• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Obtaining A Gun LTC With A Juvie Record A&B Charge Against The Police ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to obtain an LTC in MA. I have a juvie record when I was 15 though. First I was charged with A&B for fighting in school. I was found delinquent at trial. The judge sentenced me to 1 year probation. 3 months later when I was 15 I was arrested for Resisting Arrest and A&B against a police officer. The officer stated that I beat him down and he was fearful. The police lied because they knew I was on probation and they needed charges to stick so I can go to DYS for violation of probation. As a result I took a plea deal which was CWOF and concurrent probation. I have since completed my probation and never been in any trouble ever. However when I get pulled over by the police they harrass me about the A&B on a cop charge when I was 15 bc they said I beat a police officer down. My juvie record appears in their databases and it follows me. Im 22 now and would like an LTC but I think they will discriminate against me bc the A&B charge against them. Can I obtain an LTC ?

Last edited:
you only gave folks four minutes to look at your thread and possibly respond.

if i were you, i would be more patient-- [grin]

what town are you applying in?

Regardless of the town, my guess would be no, you will not get it. A&B on a police officer is a tough thing to get another police officer to overlook.

Why not ? I was 15 at the time of arrest and charged as a juvie not an adult. I never A&B against a police. How can a 15 year old beat down a cop ? The cop wanted to get some charges to stick against me bc he wanted me to go to DYS.

it is tough in mass to get one even with a clean record... you can try, but i would talk to a lawyer if i were you.

what town?

yeah you've dug your own grave! once the police chief sees that, hes gone say yeah right not in my town. that honestly is one of the worst things to have on your record.

To them if you have allready done it twice, what stops you from doing it again but now possibly with a gun. you have to look at it thru thier eyes. i would hate to be in your situation.

and not to mention the city of Boston is the worst place in the state to be trying to get an LTC. lawyer up! is the only way im pretty sure.

Last edited:
Why not ? I was 15 at the time of arrest and charged as a juvie not an adult. I never A&B against a police. How can a 15 year old beat down a cop ? The cop wanted to get some charges to stick against me bc he wanted me to go to DYS.

LTC's are discretionary in Mass., meaning they don't have to issue it to you if they don't want to. FID's are shall issue (if you're not legally prohibited they have to give it to you), so you can always stick with low-capacity rifles and shotguns.

If they turn you down, you can fight it in court, but it depends on how much money you have.

Why is that ? I took a CWOF for Resisting and A&B against the police I was 15. I dont have any other record. This happened in Boston, but I now live in Quincy thats where I have to go to apply right ?

Im 22 and this is over 7 years ago. And you mean to tell me I cant get an LTC bc the police will discriminate about my juvie record ? Why is my juvie record in the databases I thought they suppose to get rid of that ? Everytime I get pulled over the police send the K9 unit bc they feel fearful.

Im 22 and this is over 7 years ago. And you mean to tell me I cant get an LTC bc the police will discriminate about my juvie record ? Why is my juvie record in the databases I thought they suppose to get rid of that ? Everytime I get pulled over the police send the K9 unit bc they feel fearful.

[popcorn] [coffee]

Pulled over once a year. But I never been in any trouble since or any charges as a adult.
Don't bother trying to rationalize it with us - we are not the ones you need to convince...

What you will find if you do enough reading here is that even without a nasty like ABPO on your record, there are various towns that either issue only restricted or will not issue at all unless you can show some employment reason.

So, with the ABPO, you are in a "do not pass go" without a lawyer situation. I would presume even with the lawyer, you are running uphill and will need a ream of character references and will still be fortunate to get a restricted license...

It sucks, you may very well have screwed up as a kid and learned from it, but as much as that sucks, so does the law and practice of it here in MA...

I'd read up on "guide to gun rights in your town" around here and found out what you are starting with in Quincy and then start looking for lawyers...

If you have any chance at all, you're gonna need a competent MA firearms lawyer for this sort of thing.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin showthread.php?t=19145

IMO this is gonna be a tough road to hoe, and likely expensive.

My first instinct says "you're screwed". A good lawyer however may be able to put you on a course of action where there's a snowballs chance in
hell of you getting an LTC. My guess is that no IA is going to license you in this state, unless you can provide a compelling case that you're not the same person that "beat up a cop" when you were 15.

You may be in a position where the only thing that is going to be viable is an FID for now (which is basically shall issue) assuming of course you're not legally disqualified for that, either.

-Mike

Why is that ?

Here's why:

Your LTC application is approved or declined by the Chief of police in the town you live in. This fellow has extradinoary "Powers Of Discretion" meaning they can either accept the state laws OR they may exercise these "Powers Of Discretion" and have an applicant jump through all sorts of hoops like having additional letters of reference, a letter from your doctor, downgrade your LTC "A" to a "B" or even an FID card. Or they may simply choose to disregard state law and deny all but the most well connected of their 2A rights, effectivly disarming the subjects of the state.

You want to own firearms lawfully ? Move to another state with minimal firearms laws, like Vermont or Alaska.

Or you could hire one of the lawyers who specialize in firearms laws and drop serious $$ on what amounts to a roll of the dice.

Movin's cheaper and less stressful. [sad]

Not being scarcastic, just realistic.

Best wishes. [smile]

holy crap.

i'll bite anyway

if you live in Quincy, why are you applying in Boston?

for your question:
i think CSG nailed it - go for an FID first... then try to upgrade after a couple years.

if you get the FID, lay low, "prove yourself" worthy of your right (i think), you might show you are a better person now vs. then.

based on your posts, you seem to still be immature... -just my e-pinion though

what do you do for a living? do you have any responsibilities? do you work? ect. ect.

Here's why:

Your LTC application is approved or declined by the Chief of police in the town you live in. This fellow has extradinoary "Powers Of Discretion" meaning they can either accept the state laws OR they may exercise these "Powers Of Discretion" and have an applicant jump through all sorts of hoops like having additional letters of reference, a letter from your doctor, downgrade your LTC "A" to a "B" or even an FID card. Or they may simply choose to disregard state law and deny all but the most well connected of their 2A rights, effectivly disarming the subjects of the state.

You want to own firearms lawfully ? Move to another state with minimal firearms laws, like Vermont or Alaska.

Or you could hire one of the lawyers who specialize in firearms laws and drop serious $$ on what amounts to a roll of the dice.

Movin's cheaper and less stressful. [sad]

Not being scarcastic, just realistic.

Best wishes. [smile]

There you go kid. Everything else is just shootin the sh@t from here on in. Mr. Twigg has laid it out honestly and in a straightforward fashion and you won't get a better answer without paying for a Lawyer which, if you cannot move out of state, is your only other viable option.

bad doo doo

Its hitting the cop thing thats gonna stick in the issuing authorities
throat. for the officer who takes your app, and then of course the chief.

Unfortunatley your asking them to trust you with gun.....

as others have mentioned a lawyer might help, a good atty will give it
to you straight with HOW much its gonna cost, if not be sure to ask.

JimB

Don of Dons -

To calibrate your expectation, look at a couple of cases where the courts have upheld chief's discretion.

Wellesley - License holder exercises right to remain silent when questioned about a crime. (Godfrey v. Wellesley) Chief revokes license in response to this exercise of a constitutional right; court upholds decision.

Wakefield - Applicant denied renewal since "It is the policy of [the] Wakefield Police that we do not issue a license to carry a firearm to anyone who has been a defendant on a 209A order which is not an emergency order. A judge, upon hearing the evidence in your case, found cause to issue a protective order. Those facts do not change when an order expires or is not renewed." (Howard vs. Wakefield). The court upheld the chief's policy that an expired 209A, with no allegation that said 209A was violated while in effect, may be used by a chief as a lifetime disqualifier.

So, if the courts will uphold denial of an LTC for exercising of a constitutional right, or for a expired court order that was not a finding of the violation of any law, you can be pretty confident you have almost no chance of getting a court to order LTC issuance if the chief turns you down. Your ONLY chance is getting a police chief to give you a second chance, and bet his reputation on the fact that you have reformed. The good news is that this won't take thousands - get a legal consult, follow the advice to make your case, but accept the fact that bringing a license appeal action to court will almost certainly accomplish nothing except running up legal bills.

Last edited:
Not to make you feel any worse than you already do, but we have adults, as in people your parents age and older who get denied a LTC of any kind because of things they did 30 years ago.

What you do today can come back and haunt you later in life, and it doesn't matter that you have been a model citizen your whole adult life.

When a licensing authority looks at your record they are going to see a young person with a violent criminal past.

The cop deciding if you are worthy of a LTC is going to ask themselves when this applicant does something stupid, and the TV camera crews and the pushy reporter get in my face and ask why I issued a LTC to someone with a juvenile record and an assault on a L.E.O. charge who went on to ______________ (kill, wound, pull a Columbine, insert your fav gun crime here) leaving ____ victim(s) .... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING OFFICER? How could you let the alleged shooter have a gun permit with his background

you get the idea right?
Very few cops are going to put their pension on the line for you based on your admitted interaction with the cops and courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom