• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Off To Afganistan in May

Well I get the call day before Christmas eve. That I am getting deployed again!!! This time to Afganistan. I was hoping to dodge the bullet till I hit my retirement, but I guess uncle Sam wanted to get every last moneys worth out of me. From what my orders say and the info I recieved I am going to be part of a Embedded training team to train the Afgan military. That should be real fun [wink]. Well at least I beleive in the cause in Afganistan more then Iraq. So thats a plus. Just leaving the family behind and putting my life on hold one last time kinda sucks.

Well I get the call day before Christmas eve. That I am getting deployed again!!! This time to Afganistan. I was hoping to dodge the bullet till I hit my retirement, but I guess uncle Sam wanted to get every last moneys worth out of me. From what my orders say and the info I recieved I am going to be part of a Embedded training team to train the Afgan military. That should be real fun [wink]. Well at least I beleive in the cause in Afganistan more then Iraq. So thats a plus. Just leaving the family behind and putting my life on hold one last time kinda sucks.

Thanks for what you do. And, good luck training those guys. I saw a piece on 60 Minutes a couple months ago in which a group of Afghan soldiers were doing PT. They looked like 10 year old girls in gym class. Most of them couldn't do a push up correctly.

Good luck & gospeed. My old unit is headed there in June. It is arguably a better tour than in Iraq-a little more action, which also means more danger. Just be safe! Being that close to retirement, thats a rough deployment. Best of luck to you.

Not sure what your MOS is, or what exactly you will be doing, but if you need gear, I know of a few forums I belong to where people rotate gear out between going overseas, and coming back. Let me know, and I can point you in the right direction.
Keep your power dry.
Bill

Thanks and good luck...and like my grandfather said to me before my two tours..."if your in a fire fight...and gotta stick somethin in the air, make sure its your ass and not your head...better to get your ass blown off rather then your head"...Hes an old war vet himself....just thought I would throw some humor in there for ya...but in all seriousness, stay safe and you have everyones prayers for a safe return....

Make sure you get your mailing address to MrsWildweasel, our unofficial soldier support coordinator.

Thanks for your service and come back safe!

Get a LEAF account with Arc'Teryx. They have some of the best cold weather gear, you will be glad you did.

Thanks for all the kind words and best wishes. I have all the tac gear I need etc. Still have everything from when I went to Iraq. I know someone asked what my MOS was. And MRSWILDweasel asked about my unit. Ok here is a little back ground on me. I began my carrer as active duty Navy (Gunners Mate). Completed 10 years with the Navy, then got out and tried my luck as a civilian. But was not ready to give up military life all together. So I went into the Army Guard, wanted to try something new. Enlisted into a Field artillary unit as a 13 B then went 13 D. Then we got deployed to Iraq so they trained us up as MP's and sent us over. Came home to a hell storm, alot of bad stuff went on end result my girl passed away from a stroke and I was left a single parent, of two young boys. I was in no posision to get deployed any time soon. So my enlistment was up. And I went and talked to the Navy recruiter about what they had for me. I joined up in a Naval security force unit, as a Gunners Mate again. I was told since I had been deployed already I would safe fo 5 years. Well 5 years has come, my life is stable and things are going well, maybe to well, lol. So I got the call, and they want me to go to Afganistan with the Army. So I am not going with a unit of people I know. I will show up to FT Polk get my training then see where it takes me. I am pretty much filling in a slot for the Army I guess. So I am kinda flying blind as for what I am really going to be doing just know its a ETT mission. Anyone know where I can get a good lap top for cheap money?

my cousin just went over he 23 years old from east bridgewater ma , thank you for your dedication and service,, be safe!!

Watch your six and maintain SA at all times!

My nephew is at FOB Wilson now. C Co., TF1-12 Kandahar is reportedly almost civilized, the FOBs a lot less so. Munchies are always desired, as are books, magazines and Crystal Light drink supplement.

Be safe - and thank you for your continuing service.

Jack
USAF: 1962 - 1966

Back
Top Bottom