OFFICIAL: NES BULLET CASTING SEMINAR

I have a lot of SCUBA weights I'm not planning to use - will those work for lead? Some shot in pouches and some solid.

The shot might be some old bird shot.
Bigger the size bird shot the more antimony from what I recall. Antimony ups the surface tension and helps the shot stay in a ball while liquid.
It usually contains trace amounts of arsenic which is awesome for hardening bullets.

It's great to use for mixing up alloy. If you don't have COWW then the shot is a great addition to get antimony and arsenic. Tin is easy to find too. Then you're prepared for anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how I was added to the attendees list but definitely can't make it. I can however donate ww if someone wants to pick them up.

Norwood area.

Sorry about that... I swore I had a post from the other thread saying you were interested. Are there any other attendees coming from the Norwood area that would want to grab the lead that Fixxah is so nicely offering up? (I don't want to volunteer anyone, but how about you, EvilDragon?)

PMs sent for final attendee list.
DREW14 your'e PM box is full. Please shoot me a PM when it's cleared and I'll forward the info. Thank you!

I'm hoping to fire up my own pot - will there be enough juice to host an extra pot? I'll bring my own extension cord j.i.c.

There will be enough juice even if we need to fire up the generator or run a long extension cord to get to other circuits. The hot lead coming out of the smelting pot(s?) is what will be feeding the casting pots for the most part so they shouldn't have to work quite as hard. If you have a thermometer please bring it.

I also want to keep one of our smelting burners running with a pot of alloy so guys can try to ladle cast too. Should keep down on the number of pots we have to run off of electricity. Maybe keep 3 running and the burner with a couple ladles hanging out of it.

I also want to keep one of our smelting burners running with a pot of alloy so guys can try to ladle cast too. Should keep down on the number of pots we have to run off of electricity. Maybe keep 3 running and the burner with a couple ladles hanging out of it.

How are you warming the molds for the ladling? Hot plate? Curious.

I'm probably just going to put them on the burner frame close enough to the flame to warm them up.

UPDATES.
ASP please add this to the door prizes.

Shooting Supply has once again generously donated more items.

He has donated 4 lee 2 cavity moulds. I believe they're all the same. The very popular .358" 158 RNTL design.

These will be used to cast with for the seminar and at the end of the day we can use them as door prizes.

I have a similar mould for 9mm and they work great. Being a tumble lube design really gets the lucky owners into casting very easily.
No need to size the bullets
Tumble lube is cheap and easy
Add a casting furnace or a propane stove an old stainless or cast iron pot and a ladle and you're in business.

Cast the bullets. Tumble lube. Load.

Thank you shooting supply again for all of the support.

Several spots have opened up. Don't hesitate to ask if you've been holding back because we were near the attendance cap.

That works fine, or a perforated spoon. Spaghetti "fork" really anything with some slots to let the lead drip through when you're picking out the clips and whatnot.
I use a big ol spoon I got from a restaurant supply store. It didn't have holes in it but I have a nice metal punch with 18" long handles with interchangeable dies. That punched clean through in no time and made it perforated. Works great.

Confirming that I'm coming. Fixxah generously donated 80 lbs of lead pipe and I will be bringing 30 lbs of ingots off EBay. Once I slug the barrel on the M39, I'd like to cast either .308 or .311 180-grain range bullets.

I am again going to show up after talking to ASP. They have remove the Machinery that I was hooked up to. I probably have to leave early but not sure depends on how I feel I will try to bring what I can lift.

Back
Top Bottom