• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not to be an @$$h013, but...

RLBreton

NES Member
I recently purchased a thing via this portal and kept the cardboard box of said item in my car for a few days...and LITERALLY just found a cockroach in the car in very close proximity to said cardboard box...do I complain to the seller, do I let the seller know, do I scream online on a forum, do I sob uncontrollably?

Please advise...what would you guys do? Am I alone? Has this ever happened to any of you?

I'd let the seller know as an FYI but it seems like a broad assumption that the roach came from them.

If I were the seller, Id want to know. Privately of course. Person could have such an issue that hes well aware of the problem, but could also be a situation where he may of brought home some strays somehow and isnt aware. Id like to know so Id be able to get ahead of the situation and nip it in the bud. Im thinking guys like plumbers, electricians, property maintenance, cops, emts, etc, people whose line of work may bring them into contact with critters who may hitch a ride home with them.

you forgot one thing....maybe it hitched a ride with you. not sayin' it to cause trouble but roaches are one of those "can't be me" type of issues and then denial, like head lice. and i'd be discreet with the other party.

Are you sure it’s a roach I have seen plenty of people who have never seen them call all kinds of bugs that are not roaches roaches

Are you sure it’s a roach I have seen plenty of people who have never seen them call all kinds of bugs that are not roaches roaches

This. This. This.

We had a problem on the property and everyone screamed F*%#!!! me included. It was a roach but not a cock roach. It was a wood roach that probably came in with some plants for a large interior garden. Looked like a CR until you studied it and compared it to pics online. Even the exterminator had a hard time identifying it. Stripped all the mulch out of the area then did two applications of soil drenching, first one Dursban Pro at half rate, second was Merit and that was the end of those little bastards. Remulched and GTG.

Tell the seller privately. It might not be his.

Come to SC where they call cockroaches Palmetto bugs.

Seriously, guys you should stay up north if this bothers you so much. Go far enough south, it's not the question of if you have roaches, its a matter of how many. Don't miss that a bit. Palmetto bugs can fly too. How fun.

How bad can it be?
Back in the 80's one of my first apartments was in some shithole brownstone where maybe half
the tenants spoke English, the rest were college students and/or 20'something party goers,
musicians,etc.

The place was so totally infested with roaches that the only way to eliminate them all would
have been to burn the building to the ground, or do the tenting thing and pump it
full of Zyklon-B. At night, if you flipped a light switch on, it looked like the floor was moving.
If you set out any Roach Motels, it would be filled to capacity with a no vacancy sign on the entrance
within a day or two... it was that bad. But being young, stupid and drunk at the time, none of
us gave a f***. [party][banana]

Usually those kinds of living situations don't last long, so I was there maybe 9-10 months
before I moved out. Boxed up what few belongings I had, and stuffed them in the back
of my Corolla. I had another place lined up to move to, but it wouldn't be available for
a few weeks. Dropped off all the boxes at my mothers place for storage and you guessed it,
roaches started showing up at her place. Fortunately we got the situation under control before
they really started to multiply, but mom was really pissed at me anyways.

The funniest part was that sometime later on I was driving along and saw a roach scurrying
across the instrument cluster (it was actually in between the cluster and clear plastic).

I ended up pulling up all the carpeting which was where they were hiding, probably
because it was damp from water and who knows what.

I named mine Pal and taught him to fetch.

But can he dance and sing?

Cardboard boxes a re notorious for harboring roaches and other insects. Carboard is fibrous and glued together making for an excellent food source.

Not surprising at all.

Come to SC where they call cockroaches Palmetto bugs.
That's because those things are everywhere. I did my basic training at Fort Benning GA......there is nothing cleaner than a basic training army barracks......and we had roaches er ah......palmetto bugs in the latrine all the time. Down South they are common even in clean homes.

Back
Top Bottom