• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Odd rumors about safe storage

I believe there was prior to Ch 180 of the 1998 laws.
There was a creative, but generally accepted by the courts, that leaving a handgun in a motor vehicle was "carrying one in a motor vehicle while not directly under your control" - though it's hard to see how you can carry a gun when you aren't there. Ch 180/1998 states that a gun left in a motor vehicle must be unloaded and securely stored, and the EOPS web site states that a locked trunk is secure storage.

That is what i did here in Carver. No charge! Bring a copy of the CMR with you because they probably won't know what you are talking about.

While doing research a few years ago for the following presentation:

Code of Massachusetts Regulations 527 CMR 13.04 Licenses, Permits and Certificates A presentation for the THE FIRE PREVENTION ASSOCIATION OF MASSACHUSETTS, INC. By Gun Owners’ Action League and The GOAL Foundation

GOAL found that that many fire departments aren't familiar with the provisions of 527 CMR 13.04 and permit fees are all over the board.

During my "secret shopper" phase, I got these results:

Town #1: “Black Powder” permit $10 annually
Town #2: “Call back in 2 weeks, The chief is on vacation”
Town #3: Calling me back
Town #4: $50 valid indefinitely
Town #5: $10 annually
Town #6: $25 valid 4-5 years
Town #7: $10 valid 2 years

Keep in mind that:

Towns may set fee
No more than $50.00
Does not state how long permit is good for
May make inspections
May be revoked for cause

Chapter 148: Section 10A. Heads of fire departments; permits; inspections; records; fees; list of fire department heads
Section 10A. The head of the fire department in each city, town or fire district shall grant, in accordance with the rules and regulations of the board, such permits for use in such city, town or fire district as may be required by such rules and regulations, and make such inspections therein, and have and exercise such powers and duties in connection therewith, as the marshal may direct. The head of the fire department shall keep a record of every permit so issued, and shall furnish the marshal with such information in respect to such permits as he may require. A fee of $25, unless otherwise set in a town by the board of selectmen or town council, and in a city by the mayor, may be charged by the head of the fire department for any permit granted under authority of this section, and any such permit may be revoked for cause by him or by the marshal, but in no event shall any such fee be greater than $50.
The clerk of each city and town shall annually, not later than April first, transmit to the marshal in writing the name and official address of the head of the fire department in his city or town, or in the fire district or districts in which his town is located or which is or are established within his town.

I did have an advantage. I am a call firefighter in town and the chief is a friend of mine. As far as Carver is concerned the past and current chief's position is your taxes pay for every employee and all the supplies there so why should he charge you again. They do not charge for any permit.

For $115.00 and tax it would be best to cover your butt and this doesn't look like it takes up much space. You can lag it to the wall and/or floor of your closet or secure area and then you can eat, sleep and be merry without having to worry if you'll go to jail for someone elses stupidity. And as the name says...if you need extra space you can get a stack-on cabinet to put on top.

I have a safe (not a stack-on) that runs around 400lbs when empty bolted to the wall and floor of my basement (thank you Hilti) and a small three shelf stack on container bolted to the floor (thank you again Hilti) in another part of my basement for all my ammo......I can't actually lift the cabinet when it's not bolted to the floor...by keeping it full it really limits who can walk away with it without a dolly. Just more security I guess.

Personally, unless I'm at my club I never leave a gun in the car. If I get coffee on the way I go to a drive-through and I don't plan any stops until all are back home and locked. That's just me.

Here's a link to sports authority.....you might be able to get more for the same or the same for less elsewhere but for the money it's good peace of mind.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2033187&clickid=body_rv_img

Oh, and call me paranoid, but snce the ammo cabinet is a key only lock what I do is lock the ammo cabinet key in my safe which is a combo lock where the dial is locked by a key. So, even if you get the key to my gun safe you can't get in without the combo whiich means you can't get to the guns or the ammo key. I think it's a pretty secure system and it works for me.

Last edited:
For $115.00 and tax it would be best to cover your butt and this doesn't look like it takes up much space.

In MA gun safes and other related security devices are sales tax
exempt. If someone charges you tax on a gun safe/cabinet, you
just got taken. [laugh]

-Mike

In MA gun safes and other related security devices are sales tax
exempt. If someone charges you tax on a gun safe/cabinet, you
just got taken. [laugh]

-Mike

I didn't know that. That's good info. so no tax and $115.00 for peace of mind.

Watch out, many places WILL charge you the sales tax and feign ignorance about the DOR Regulation/Law put into place in 1999 or 2000.

Some unscrupulous dealers charge tax on services (transfers) and pocket the money (tax fraud). I suspect that many of those that illegally charge tax on gun locks/gun safes do the same. DOR requests that you report any such incident to their "Tax Fraud Division" for investigation and prosecution!

Watch out, many places WILL charge you the sales tax and feign ignorance about the DOR Regulation/Law put into place in 1999 or 2000.

Some unscrupulous dealers charge tax on services (transfers) and pocket the money (tax fraud). I suspect that many of those that illegally charge tax on gun locks/gun safes do the same. DOR requests that you report any such incident to their "Tax Fraud Division" for investigation and prosecution!

Exemptions from sales tax are codified by the leglis. in statute. Merely tell the person to review MGL 64H section 6.

Also bear in mind that the individual or entity might be aware that the item is not taxable. They might not be remitting YOUR money to the Commonwealth. I would recommend making a referral to the MDOR. However, they do not have a Tax Fraud Division. Also the DA/AG handle prosecutions, so I would recommend making a referral there.

Bill

Bill, I did complain via the DOR "ask us a question" webform wrt the gun safe and a US Flag (that was Wal-Mart). DOR told me to call one of their offices and file a formal complaint. I chose not to do so, but it was specifically DOR and not the AG that they wanted to proceed with. They investigate before prosecuting and they do have some section that deals with tax fraud complaints.

Not sure if I quoted their Email here or not, but if I did it would be in the thread about Law Enforcement Supply. It's not worth my time/effort to dig it out of my Email archives to prove a point.

Bill, I did complain via the DOR "ask us a question" webform wrt the gun safe and a US Flag (that was Wal-Mart). DOR told me to call one of their offices and file a formal complaint. I chose not to do so, but it was specifically DOR and not the AG that they wanted to proceed with. They investigate before prosecuting and they do have some section that deals with tax fraud complaints.

Not sure if I quoted their Email here or not, but if I did it would be in the thread about Law Enforcement Supply. It's not worth my time/effort to dig it out of my Email archives to prove a point.

Its certainly a DOR issue and not AG.

For the thread, I dont have a larger safe with means to store my ammo. So I'm using toolboxes.

It's called walk out. If they are trying to screw, regardless of if they know the law or not, don't give them money.

I went to a Walmart in Salem, NH and went to buy ammo. After he rang it up someone asked if he asked for my ID. He asked for my drivers license. I showed it to him. He then said he would need to see my MA LTC license. I pulled it out and waved it saying, "this license doesn't mean anything in this state" and put it back in my wallet. He said he couldn't sell me the ammo if I didn't show it to him. I said "Fine, the Walmart in Derry never has asked for an ID that isn't valid in this state," and left. I'm sure the guy was pissed that he had to void the sale and put the ammo back.

Back
Top Bottom