• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northborough Walmart - Never Again!

I am never buying ammo at Walmart again. It is always at least a 20 minute afair to find an employee in Sporting Goods, then wait for them to find an employee with the right key to the case, then wade through the delays caused by a complete lack of training on how to sell it.

Today it took more than 40 minutes and at least 4 different employees, including two "managers", who each looked like they didn't progress past the 7th grade. All this for the ONE box of 9mm they had in the store. Did I mention that the selection there ALWAYS sucks? There is NEVER any 9mm or .40 in the store.

Here are some pearls of wisdom from their expert staff:

"Every time we stock the case we have to get the local police involved; it's kind of a pain."

"My manager doesn't even own a gun, but he had to get his FID; otherwise he couldn't order the ammo."

"We are a little understaffed right now, and it is hard to hire people who are responsible enough to handle ammunition."

[banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead]
[angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2]

Why do you guys torture yourselves like that to save a buck?

Even in free states I don't bother with walmart.

Why do you guys torture yourselves like that to save a buck?

Even in free states I don't bother with walmart.

Often times walmart sells ammo (9x19 and .40 S&W in particular) at 40% off of what a local gun shop has it for. When I buy bulk quantities, Walmart is unfortunately the place that fits my budget.

The Walmart in Danvers is also hard to get ammo out of. It can be a long, long process to find the one single person in the store with the key.

I don't care so much about the savings, Jose, but every other store within 15 miles that sells ammo (which isn't many) was either closed (at 10am on a Sunday) or a traffic nightmare. My next best bet was Dick's which is in a mall that is nearly inaccessible on weekends (Blackstone Valley), let alone the day after Christmas.

Walmart does have the cheapest ammo, it seems. Still, it's only like a buck more at a "real" gun shop, and, unlike Walmart, you can touch the box before you pay for it. You don't have to wait for someone with keys who probably thinks you're a pyscho for buying 1,000 rounds at a time.

Actually, Riley's price on Fed Automatch (I've been stocking up on 22lr lately) is all of 13 cents more per box, so that not be always true.

Oh, and I usually hit my Walmart on the way into work. They open at 7, I get there around 7:30. Usually someone is in Sporting goods, stocking shelves. And the place is dead at that hour. Maybe going in early will get better results?

I go to Walmart in Derry, NH on my way to MFL. I have got it down pat to where it only takes 5-10 mins. I walk in the store and as I get close to sporting goods I ask the first employee I see to call someone for the ammo case. They always do and as I get there I still ring the bell to let them know I'm serious and waiting. I usually have someone there within 2-5 mins and have my LTC and CC ready to go. At least at this Walmart its all about preparation.

I've never seen ammo at Walmart at a 40% discount where I live. Their selection is extremely limited, as is their availability. Parking at walmarts sucks and so does their service.

Things must be different over here.

I go to Walmart in Derry, NH on my way to MFL. I have got it down pat to where it only takes 5-10 mins. I walk in the store and as I get close to sporting goods I ask the first employee I see to call someone for the ammo case. They always do and as I get there I still ring the bell to let them know I'm serious and waiting. I usually have someone there within 2-5 mins and have my LTC and CC ready to go. At least at this Walmart its all about preparation.

The walmarts in NH suck a lot less than the ones in MA do WRT ammo. Their stocking is better and the staff are less dumb and more available.

-Mike

Agreed they have great stock in Derry most of the time. It depends who I get if they even ask for an I.D. One guy always asks for my LTC, as he should, when he sees my MA license. So I circumvent the whole process by just having my LTC out and ready.

All I know is that they have good prices on 22lr stuff (Mini-Mags and Automatch), and even better prices on 38spl (when they have it) then I've seen elsewhere. They also seem to have lots of 40 and 223, and 45 most of the time. [I've been tempted to grab a couple boxes of 380, as they had boxes of WWB last week--'cept I don't have a 380.] There's been self defense ammo too, in 9mm and 38, forget what but it was black box, bonded something-or-another. I guess selection isn't huge but they carry what sells best for them, I'm guessing.

Agreed they have great stock in Derry most of the time. It depends who I get if they even ask for an I.D. One guy always asks for my LTC, as he should, when he sees my MA license. So I circumvent the whole process by just having my LTC out and ready.

Ah ok. I buy in Manchester, and I don't think I've been asked for a drivers license. At least not that I can remember. Maybe up in Concord, but I rarely go there.

Ah, thanks. I usually don't pay too much attention to SD ammo, too darn expensive to buy much of. But they have some, which I thought was suprising. But that reminds me of a question I had.

I haven't bought any ammo at Wally-World in over two years save for 20ga slugs I never used.

at least 4 different employees, including two "managers", who each looked like they didn't progress past the 7th grade.

For the prices you're paying at Walmart, did you expect Harvard alumni?
Want somebody smart to deal with - buy at real gun shop, pay 30% more, support the local gun business, stop whining.

My 12yo son bought an air soft combo set & 2500 plastic BB's this morning at the Salem nh Wally world. Cashier rings it up, the plastic BB's come up as AMMO! Must be 18 to purchase...he has a gift card he gave her, she flipped out! "this is a weapon! He cannot purchase this!". WTF ??
"it's a toy"
" no it's not it's a weapon and he's under 18"!
"it's only a weapon to Walmart, I'm over 18 and you're a twit"

Unreal. The pussification of America continues

I've got 5 Walmarts on speed dial (Including Northboro) on my phone. I call ahead to see what they've got & if I'm in the area, I get it. Usually without too much trouble, but there is the occasional wait for someone to get to the ammo case. Awhile back, also Northboro store, the kid looked at my LTC for about a minute before looking at me and saying, "this isn't an FID". "No, kid, it's not...here's the difference." At least he paid attention and said he'd learned something.

I swung into on to grab some .22lr and asked the guy behind the counter "Are those .22lr copper plated?". His response "They're rimfire". I said "Well, yeah...but are they copper plated?" His response "They're rimfire like all rifle ammo is". I gave him a thumbs up and walked away. :-/

I've never had a problem at Walmart. Actually its usually pretty enjoyable. The one in RI Mall is stacked to the gills with ammo. Plus the case is in an isle so you can see all they have.

For the prices you're paying at Walmart, did you expect Harvard alumni?
Want somebody smart to deal with - buy at real gun shop, pay 30% more, support the local gun business, stop whining.

What?! Did you read what I posted? I expect it to take less than 40 minutes and 4 employees to buy a box of ammo. I also expect adults to be able to figure out how to unlock a cabinet and operate a cash register. That isn't asking much. You can call that whatever you want but it ain't "whining."

Last edited:
I don't care so much about the savings, Jose, but every other store within 15 miles that sells ammo (which isn't many) was either closed (at 10am on a Sunday) or a traffic nightmare. My next best bet was Dick's which is in a mall that is nearly inaccessible on weekends (Blackstone Valley), let alone the day after Christmas.

Forget Blackstone, and hit the Dick's in Lincoln plaza if you're going to a DSG store.

If you want to really be treated like a criminal, hit the wally world in Hudson, MA- the friggin' punk working the sporting goods dept gave me so much attitude I was convinced he must have grown up in Cambridge or some other moonbat enclave. Had he treated other customers in a similar fashion in another dept, I doubt he would keep his job for long. It is, however, Wal-Mart....

Why should he? There's no law in NH requiring it. Or do you mean that he should so everyone can feel safe [thinking]

I buy at the Salem, NH and Hudson, NH stores all the time, maybe a brief wait for someone to open the case. Usually a much shorter wait for service than in a busy gun shop. I don't expect them to know anything about ammo, just give me what I point to in the case.

Back
Top Bottom