• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northborough Walmart - Never Again!

I've never seen ammo at Walmart at a 40% discount where I live. Their selection is extremely limited, as is their availability. Parking at walmarts sucks and so does their service.

Things must be different over here.

They must. Blazer 9mm runs around $9 at walmart. Compare that to $14 - $17 (sometimes more, amazingly) per box at any normal MA gun shop.

"it's only a weapon to Walmart, I'm over 18 and you're a twit"

Priceless.

If you want to really be treated like a criminal, hit the wally world in Hudson, MA- the friggin' punk working the sporting goods dept gave me so much attitude I was convinced he must have grown up in Cambridge or some other moonbat enclave.

Hmm. I haven't been lucky enough to get waited on by him. With the notable exception of an asst manager a couple years back, they're usually polite and I don't ask them questions I don't expect them to know the answer to... like
"is that rimfire ammo?"

They usually get the older guy to wait on me when I'm there. Last time was a very nattily-dressed younger black guy. (another asst manager - polite and business-like). Still takes 10-15 minutes, though, considering the wait time.

But if I get that punk you got, I'll guarantee you that the manager is going to be hearing from me if he lips off to me. I just don't appreciate that kind of crap.

I've never seen ammo at Walmart at a 40% discount where I live. Their selection is extremely limited, as is their availability. Parking at walmarts sucks and so does their service.

Things must be different over here.

I have. Sometimes 50%. 45acp240grfmj,, gun shop price 30.99 bucks,, Wal-Mart 15.98. Even if it takes an hour it's worth it to me. I buy 12 boxes at a time that could equal 120 bucks or more depending on what I buy. Not bad for an hours work. Plus wm is 6 miles away and the nearest "real"gun shop is 20 to 40 miles away. The closest gun shop(8mi) is the 30 bucks a box shop so that doesn't leave me much choice. These shops could buy their ammo at wm and resell it cheaper than what they have on the shelves now? I talked to the guy at the shop about his ammo prices and he told me wm sells their ammo cheaper than he can buy it from his wholesaler??

Last edited:
I talked to the guy at the shop about his ammo prices and he told me wm sells their ammo cheaper that he can buy it from his wholesaler??

From my experiance when I used to work at a gunstore, this is 100% true. In all most all instances, walmart sells ammo (.45, 9mm, .40 & 380) cheaper then gunshops can buy from their distributors.

Crazy, huh?

South Portland, Maine WMart ammo is not all locked up so there is no delay. 5% cash back is nice with certain credit cards for department stores.

Little advice.
Before I got into reloading I'd buy 9mm WWB at Wall Mart ($9x100rd) I'd try to use it to my advantage.
The friggin lines to get out of there can be murder.
First I talk to the right person & tell them I'm going to need some help with ammo.
I'd get all my other stuff first.(dog food, paper products etc.)
Then stop buy, grab the ammo, pay for everything at that register then walk out the door past all the long lines.
It helped ease the pain of even walking into that place.[crying]

From my experiance when I used to work at a gunstore, this is 100% true. In all most all instances, walmart sells ammo (.45, 9mm, .40 & 380) cheaper then gunshops can buy from their distributors.

Crazy, huh?

The same is true for electronics. I work in the custom electronics industry and Best Buy, Walmart, etc, often sell for up to 10% less than what most regular retailers buy their gear for. This is why, while it's great to get a deal at the big box stores, it's always nice to also support your local stores.

Next time, try the Walmart in Worcester right off 146. They've only been open less than a year. I always see a decent, though not amazing, selection. I've never waited more than a few minutes for help and never gotten any lip. Don't get me wrong, they don't hold MENSA meetings there but they're better than all the Wally World's around. Dick's is a wallet raping for ammo. Even on sale it's more expensive than a lot of gun shops.

Dick's is a wallet raping for ammo. Even on sale it's more expensive than a lot of gun shops.

Well, at Dick's it all depends on who is running the register..... [rofl] If you buy a case of ammo sometimes you can get it at 90% off. [pot]

-Mike

The Walmart in Danvers is also hard to get ammo out of. It can be a long, long process to find the one single person in the store with the key.

Tell me about it. I always have to wait 20 minutes for the one person with the key to get off break or something. The one time I politely asked for the manager to come over to open it due to the sports section manager being late that day, they warned me he wouldn't have the key...and he didn't. I asked why, if you're a manager, don't you have a key for everything in the place. I got some babbledy-bibble about store policy. Apparently store policy is to piss off then lose customers. I think they need to tweak their business model a wee bit.

I don't go there any more, now I go to the little place up the road a-ways. You might be familiar with it. [smile] I have MUCH better luck with a different wally world just south of Boston. And Bass Pro Shop where you can -- wait for it... -- open the case yourself and CARRY the ammo to the counter to purchase it.

This is a great thread, when I start buying after jumping through the slummerville hoops, I'll need to know where to buy when I don't do it in NH.

I buy ammo from Wal Marts all the time. On my way to the ammo cabinet I usually pick up the latest issue of Shotgun News, whatever 2 or 3 other cheap small items I may need such as deodorant, laundry soap, whatever. Pay for my stuff at the sporting goods register and leave.

For me its more or less a convenience store with the same low level employees but with cheap prices.

If you want to really be treated like a criminal, hit the wally world in Hudson, MA- the friggin' punk working the sporting goods dept gave me so much attitude I was convinced he must have grown up in Cambridge or some other moonbat enclave. Had he treated other customers in a similar fashion in another dept, I doubt he would keep his job for long. It is, however, Wal-Mart....

You must be talking about the little guy that looks like an extra from Lord Of The Rings..he gave me and my buddy an attitude once..he is cool with me now.

The key is just buying in bulk when you go there. If you go all the time to buy 1-3 boxes then your chances to see stupidity increases. WWB of .45 100 count $32 and change. Most local shops i see that same box between $40-50. Buying 5 boxes of WWB at walmart could save me $50. That may not be much for many of you but it is for me.

its the same thing in Plymouth. It takes them 15min to get there. I feel your pain.
but i dont really go to walmart for ammo, i only buy there when my girl is looking at home stuff that i dont want to look at. so either i stay with her telling her everything is cute, or i wait for the sporting goods guy.

Well, at Dick's it all depends on who is running the register..... [rofl] If you buy a case of ammo sometimes you can get it at 90% off. [pot]

-Mike

Yep, just happened with a half a case of Nitro Pheasant. :) It was buy one get one 50% off. Only applied to the cheap stuff but they happily applied it to the Nitro Pheasant.

They must. Blazer 9mm runs around $9 at walmart. Compare that to $14 - $17 (sometimes more, amazingly) per box at any normal MA gun shop.

This. Local gun shops are easily double the price in some circumstances. Unless I need it(carry ammo), I don't buy target ammo from the gun shops.

Damn, getting ammo at the North Attleboro Wal-Mart isn't a problem at all. And it's worth it for me for how much .22 I go through. I can pick up the 500 bricks or the 550 loose packs for around 13 or 15 dollars. Any other place and they are in the 23 to 30 dollar range. I like to support my local gun shops...but I'm not rich...and I'm going to get the best bang for my money. And, the folk running the sporting goods in our Wal-Mart aren't that bad. I can usually go with my wife and kids...I take one, she takes the other. She'll go to the deli counter, I'll go to the ammo counter. Completely opposite sides of the store. I can get my ammo and get back to her before she's done with her order.

Damn, getting ammo at the North Attleboro Wal-Mart isn't a problem at all. And it's worth it for me for how much .22 I go through. I can pick up the 500 bricks or the 550 loose packs for around 13 or 15 dollars. Any other place and they are in the 23 to 30 dollar range. I like to support my local gun shops...but I'm not rich...and I'm going to get the best bang for my money. And, the folk running the sporting goods in our Wal-Mart aren't that bad. I can usually go with my wife and kids...I take one, she takes the other. She'll go to the deli counter, I'll go to the ammo counter. Completely opposite sides of the store. I can get my ammo and get back to her before she's done with her order.

You eat food from Walmart? You're a brave soul my friend. Unfortunately for me, my stomach isn't lined with stainless steel.

You eat food from Walmart? You're a brave soul my friend. Unfortunately for me, my stomach isn't lined with stainless steel.

Honestly, I thought the same thing....then I did a small grocery trip there. We have one that has a full grocery. I couldn't believe how much we saved over Stop and Shop. AND...the deli counter has some meats that I was surprised were kick ass. The veggies were fresh, and the butcher counter had very good looking meat that was very inexpensive. Also, they have these burgers that I swear were better than Bubba Burgers, which is by far my favorite frozen patty. After that, milk is milk, chips are chips...and they are all the same groceries as any other grocery...just about 15-25% cheaper.

So, we did a full grocery shop there once...and saved over 50 dollars on the same foods that we get at Stop and Shop. So, if we can get there early enough, we'll go there to grocery shop before Stop and Shop..wait too late and the place is a zoo.

I try to buy where the price is decent. That's how a free market works. Walmart has this advantage where you can combine trips together and buy everything at once. [strike]Food, clothes and 22lr[/strike] Bacon, wife-beaters and manly 45acp ammo. What's not to like about low prices on the staples of life?

Gunshops only have to worry when Wallyworld starts carrying reloading equipment and used handguns.

For the prices you're paying at Walmart, did you expect Harvard alumni?
Want somebody smart to deal with - buy at real gun shop, pay 30% more, support the local gun business, stop whining.

Sorry. If I want "somebody smart to deal with," a "real gun shop" is not where I'll be looking.

Sorry. If I want "somebody smart to deal with," a "real gun shop" is not where I'll be looking.

Exactly. The closest gun shop to the Northborough Walmart is The Gun Room. The last time I went in the the guy behind the counter was lecturing a customer about how it was a "federal crime" to try to check a gun in your baggage when flying, "no matter what the airline says."

I agree with C-pher, I've stopped in the Attleboro WM since they rebuilt it and was really surprised that the supermarket side is very very nice indeed.

The solution is simple.

Stop going to walmart. Buy it from a normal gun store, pay a few bucks more, lower your blood pressure to normal levels, and live a longer happier life.

Just wondering, anyone have experience with the Bellingham, MA Walmart?
I keep forgetting to look at their ammo selection.

The Bellingham WalMart has been well-stocked for a while. The woman that runs the Sporting Goods Department is very nice to deal with. Best prices on the UMC 250-round Mega Packs for 9mm, .40 and .45 caliber.

Back
Top Bottom