• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OFFICIAL: NES BULLET CASTING SEMINAR

asp

NES Member
OFFICIAL: NES BULLET CASTING SEMINAR

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Exact address/directions to be provided via PM one week before the seminar

Door Prizes
Lee Production Pot IV
Update 9/21: QTY 4 Lee .358 RNTL 158 gr 2 cavity molds
Donated by Shooting Supply, 848 State Rd #1, Westport, MA 02790 (774) 319-5477, Thank you Mark!

7oz Powder Bayou Bullets Coating kits, 1 ea 1035 Gold, Candy Apple Red, http://www.bayoubullets.net/ Thank you!

Sprue tappers courtesy of DukeinFlorida, Thanks Duke!
Available for sale here

Donation to be evenly distributed
Lead - Thank you Mac1911 for the bucket of ingots and wheel weights!

Required equipment for participation
Safety glasses or face shield
Work gloves
Close-toed Shoes/boots

Do not count on there being extra safety gear for you to borrow. There are several places within a 10 minute drive if you need to stop en route.

Wear clothes you wouldn't mind getting dirty. This is molten lead, after all.

BRING LEAD
All attendees are obligated to bring 20 pounds of raw wheel weights or range lead to the event. You'll get to take most of your lead home with you either in ingot or bullet form; some is lost to dross. It is recommended to buy whatever is cheap and to stop in at all your local mom-n-pop car repair shops and ask for wheel weights. Get as much as you can. If we don't smelt it in the seminar you can always smelt it yourself.

Most scrap yards will sell material back by the pound. If you can't get lead free/cheap, local sources are:
A&E Metals, 449 American Legion Hwy, Westport, MA 02790, (774) 264-9222 (Open 8-12 on Saturdays)
Mid City Scrap 548 State Rd, Westport, MA 02790, (774) 319-5420 (Open 7-12 on Saturdays)

Recommended to bring
Folding Chair
Print out of course materials (will be provided in PDF form as an attachment to this post)
note taking materials/ clip board
Barrels, cylinders, and/or guns that you want to shoot cast boolits in**
Long pants & sleeves

**please provide a heads up on this so we can have the appropriate sizes ready

Schedule
8:30 - 9:00 - Arrival and Set Up of Equipment for organizers
9:00 - 9:30 - Arrival and Registration for workshop participants - Please try to be on time.
10:00 - Workshop begins
10:30 - 12:00 - First round of mini workshops - see below for explanation
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch $10 or BYO (TBD - but it looks like we're going to have a local meat shack provide smoked meat & sides)
1:00 - 2:30 - Second Round of mini workshops
2:30 - 4:00 - Third and last round of mini-workshops
4:00 - Wrap Up and departure (to Shooting Supply if you want to)

Shooting Supply is less than 10 minutes away and primarily stocks reloading and casting supplies while also being a full service FFL and donating to this event. Get the tools while all the info is fresh in your head!

Seminar Topics
Molten Lead Safety
Casting Terminology
Alloys, Hardness, and Uses
Fluxing
Smelting
Mold Preparation
Casting Techniques
Boolit to Gun Fit
Lubing & Sizing & Gas Checks - Tools & Techniques
Common Problems and Solutions
Further Study: Paper Patching, list of resources
And more

Each participant will get to participate in each of the above class topics but not necessarily in order. The groups will be assigned after registration. You will get a chance to cover each subject with the group leader in a more one on one and hands on way. Example: you might do session B first (in round 1) and then session A second (in round 2), and then session C last (in round three).

Yard Sale/Swap Meet: Feel free to bring any casting related supplies to buy/sell/trade. This is your one reminder that all local laws will be followed and there is a zero tolerance policy for violation of those laws. You will be told to leave if found in violation of the law.

I hope this goes without saying, but just in case... No alcohol of any kind during the seminar.

Instructors: (3)
Michael Spangler
asp
1919FAN

Attendance Cap: 24
Attendees: 15 (9 seats left)

[STRIKE=undefined]warwickben[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE=undefined]DrBurnsides[/STRIKE]
Knob Creek .
[STRIKE=undefined]familyman15[/STRIKE]
Shootfirst
[STRIKE=undefined]J.A.C[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE=undefined]yogi [/STRIKE]
[STRIKE=undefined]Flywheel[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE=undefined]01SVTvert[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE=undefined]namedpipes[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE=undefined]Bill Katt[/STRIKE]
Hardwired .
[STRIKE=undefined]MadatMarek[/STRIKE]
Fireescape
[STRIKE=undefined]BillNed[/STRIKE]
drewh14 .
Boomer76 .
Mike Pacheco .
Reeg .
vette59 .
Feral .
Bob Tardy .
Mike68 .
[STRIKE=undefined]Fixxah[/STRIKE]
MaverickNH .
EvilDragon .

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Items still needed to borrow for the day:
beat up bathroom scale (not the nice glass digital one, the old analog one sitting in your basement)
a few folding tables you don't mind getting dirty

If you can bring any of the above, please send me a PM

UPDATE 8/7:
1919FAN will be our third instructor, thanks Shawn!

Attendees: Let us know what caliber you are most interested in casting so we have enough molds ready. The intent here is to send everyone home with bullets they can shoot. We recommend to pick a caliber that is cast-bullet friendly. Some suggestions: 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 45-70... The theme here is older calibers. 9mm and .40 S&W are doable but not recommended as a first choice. If you have something in mind and aren't sure about it, don't hesitate to ask.

Recommended Thermometer: http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-gre...ter-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

Last edited:
I have a 6' folding table I can bring.
Can we bolt or clamp the sizers down in the garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still deciding if I can make it or not, in any case, if anyone needs lead and cannot get scrap (my tire guy ROFL'ed - in a nice way.. - when I asked him if he has any left, and I'm not driving 20+20 miles to Framingham- the nearest scrap yard).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-50-lb...ets-Sinkers-/121715191230?hash=item1c56ca6dbe

50lbs, with free shipping. It's a fair price AFAIK. Lighter weights (20lbs etc) are also available. But, I'm not sure you get free shipping then.

Last edited:
I'd like to join. I have most of my own equipment and molds. Probably will start with .54 round ball in pure lead, then move to .38-55 and .40-65 Ron Long (Lyman 410663) in 20:1 lead/tin.

Mr Gold, good call about the Ebay lead. I completely forgot about that option. The nice thing about most Ebay lead is that it's already smelted.

Reeg, you're in. Sounds like you've got some pretty awesome guns, too!

Looking forward to this!

BRING LEAD
All attendees are obligated to bring 20 pounds of raw wheel weights or range lead to the event. You'll get to take most of your lead home with you either in ingot or bullet form; some is lost to dross. It is recommended to buy whatever is cheap and to stop in at all your local mom-n-pop car repair shops and ask for wheel weights. Get as much as you can. If we don't smelt it in the seminar you can always smelt it yourself.

What's the plan with the attendee lead? Seems like alot a boolits...

Is it alright to bring scrapyard lead or "ebay" ingots? I ask because of some of the reading I did on contamination and casting problems got me concerned. I'm sure I am getting ahead of myself but how does the home caster ensure the lead alloy is free of contaminants.

Looking forward to this!

What's the plan with the attendee lead? Seems like alot a boolits...

Is it alright to bring scrapyard lead or "ebay" ingots? I ask because of some of the reading I did on contamination and casting problems got me concerned. I'm sure I am getting ahead of myself but how does the home caster ensure the lead alloy is free of contaminants.

Glad to hear it, we are too!

The lead that everyone brings is so that Mike, Shawn, and I don't deplete our own stockpiles. Lead in need of smelting will be smelted, some will get cast, a lot of it is going to get mixed up. You won't necessarily be bringing home your lead, but you'll be bringing home 90-95% of what you came with by weight. Some is lost to dross.

Yes, any lead you can get is fine even if you're not sure exactly what alloy it is. Like Shawn said, there are a few processes that we use to remove impurities but without fancy scanning equipment it's impossible to have hard confirmation.

I think we're going to have a good mix between what everyone brings. Some might bring range scrap, some might bring lino. Between our stashes and what's coming we should be able to come up with some decent alloy or at the least we can smelt and keep the pure separate from the WW stuff and send people home with a mix of ingots so they can alloy it themselves in their smelting pot.

Update: Changed the class size to 24 but removed the instructors from attendance list. This opened up 2 spots and will allow us to have 3 groups of 8 participants. Added Feral to the list. Still 2 seats open.

If the class fills up but you want in let me know and I'll start a wait list. You never know who's going to back out last minute.

Thanks for having this event...plan on casting for a ruger old army

Perfect. I have a lyman 451 bullet mould that drop a little bigger than that. It might work out ok. You might need a little more diameter to get a snug fit and a nice lead shaving when seating the ball.
Shooting supply has a bunch of Lee moulds on hand.

I have a 200 grain 454 diameter hollow point made for the 45 ACP. I wonder how well that would work for you. Are the old army's set up with he right twist for a conical?

A local NES member just donated a beautiful Lyman 452460 mould to the door prizes. This is great 200 grain SWC bullet.

Looking for a gas checked bullet to use in a 7.7 arisaka. Anyone have a mold in .312 possibly?

I have a bunch of ww which I would love to be able to smelt down to ingots.

I have a lyman 314299 200gn bullet mold. I size them to 312 for my 303 and Arsaka. As cast at 314 for the mosin 91/30

Smelting wheel weights is easy. I started with a small Coleman burner and a small cast iron pot. Slow process @ that level but works.

452460 is an awesome bullet!

I have a .310 that we could make to produce a bigger dia bullet but it would be better to find something more applicable. I'm sure 1919 fan has a mold or 20 that would fit the bill.

I think we're going to have a good mix between what everyone brings. Some might bring range scrap, some might bring lino. Between our stashes and what's coming we should be able to come up with some decent alloy or at the least we can smelt and keep the pure separate from the WW stuff and send people home with a mix of ingots so they can alloy it themselves in their smelting pot.

This is,probably ideal ......no need to waste alloy unless you know your needs. Straight wheel weights cover a lot of ground.

I'm also curious to see the final yield of useful lead from the wheel weight donation I weighed the bucket at 78lbs on bathroom scale.

Perfect. I have a lyman 451 bullet mould that drop a little bigger than that. It might work out ok. You might need a little more diameter to get a snug fit and a nice lead shaving when seating the ball.
Shooting supply has a bunch of Lee moulds on hand.

I have a 200 grain 454 diameter hollow point made for the 45 ACP. I wonder how well that would work for you. Are the old army's set up with he right twist for a conical?

Instruction manual says use .457" diameter round ball or .454" conical bullet of pure lead.
Barrel length: 7 1/2 inches, 6 groove, 1-16 inch twist.

Looking for a gas checked bullet to use in a 7.7 arisaka. Anyone have a mold in .312 possibly?

I have a bunch of ww which I would love to be able to smelt down to ingots.
I would bet me 311365 would drop big enough to work for you.

Instruction manual says use .457" diameter round ball or .454" conical bullet of pure lead.
Barrel length: 7 1/2 inches, 6 groove, 1-16 inch twist.
I don't think the mould will drop .454 with pure lead.
Maybe 1919Fan has something handy.

[I have a Lyman 454 616 245gr. Maxi should work fine for you .QUOTE=Feral;4621594]Instruction manual says use .457" diameter round ball or .454" conical bullet of pure lead.
Barrel length: 7 1/2 inches, 6 groove, 1-16 inch twist.[/QUOTE]

Looking around I think I will need a 314 mold, as most of the info online points to that diameter as working.

Do you have an 000 buckshot loads hanging around?
If so cut one open and then lube up a ball and use a wood dowel and a mallet to smash it though the bore. When it comes out the other end you can measure the diameter and see what your rifle needs.
You might be able to use something smaller, you might need something bigger. Thats a good test to help figure it out.

My 311365 end sup at about .314 when cast from COWW and coated with the hi-tek lube (it barely adds any diameter)

On a side note when I was casting today I realized that I always use a metal #10 industrial food can for my sprue. It works well, wide opening, can handle water if you want to water drop and can sure handle the heat. If everyone is interested I can score a shit ton of these from my customers and bring one for everyone that attends??

Michael I am still planning on going (sent you a PM) what do you need from me. I already said about the lead tester and other things. I will be coming more to help out than to learn casting. I have been doing it for a while. If you need anything like a Media Projector screen or anything please contact me.

Last edited:
BillNed, That would be a fantastic cheat sheet. We could probably also use another casting pot w/ thermometer for the day if you have one available. Maybe a junky bathroom scale too?

OK I have a scale I can bring. I am still bringing lead and Lino. I have a pot and my electronic Thremo. I may have some spare safety Glasses just in case. The lead tester with press and stand and my molds. and whatever I can think that will help. If you think of anything else let me know. Oh and the Lead clean up too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom