NRA Arguments Parallel Pro-Slavery Attitudes

Opinion article in todays Sun Chronicle:

Larry Ruark: NRA's arguments have all, sadly, been heard before

[If you dont want to click the link]:
Owning a gun is NOT the moral equivalent of owning a slave. The NRA does NOT advocate the return of slavery. Gun owners, given the choice, would NOT prefer to own slaves rather than guns.

That said, there are some intriguing parallels between the arguments, attitudes and actions of defenders of slavery before the Civil War and those of NRA-type spokespersons (“gun rights absolutists”) defending Second Amendment rights in our day. (To be sure, not all defenders of slavery acted, felt and argued in all these ways all the time and on every occasion. And not all gun rights absolutists act, feel and argue in all these ways all the time and on every occasion. But the general patterns were — and are — there.)

Defenders of slavery argued that government could not and should not abolish or restrict slavery where it already existed, citing its acceptance in the Constitution.

Gun rights absolutists view any proposed restriction on the right to keep and bear arms as a violation of the Second Amendment (even though the Supreme Court’s Heller decision allows for reasonable regulation of that right).

Defenders of slavery argued that slavery could not and should not be kept from expanding into any United States territory — even into “free” states. Gun rights absolutists seek to override the strict gun control laws of many states by, for example, lobbying for a national reciprocal concealed carry law.

Slavery’s defenders argued that, as history showed, slavery was necessary if a nation was to be prosperous, great, safe and civilized.

Gun rights absolutists claim that the Second Amendment is the foundation and guarantee of all other rights in the Bill of Rights.

Defenders of slavery viewed the election of Abraham Lincoln as a mortal threat to the existence of slavery (which it was not). They escalated rhetoric which was already paranoid, hysterical and counterfactual to the point at which they convinced themselves that secession was the only way to preserve slavery.

Gun rights absolutists viewed the election of Barack Obama as a particularly dangerous threat to Second Amendment rights (which it was not).

Their rhetoric has become even more paranoid, hysterical and counterfactual and has resulted in a kind of intellectual and emotional secession from the Union in which a mistrust of government (except for a compliant Congress) and a fear of “others” has led to an “every-(armed)-man-for-himself” mentality.

Defenders of slavery ignored or held of no account the suffering inflicted on slaves.

Gun rights absolutists argue that gun-caused deaths in our country are just the price we have to pay to maintain our right to bear arms.

In both cases, violence is exalted and sanctified and human lives are sacrificed to the preservation of a supposed right (to enslave others) or a wrongly understood one (to keep and bear arms).

The United States was almost the last Western country to abolish slavery.

Slavery’s defenders then espoused racial segregation and undemocratic politics.

I wonder: When the United States finally enacts sensible measures against gun violence (making it just about the last modern country to do so), to what social and political causes will gun rights absolutists turn?

[Larry Ruark, of North Attleboro, is a Sun Chronicle columnist. His essays appear here the first Tuesday of each month.]

from the thread I started yesterday: gun control is not about combating "gun violence", it's a new term invented to scare sheep. The "enlightened" elite that can afford body guards, security or connections to issuing officers wants to keep rif-raf disarmed. Don't buy into bullshit arguments about slavery comparison.

Also, f*** that Heller decision and their "reasonable restrictions"

I just created a Sun Chronicle account but (for some reason) I can not log in to comment on this writer's drivel. Maybe someone with an account can leave a comment like below about Frederick Douglas:

1. After the civil war, it was Frederick Douglass (abolitionist leader) who urged the federal government to prevent any infringement on the right to keep and bear arms.

Martin Luther King applied for a pistol permit yet was denied.

3. It was Charlton Heston, a past president of the NRA, who marched in support of MLK long before it was the fashionable thing to do.

I've read similar articles that just substitute the anti 2a crowd with the NRA. But I think one of the best examples is the documentary "No Guns for Negros" it's available on YouTube and produced surprisingly close to home.

Slavery still exists, just in a different form. Look at all the poor people trapped in liberal inner cities with no way out.

Ah yes. The last bastion of losers pretending they are brilliant: Newspaper reporters. Long gone are the days of Woodstein and Bernwood. You are barely-employable, minimum-wage-making troglodytes that consistently believe you are smarter than the average bear. . . yet are stuck working in a small town paper that is dying.

Icing on the cake: The "I look like a penis" turtleneck with the bald head. "Challenge me. I look like a penis to intimidate you! Watch out!"

When you start with a conclusion and then work back to your arguments, it's brilliant. You tend to forget that plenty of "better" countries have gun restrictions AND high gun murder rates. That people get hit by trucks in Canada and stabbed in London. Nah. It's da'gunnzzz!!!!! My logic is irrefutable. I'm Penisman!

What a dolt. I'd worry if more than 8 little old ladies read the SC.

Well except that keeping human beings as property is not even on the same planet as people being free to own guns....

"Gun Caused deaths" ? WTAF.... What planet does this f***ing guy live on that a gun jumps up and shoots people on its own free will? [rofl]

-Mike

Anti's make me laugh so much, it feels like I've been doing the ab-roller for hours!!! I love how they truly truly think that firearms are CONSCIOUS entities and are NOT inanimate objects. Just like, according to them, GUNS are responsible for gun crimes now they're comparing firearms to slaves!! Chunks of metal and springs to human beings. Pure insanity! Lmfao!!

And this moron buffoon says that our "rhetoric is paranoid, hysterical and counterfactual", LMFAO!!! Really, where are his statistics, hard facts and analytical data? I hope he can show us the data of how successful the AWB of 94-04 was. Did idiot boy forget what side he's on? All three of those adjectives describe YOUR side dickhead, the ANTI's. The facts and logic is on OUR side

Seeing "Pro-Slavery" written out in the title just looks weird to me.
Kinda like "Pro-Cancer"...

And the NRA's first mission was to make sure freed slaves could own guns to protect themselves from violent DEMOCRATS who used to own them.
Some of us were around when they taught actual history in school you fruitcake.

Back
Top Bottom