Obama EO against gunsmiths

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Arms Export Control Act (AECA)
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)

How does drilling/tapping for a scope classify as Arms Export or International Traffic?

Obumma took a page from Healey's book on this overreach.

So does this only apply to those in the business of gunsmithing (for profit) or anyone who owns a drill and messes with their own firearms?

Not an EO it was a clarification by the state dept,(ITAR) that said it affects gunsmiths if they do threading barrels or accurize. still a poop sandwich.

This reads pretty ominous.

A gunsmith who glass beds a rifle has (according to this EO) "manufactured" a more accurate rifle.

Monkey see - monkey do.

I just put brembo calipers on my car,

you guys can call me a race car manufacturer.[laugh]

Last edited:
Maybe the reason for the Obama - Healey meeting.

Yup. No coincidence there. Was co-ordination.

Kind of getting tired of this Exec law making and Exec law interpreting. What benefits are the people seeing?

Healy is down in Phily beating her chest that gun sales are down since her unconstitutional law making last week. For all of the talk about saving lives and shit, that appears to be the goal. People across this country need to wake the **** up and see what is happening here!

This has been a gray area since the GCA of 1968, it seems that it has now been defined. There was no clear definition and was a by the case interpretation until now. This has consequences on what seems to be most gunsmiths in the US unless they pay the fee. This move will close down those small custom builders if they can't pay and even worse the small part time gunsmith doing trigger work and basic gun work on sporting firearms.

is this a cost per gun or just an annual fee?

ITAR is an annual tax.

Modifying is not manufacturing in any industry. The gun industry is no different than automobiles. Ask Shelby and Ford how that works: This has been pretty well hashed out in the courts for other industries. There IS a legal definition of manufacturing and merely sanding someone else's barrel isn't it.

Last edited:
It's an annual tax and has been a gray area for small custom builders and small gunsmiths. Most of these small businesses did not pay the annual tax because they were not exporting or importing anything and no one in the government seemed to care unless there was some other problem. One of the big reasons for the GCA of 1968 was to shut down the importation firearms into the US and to get better control on what was being imported and exported at the time.
The cost per gun is another tax a manufacture has to deal with not this one..

Is this part of his job creation plan, I can only imagine how many this is going to put out of work. man I wish he would just FOAD.

Dean

Last edited:
Yes, which is why I asked.

If all you're looking to do is use a basement tool to fit a part that you then slide into a groove? Like using a mill file to fit a tritium sight in a dovetail?

No. Those kinds of things don't make you a "manufacturer" nor a "gunsmith."

I just wouldn't go around advertising those services for sale, of course.

Unbelievable. EOs are for the Executive branch of government only. The limitless ****ing arrogance of Democrats.

20160728_trump1.jpg

It's an annual tax and has been a gray area for small custom builders and small gunsmiths. Most of these small businesses did not pay the annual tax because they were not exporting or importing anything and no one in the government seemed to care unless there was some other problem. One of the big reasons for the GCA of 1968 was to shut down the importation firearms into the US and to get better control on what was being imported and exported at the time.
The cost per gun is another tax a manufacture has to deal with not this one..
ITAR dates from the 70s. Don't confuse the terribleness of the GCA with the terribleness of ITAR. It's only within recent years that ITAR has been applied to people not actually in the business of exporting goods.

Back
Top Bottom