was delicious, and meeting new people was wonderful. Thank you to everyone who showed up and/or contributed to this seminar.

Huge thanks goes out to Mike and Anthony! I got to meet a ton of cool people, learned a lot and bought some of my first casting gear today. Now I gotta find someone with a reloading bench in my area.

Thanks Anthony and Mike I had a great time and met some great people Today. I wish I were in a little better health and was able to help more. EvilDragon if you ever want to make the drive. I am always here. IMG_20141206_194429_324.jpg IMG_20141004_155937_304.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony and Mike I had a great time and met some great people Today. I wish I were in a little better health and was able to help more. EvilDragon if you ever want to make the drive. I am always here.View attachment 147255

Now that's a reloading set up! Nice to see your not one of those neat freaks! They make me nervous.

I'm glad to see people get together and have fun with this stuff.
Reading through you guys had a good amount of lead on hand.
So I hope everyone went home with some in ignot or bullet form.

Last edited:
Now that's a reloading set up! Nice to see your not one of those neat freaks! They make me nervous.

I'm glad to see people get together and have fun with this stuff.
Reading through you guys had a good amount of lead on hand.
So I hope everyone went home with some in ignot or bullet form.

mac I do clean it up but the mess up ferries keep sneaking in and screwing it up. I even tried the Police tape to keep them out but it didn't work!!!!![rolleyes]

Thanks all for participating - I hope you found it worthwhile. If there were any unanswered questions or continuation of a topic we discussed, please don't hesitate to post, pm, etc. If we don't know the answer we can at least point you in the right direction. I feel bad- teaching is not my strong suit. It's comes out more like a regurgitation of learned facts.

If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms please let Mike & I know. I'm considering trying to make this an annual thing.

Thanks Anthony and Mike I had a great time and met some great people Today. I wish I were in a little better health and was able to help more. EvilDragon if you ever want to make the drive. I am always here.View attachment 147255 View attachment 147256

Bill a HUGE thanks to you.
Your print outs were perfect for the new guys. It was awesome to have another experienced guy there to help cover the topics and keep us on track.

Thank you to Anthony for hosting the event and giving us a great place to meet and some great smoked pork shoulder.

Thank you very very much to all of the guys that showed up to the event. I'm glad you all jumped in. Bullet casting is fun and very rewarding. It will let you shoot for pretty damn close to free.
I'm always here for info if you need it. Shoot me a pm or post a thread and I'll help out as much as possible. We have some gurus on here that know way more than I do that can answer question too I'm sure.

Thanks again to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom