Northborough Walmart - Never Again!

Why do you guys torture yourselves like that to save a buck?

Even in free states I don't bother with walmart.

+ 10 I see way to many people that are penny wise and pound foolish
Buy good quality ammo from your local gun shop and support their business or they won't be there long and then what.

In the old days, you could pick up any store phone, dial the "page" number and ask for customer assistance to the department. Unfortunately, many stores (and I think Walmart is one) have passworded the paging system since some miscreant issued a page "All black people please leave the store now".

One word:

RELOAD!

Make your own, and have what you want, when you want it, at prices that are far cheaper than even WallyMart.

I can teach anyone who is interested. It's easy. It's fun. It's relaxing.

Every time I see threads like this, I smile, knowing that I never stand in lines, or wait, or deal with idiots when it comes to ammo. I have never run out of loaded ammo. I shoot more than most people (except E/C), and never worry about the ammo to support my shooting.

So, that's the solution to Walmart: RELOAD

Most "border" Walmarts check ID to see if you are from mass. I go to the same counter in Amherst so much the guy recognizes me on sight but checks me.

I wonder why they would do that? Seems like an unnecessary step and an inconvenience to the customer.

Company policy! It's been discussed here before. WM set that policy in place many years ago. No idea if a MA AG had a hand in it or not, but it is what it is.

Back to the original post - yeah, the Northborough WM has always been difficult. Either they have nothing in stock, or can't find the guy with the key, or lost their license, etc., etc.

I've had NO problems at all at the Hudson, MA WM, which is only a few miles away. The little guy behind the counter (Dave) is almost always there, checks me out quickly, and no hassles.

As far as knowledge problems go, hey - if I need computer expertise, I don't go to WM, and if I need ammo expertise, I don't go to WM. But in both cases, if I know what I need I can save considerable cash as compared to the "specialty" stores. I still go to gun stores for other needs, but for ammo it's either WM or make it myself.

Sometimes when I get lazy and haven't reloaded for a while, I go into a local gun store and get inspired to reload thanks to their ammo prices......

One word:

RELOAD!

Make your own, and have what you want, when you want it, at prices that are far cheaper than even WallyMart.

I can teach anyone who is interested. It's easy. It's fun. It's relaxing.

Every time I see threads like this, I smile, knowing that I never stand in lines, or wait, or deal with idiots when it comes to ammo. I have never run out of loaded ammo. I shoot more than most people (except E/C), and never worry about the ammo to support my shooting.

So, that's the solution to Walmart: RELOAD

Yup, I'm finally going to get back into reloading. Have all the equipment from when I did it years ago.

WM "used to be cheap" . . . it was cheaper to buy 100rds WWB 9mm for $9.00 than to reload (in FMJ) or damn close. But when the price hit $20 and kept going, I made the decision that when I shoot all the store-bought stuff, I'll be cranking up the reloader.

WM is no longer "cheap" in my mind.

Problem with going to a real gun shop is that my favorite shop (FS) is almost 90mi RT and 1.5 hrs RT (assuming I avoid rush hour when it can add another 30+ minutes to the trip). It's not time or financially feasible unless I'm buying a ton of stuff and saving money. Another shop (FD) that I really like is similar in time, but fewer miles. Probably the closest shop to me is one that I'll never step foot in again and I'd rather quit shooting than give that person a single penny.

Buy good quality ammo from your local gun shop and support their business or they won't be there long and then what.

And, why exactly should I pay 2-3 times the WM price (or online price) to "support their business?" I don't call ripping me off on ammo as "supporting their customers."

Interesting...I didn't know that the Winchester White Box at the Gun Shop was far more superior to the Winchester White Box at Wal-Mart. More so as they have the exact SKU number.

One word:

RELOAD!

You teach me how to economically, safetly, and properly reload .22 and I'm there. Most of everything else I shoot, I do reload.

And, why exactly should I pay 2-3 times the WM price (or online price) to "support their business?" I don't call ripping me off on ammo as "supporting their customers."

This!

wal-marts service alone is enough to deter me from buying mostly anything there...

and for whoever saves 25% on groceries from stop n shop...your problem is that you're comparing walmart to stop n shop. i regularly shop at market basket, and have browsed wal-marts prices. market basket is easily cheaper on everything. the only reason i go anywhere else, is because shaws usually has better deals on soda.

i buy my ammo from the locals, and it's really not that bad. the selection at wal-mart is not that great either, from what i've seen. the 40-50 minute wait kills it for me.

wal-marts service alone is enough to deter me from buying mostly anything there...

and for whoever saves 25% on groceries from stop n shop...your problem is that you're comparing walmart to stop n shop. i regularly shop at market basket, and have browsed wal-marts prices. market basket is easily cheaper on everything. the only reason i go anywhere else, is because shaws usually has better deals on soda.

i buy my ammo from the locals, and it's really not that bad. the selection at wal-mart is not that great either, from what i've seen. the 40-50 minute wait kills it for me.

I've never even heard of Market Basket, and the nearest Shaws is 43 minutes away according to Google Maps, so Walmart is easily the cheapest for groceries for me.

Well, it's also not worth it for me to drive 40 min to Taunton/Raynham to go to a Marketbasket. And it's cheaper than Shaws as well. But, Stop and Shop by far has the best deli for chain stores. I was upset when my local butcher closed. He always had the best cuts of meat.

The only ammo I ever buy is Federal 5.56. All the rest I reload. Never understood why guys will drive to BFE to get a "good deal" on ammo and then complain that reloading takes too much time. In the hour it took to drive to XYZ store and back you could have loaded up 500 rds at home for half the price.

The only ammo I ever buy is Federal 5.56. All the rest I reload. Never understood why guys will drive to BFE to get a "good deal" on ammo and then complain that reloading takes too much time. In the hour it took to drive to XYZ store and back you could have loaded up 500 rds at home for half the price.

This is a specious argument. In addition to that one hour it takes to load up 500 rounds, how many hours of prep/setup time was involved? If you bought a reloading setup for Christmas, I sincerely doubt you'd load 500 rounds in the first hour after you peel off the wrapping paper. You can't just "wish away" all that other time you put into case prep, load development, die setup, etc.

I grocery shop at Walmart every Sunday afternoon. (I disagree with the price comparison with Market Basket.) It takes me literally two extra minutes to swing by the sporting goods counter and pick up a couple of 12ga and 20ga value-paks or some WWB. That said, except for shotgun shells, I do buy most of my ammo online these days, as Walmart hasn't caught the "downward slide" of ammo prices. But someday WWB will get back down to where it should be.

Last edited:

They aren't ripping you off. They are charging you their price plus a small markup. They often pay more for the ammo than Wally World and online retailers sell it for because they don't have the buying power of the big box stores. It's fine if you don't want to pay the extra money to support a local store, that's your prerogative. But to say the local stores rip you off does little more than show ignorance of how retail stores operate.

If Wally World had more than one box of 9mm if any(none when I'm in there)I would probably buy some,I keep a case here and buy what I need at the gunshows or shops if I plan going to a shoot or range.I built a reloading bench and area in my basement just havent got around to getting what I want.

Ah ok. I buy in Manchester, and I don't think I've been asked for a drivers license. At least not that I can remember. Maybe up in Concord, but I rarely go there.
We have an office in Manchvegas so I've bought there and Salem. Don't think I've ever been "carded" but I'm old.....Pretty much only thing I've ever bought from them is Winchester White Box 9mm on occasion, I buy everything else locally.

We have this disagreement on here about buying at Wally World versus your local gun shop over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and one last time, wait one more time over and over and over. It's obvious that gun shops can't compete with Walmart, no one asks them to compete. This is the U. S. and A(occasionally) where we can purchase what we want, where we want it, and at the price we want to pay for it. It's as simple as that. To call someone ignorant or other names for not buying at a gun shop versus Walmart is ludicrous. If you can financially afford to pay extra(notice I didn't say overpay) to support local gun shops, that's up to you because you had the choice to buy at Walmart too. More power to you, but I'll continue to buy at Walmart long as they have the ammo I need.

They aren't ripping you off. They are charging you their price plus a small markup. They often pay more for the ammo than Wally World and online retailers sell it for because they don't have the buying power of the big box stores. It's fine if you don't want to pay the extra money to support a local store, that's your prerogative. But to say the local stores rip you off does little more than show ignorance of how retail stores operate.

Fail. When I go to a gun store and see WWB from Walmart marked up 2x, it's not "their price plus a small markup." The gun store aplogists always use this phrase: "for a couple of dollars."

How much is it worth to "support a local store?" I can buy brass-cased, name-brand 9mm 115gr FMJ for right at $20/100 rounds on my doorstep. At Walmart, at my last glance, 9mm WWB is $24/100. At the local gunshop, it's $19.95/fifty. What exactly do I get to offset paying twice the price for my ammo? I can wait at the sporting goods counter at Walmart (which I never have, BTW) for a long time, to save that kind of money over the gun store.

Last edited:
Do FFLs even actually consider Walmart to be a competitor? The last time I saw firearms related products at a Walmart was at the one in Mt. Pocono, PA, and it was all Fudd stuff (shotguns, muzzleloaders, birdshot shells, etc.) and bulk packs of common calibers. If a gunshop can't offer more than that meager sampling of items in order to attract customers, it probably shouldn't be in business.

We have this disagreement on here about buying at Wally World versus your local gun shop over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and one last time, wait one more time over and over and over. It's obvious that gun shops can't compete with Walmart, no one asks them to compete. This is the U. S. and A(occasionally) where we can purchase what we want, where we want it, and at the price we want to pay for it. It's as simple as that. To call someone ignorant or other names for not buying at a gun shop versus Walmart is ludicrous. If you can financially afford to pay extra(notice I didn't say overpay) to support local gun shops, that's up to you because you had the choice to buy at Walmart too. More power to you, but I'll continue to buy at Walmart long as they have the ammo I need.

I'm case this was directed at me, I tried to word my post in a way that wasn't offensive but I guess my wording was still off. I wasn't calling him ignorant, I was trying to say that saying someone is ripping you off in this case shows ignorance of how retail works. Ignorance simply means a lack of knowledge in a specified area, it isn't always an insult. I've bought at both Wally World and local shops, and I've also started reloading so I really don't care where people shop. What I fo care about is people thinking they are being ripped off by good people when they aren't. Yes, they are paying more, but they aren't being ripped off. If anyone is getting ripped off it's the shop because they can't stock up their store at a competitive price with the big chains.

Fail. When I go to a gun store and see WWB from Walmart marked up 2x, it's not "their price plus a small markup." The gun store aplogists always use this phrase: "for a couple of dollars."

How much is it worth to "support a local store?" I can buy brass-cased, name-brand 9mm 115gr FMJ for right at $20/100 rounds on my doorstep. At Walmart, at my last glance, 9mm WWB is $24/100. At the local gunshop, it's $19.95/fifty. What exactly do I get to offset paying twice the price for my ammo? I can wait at the sporting goods counter at Walmart (which I never have, BTW) for a long time, to save that kind of money over the gun store.

This depends on the shop. I'm not saying there aren't stores out there that rip people off, but many don't. I've never seen WWB at twice the cost of Walmart. The shop by my office sells 9mm FMJ WWB for $14/50 which is only a couple bucks more than Walmart. I can also get 9mm LRN reloads from them for $9.99/50 + $2 off if I bring the shells back. Not much ripping off going on there with ammo IMO.

I'm case this was directed at me, I tried to word my post in a way that wasn't offensive but I guess my wording was still off. I wasn't calling him ignorant, I was trying to say that saying someone is ripping you off in this case shows ignorance of how retail works. Ignorance simply means a lack of knowledge in a specified area, it isn't always an insult. I've bought at both Wally World and local shops, and I've also started reloading so I really don't care where people shop. What I fo care about is people thinking they are being ripped off by good people when they aren't. Yes, they are paying more, but they aren't being ripped off. If anyone is getting ripped off it's the shop because they can't stock up their store at a competitive price with the big chains.

Wasn't at you at all, just in general. The general consensus is that if you don't support the local gun shops and buy at Wally World, you're ignorant and contributing to gun shops going out of business.

This shop with the crazy ammo prices, do they stock much in the way of ammo? How are their other prices? I ask because they may be "ripping you off" in that they have pretty high margins on everything. I don't buy into the ubiquitous "they're small and don't have the buying power" argument for every store. However, every store chooses where to be competitive and where to make their markup.

For example, many shops will choose to make razor thin margins on their new firearms but place a healthy markup on all of the accessories that one would normally pick up with them like cleaning kits, scopes, etc. This gets you into the store for a good price and they make their money on the extras.

With ammo it can be a similar deal. Some shops choose to go very competitive on ammo to get you into the store. Volume helps them do this profitably but it also increases traffic and hopefully sales on thenbigger markup items. IME, most small shops go the other way and mark up the ammo whle keeping a short stock. They don't want to tie up too much $$ in ammo if the can't move it fast.

Bottom line is that it's your call where to buy but I wouldn't immediately vilify the shop. They've made a business call and will have to live with it. You can always strike up a conversation about the ammo prices if you're a regular customer. They might be able to work out something for you if you're willing to buy by the case or more.

Some local gun stores have better prices and selection then Walmart. Nick's sporting goods in Palmer and Wayne's Weaponry in West Boylston have better prices on some ammo, but not all. They carry the polymer cased .223 and wolf brand ammo when they can.

The Walmart in Leicester has good pricing for generic 9mm and I am in and out faster then going to the main registers up front. Baby formula, diapers, new cars movie character and 9mm good to go![smile]

This shop with the crazy ammo prices, do they stock much in the way of ammo? How are their other prices? I ask because they may be "ripping you off" in that they have pretty high margins on everything. I don't buy into the ubiquitous "they're small and don't have the buying power" argument for every store. However, every store chooses where to be competitive and where to make their markup.

I don't know how you guys can even compare WallyWorld with the local gun shop.
Even if both entities get the ammo at the same cost do you think Wallmart cares a rats ass if they make a few bucks off ammo considering they provide and sell all the necessities of the entire market. It's clear local management would prefer to not even deal with it.

A small shop who's sole proprietors have to deal with (everything) has to order, keep track, carry the stuff in, store it, then deal with every idiot that comes in & decides to chew his ear off about the newest semi in the case has to charge a little extra to even make it worth their wile.
It's important & were fortunate to have those shops around.

You do understand that larger chains get products cheaper than the "little guys" right? A gun shop needs to make at least $2 on what they sell to make a living. All walmart has to do is go up half a cent on all their items and they will make more money in 3 months than that little gun shop will in 3 years.

You do understand that larger chains get products cheaper than the "little guys" right? A gun shop needs to make at least $2 on what they sell to make a living. All walmart has to do is go up half a cent on all their items and they will make more money in 3 months than that little gun shop will in 3 years.

Again, the gun shop apologists downplay the mark-up to make it sound like it's no big deal. If the price delta was only $2/100, I might consider it. As it is, my money goes to the best value, period. A gun shop offers no value over Walmart when it comes to ammo, so price is king.

Back
Top Bottom