Now we know why...

Now we know...

Why do rappers hold their guns sideways?

Why Do Rappers Hold Their Guns Sideways?
Because it looks so Hollywood.
By Brian Palmer
Posted Monday, Dec. 14, 2009, at 6:18 PM ET

As police chased Raymond "Ready" Martinez through Times Square on Thursday, the street hustler and aspiring rapper fired two shots, holding the gun sideways "like a character out of a rap video." According to the New York Post, Martinez's side grip caused the gun to jam, enabling police to shoot and kill the suspect. What's the point of holding a gun sideways?

To look Hollywood, of course. Journalists and gun experts point to the 1993 Hughes brothers film Menace II Society, which depicts the side grip in its opening scene, as the movie that popularized the style. Although the directors claim to have witnessed a side grip robbery in Detroit in 1987, there are few reports of street gangs using the technique until after the movie came out. The Hughes brothers didn't invent the grip, though. In 1961's One-Eyed Jacks, Marlon Brando used it, as did Eli Wallach in 1966's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Directors may prefer the style because it makes it easier to see both the weapon and the actor's face in a tight camera shot.

While the New York Post reported that Martinez's side grip caused the gun to "stovepipe"—that's when the spent casing gets caught in the ejection port, jamming the weapon—it's unlikely that the horizontal orientation caused the failure. In theory, tilting a gun sideways—90-degrees counter-clockwise for a right-handed shooter—means that gravity works against the ejection of the spent casing. As a practical matter, however, gravity is so weak compared to the force of the ejection that jamming is no more frequent in the sideways position than in the customary one. The more likely cause of the jam was Martinez's choice of weapon and ammunition. The MAC-10 is prone to stovepiping—a problem that's exacerbated by the use of hollow-point bullets, which may become deformed and scrape the inside of the barrel, or underpowered ammunition, which can slow the slide and throw off the mechanism's timing.

nyte-sytes.jpg

Wow, sounds like Palmer's a gun guy, didn't use the words "assault weapon", "clip", or "machine gun" even once!

I disagree, if he had done his homework, he'd have found that the technical term used throughout the gun world is "homey-grip". It's an advanced technique taught in elite groups, and I personally shoot a minimum 1,000 rounds a week using the "homey-grip" to try and master it. I just took my AR in to get the custom "Homey Platinum Plus" package installed.

Back
Top Bottom