NYPD GLocks for rookies

Academy Sports has some of the lowest prices you'll find on guns. We have the gen 4 G17 on sale for $540. It's normal price is $570. Gen 3s are $500. That is a good price they are offering, but it is still absurd that they would have to pay for the upgrade.

I've been thinking about sending some glocks up to MA. Now that I have my expert certs. through work I get 50% off glock, kimber, S&W, remington, the list goes on... I could send some up there at or just below market price and everyone wins. No worries about straw purchases since buying to resell is legal per ATF rules and anyone receiving one would have to go through a BGC at the FFL who receives the frame. Maybe after christmas I'll pick a few up and post them.

I could definitely be in on a 26

They probably designed a magazine similar to their 10-round magazines, but with a 15-round capacity.

If it fits right in a G17 it will stick out of a G19.

If it fits right in a G19 it would be too short for a G17.

Perhaps it is a G17 mag with a 2 bullet block in it? That way it will only hold 15 rounds. It would still stick out of a G19.

How they hell did they "customize" that?

???

They probably designed a magazine similar to their 10-round magazines, but with a 15-round capacity.

It may just be poorly written but... It sounds like they are saying that they modified the g17 to accept the g19 mags. Which is what I think reptile was getting at. G19 mags are shorter than g17 mags. So they would have had to shorten the g17s grip or notch out the bottom a bit so the g19 mags will lock in. I'm betting it is just poorly written and they actually modified the mags in the way m1911 suggested. Though the way it is written it sounds like they are saying that the guns were modified in such a way that the officers could share mags if needed. I highly doubt that is the case but anything is possible.

Wow, $525 sounds high to me. Do they have to get it from the NYPD? What is the price of a blue chip g17? Sounds like someone is making a few bucks on the side...

NYPD Officers aren't supposed to accept discounts, rebates, gratuities, awards (except from city newspapers) or kickbacks based on their employment.

If it fits right in a G17 it will stick out of a G19.

If it fits right in a G19 it would be too short for a G17.

Perhaps it is a G17 mag with a 2 bullet block in it? That way it will only hold 15 rounds. It would still stick out of a G19.

Exactly. It is like a 10-round Glock 17 magazine, except that it holds 15 rounds. At least, that is my interpretation.

Last edited:
It may just be poorly written but... It sounds like they are saying that they modified the g17 to accept the g19 mags. Which is what I think reptile was getting at. G19 mags are shorter than g17 mags. So they would have had to shorten the g17s grip or notch out the bottom a bit so the g19 mags will lock in. I'm betting it is just poorly written and they actually modified the mags in the way m1911 suggested. .

I strongly believe that they modified the G-17 mags, not the guns.

NYPD Officers aren't supposed to accept discounts, rebates, gratuities, awards (except from city newspapers) or kickbacks based on their employment.

That doesn't apply here. The City/state/PD whoever, can negotiate an agreement with glock as to the cost of firearms then offer them to the officers at that rate. The officers would be buying the guns from the PD. It is just like whosale or bulk purchasing. The officers aren't receiving a break or any kind of gratuity. The City/state/PD is just getting a contract rate from the manufacturer.

I strongly believe that they modified the G-17 mags, not the guns.

Ya same here. It just isn't practical the other way. They would need new molds to make shorter frames. Or people machining the old ones down so the short mags fit. From a cost standpoint it should make the PDs g17 more expensive than standard g17s not cheaper. It isn't like the NYPD is going to go out and buy a hundred thousand of them. That much of a commitment by glock just to produce what a thousand guns, if even that many. Makes no sense at all.

Why not just use a G17 mag in a G19 and consider the 2 extra rounds a bonus?

It is like the NYPD is too stupid to keep track of their rounds of something.

It's not like they keep track.

Amadoo Diallo was shot how many times? 200? What is an extra 2 rounds?

I still want to know how the G19 mags are "interchangeable" in a G17, unless they shortened the grip frame. And NYPD has a gazillion G19 magazines, as the G19 has been issued for years. Sounds like the guys with the old guns can borrow a mag from the new kids, but not the other way around.

Last edited:
Academy Sports has some of the lowest prices you'll find on guns. We have the gen 4 G17 on sale for $540. It's normal price is $570. Gen 3s are $500. That is a good price they are offering, but it is still absurd that they would have to pay for the upgrade.

I've been thinking about sending some glocks up to MA. Now that I have my expert certs. through work I get 50% off glock, kimber, S&W, remington, the list goes on... I could send some up there at or just below market price and everyone wins. No worries about straw purchases since buying to resell is legal per ATF rules and anyone receiving one would have to go through a BGC at the FFL who receives the frame. Maybe after christmas I'll pick a few up and post them.

Are you yourself an FFL?

Stupid is as stupid does!
Maybe now they will see how stupid the laws are when your a civilian firearm owner in NY!

This sort of thing is common in business as well. Just because a new hire is issued a new late model laptop does not mean that all employees senior to that new person get their not yet obsolete laptop upgraded to be "as good as the ones rookies are getting".

Wow, $525 sounds high to me. Do they have to get it from the NYPD? What is the price of a blue chip g17? Sounds like someone is making a few bucks on the side...
probably paying a premium for the privilege of carrying a slightly crippled mag.

Ya same here. It just isn't practical the other way. They would need new molds to make shorter frames. Or people machining the old ones down so the short mags fit. From a cost standpoint it should make the PDs g17 more expensive than standard g17s not cheaper. It isn't like the NYPD is going to go out and buy a hundred thousand of them. That much of a commitment by glock just to produce what a thousand guns, if even that many. Makes no sense at all.
I've been considering a little plastic surgery on my 22 so that it would have a grip length of my 23 for better concealability. I have yet to pick up the hack saw with intent.

I've been considering a little plastic surgery on my 22 so that it would have a grip length of my 23 for better concealability. I have yet to pick up the hack saw with intent.
I've been thinking about this as well. Two things are stopping me:
I know I'll mess it up
I suspect it will hurt resale if I move in the future and want to leave it in this state

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Judging from this image, it wouldn't be a difficult modification. However, unless you heat and flare the bottom after cutting it, you'll have a much smaller hole to put the mag in. It would make reloading a bitch in a SD situation. You also wouldn't have any lip to put your 3rd finger on. That could probably be solved with a pinky extension on the mag. though.

6_17_11_411.jpg

Best part of the article:

"The gun, as designed, can hold 17-round magazines — two more than the Glock 19. But the NYPD had the manufacturer customize the Glock 17s to carry only 15 rounds so it would be consistent with the interchangeable Glock 19 magazine"

Proof that the NYPD brass are morons.

So does this mean they are getting G17s with G19 grip length?

Just to nip it in the bud, a G17 slide will not go on a G19 frame. Its not just the length of the dustcover. All the internal spacing is different. (The G19 and G26 share most internal spacing)

Judging from this image, it wouldn't be a difficult modification. However, unless you heat and flare the bottom after cutting it, you'll have a much smaller hole to put the mag in. It would make reloading a bitch in a SD situation. You also wouldn't have any lip to put your 3rd finger on. That could probably be solved with a pinky extension on the mag. though.

6_17_11_411.jpg

Its easy to do, just hack the grip down and remove the finger grooves. With the grooves removed and a bit of an undercut on the trigger guard, you can get your whole hand on there.

It is of course hard to do in a way that is aesthetically pleasing and doesn't affect the value of the gun. But c'est la guerre.

Those numbers are usually an "all in" price. Not just the firearm, but extra mags for the officers, more extra mags for the armorers, armorer's class, spare parts, and sometimes even new holsters.

Couldn't you just take the bottom of the G19 mag off and put on a plastic extension? I think the M&P full size 10 rounders work that way. The bodies of the mags look the same for a MP 9 and 9c, the full size has a long plastic bottom so it reaches the full length of the grip

They will use G17 mags that have been modified by Glock to only carry 15 rounds.

Fools.

So honestly, what's to stop them from just going out, buying standard capacity G17 mags, dumping the idiotic issued mags in a drawer, and calling it a day?

Back
Top Bottom