• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYT Essay - A Gun Killed My Son, So Why Do I Want to Own One?

Based on my values I see no middle ground. Magazine limit? Nope. AWB ? Nope.. Fed license? Nope. UBC? Oh hell no...

What do you propose? I think the problem with progressive dreamers is they assume all atrocities have a solution - and really that can never be true in this world. Some problems can't be solved or the cure is worse than the disease.

I agree with you in that. It's an imperfect world; sometimes bad things happen, and there's just nothing we can do about that.

What do I propose? Hmmm. I agree with those that say the gun is not the problem. Most people can handle a gun safely, with a bit of training, and those people should be able to buy any firearm they want - no magazine limits, no type limits, no license or registry at either the federal or the state level. Carrying in public is a thornier question. I personally have no problem with shall-issue carry permits, but OTOH those states that have permitless carry seem to be doing all right with it.

The real problem is the relatively few people who have demonstrated they can't be trusted with a firearm -- violent criminals, the mentally incompetent, the seriously mentally ill. How do we keep guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them, without abridging the rights of everybody else? Is there a way to do that without some sort of law that says, in essence, "don't sell or give a gun to anybody who you know won't use it responsibly?" And then provides a way to check that -- like the NICS?

The comments on that article are disgusting. Paraphrasing the top liked comments:

"I'm prone to irrational outbursts. I'm human. Therefore humans are prone to irrational outbursts. That's why I'll never support anyone owning any gun, ever."
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 11.01.23 PM.png

"Well I'd rather be a sheep. But man, how dare you call me a sheep. I'll use my words and wisdom as weapons."
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 11.00.14 PM.png

"No, I don't know anything about guns, but I don't in order to tell you about yours. Gun ownership is inherently irresponsible and reckless, and therefore so are gun owners."
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.59.50 PM.png

"I'm a fudd. Guns are tools. Why anybody would view it as a symbol of freedom and not grave danger bewilders me. Just listen to this anecdotal evidence of one irresponsible gun owner I overheard."
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 11.00.03 PM.png

"Ever since Clinton's '94 ban expired we've seen skyrocketing deaths on Republican's watch. Elect Democrats to solve the problem."
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 11.01.08 PM.png

Read this today and thought it was worthy of a share:

Opinion | A Gun Killed My Son. So Why Do I Want to Own One?
A drunk killed my sister in a head-on crash on the Sonoma Highway in Santa Rosa, California back in 2007. I still have beer in my fridge. My wife still has wine in our wine cooler. We still have driver's licenses and own vehicles. My sister's killer went to prison. She and her family were sued into bankruptcy. The drunken buffoon lost everything, including her future earnings. Life goes on.

Last edited:
If someone does not know how or have the means to protect their life, liberty, family, home(castle) they do not deserve to have any of them unencumbered by the dictates of others(individuals or governments) and sooner or later someone will take them all.......most likely(as history proves) it will be the very "power hungry", "criminal", "apathetic" government they rely on and demand to protect them.

When someone swears off the tool/s that provide the best, most efficient manner to protect themself, they are already so far behind the curve that they deserve what ever bad befalls them. Liberty (all inclusive) requires eternal vigilance and the knowledge, will and means to back it up.

Props for trying to learn what I know about guns, but you came full circle and think teachers should not be armed.

I firmly believe that a course and some training for a teacher to be able to SAFELY act in the middle of a gunfight is unrealistic. Now if that teacher had a few years in the service and some combat experience, I'm all for it. Most teachers I know and have known would be piss poor in life and death situation and be more of a hazard to students and others.

I liked this pic the best from that article, click on it:

agun.jpg

Guy is permanently grieving for his son and sister, looking for answers, cant get past blaming the gun. Not faulting him for that.
Then I will.

Ten years ago (hard to believe it's been that long already), a friend's estranged wife's new boyfriend called him from outside his apartment, to come down because he had something that belonged to him. When my friend came down, the guy proceeded to blow his head off with a shotgun. (He then sped off, was later cornered by the cops and ate said shotgun.)

And, of course, in December 2012, another friend was leaving a staff meeting at her place of employ (a certain elementary school), when she heard a commotion. She had the presence of mind to duck into an empty classroom and hide herself amongst some Christmas decorations. She remained unseen, even though he actually came in the room, and thus survived it, but it will haunt her for the remainder of her days.

In neither incident were inanimate objects to blame. Criminally insane humans were. The object employed doesn't matter. I've often remarked, in the case of the latter incident, I could have inflicted as much harm - maybe more - with my Kris sword, because... who would stop me? With what?

As others have said, people have lost friends and family tragically due to causes ranging from vehicular homicide to medical malpractice. We don't stop driving or seeing the doctor when needed, and we certainly don't demand others do so, as that would quite rightfully be regarded as nuts.

Keep in mind that authors of opinion pieces and articles typically do not write the headline. The headline/title was likely written by an editor. (Re: "its in the title").

"TO BE CLEAR, there was nothing I could’ve done to save him. It’s just a fantasy that has been circling my brain in a holding pattern for decades — that somehow I could have intervened"

Did the editor write this first line, as well?

Can’t get past the title - although isn't it the bullet that killed his son or does the gun control the bullet making the bullet innocent? Or are they both at fault? It’s so confusing. I want to know which inanimate object murdered a human.

Back
Top Bottom