Non resident ammo sales

Hey all,

I'm out here in MA for work and have a temporary class A LTC. I went into a local gun shop the other day to buy some ammo and was told I can't purchase ammo with a non-res license.

Does anyone know the MGL for this? It seems rather bizarre that I can buy the ammo out of state and bring it back to MA, but am unable to purchase the ammo instate.

Nothing in C 140 S 131F (Non-res temporary license) or in C 140 S 122B (license to Sell Ammo) about selling to non-res. Keep in mind, however, that any store can set their own sales policy. Many do so because the average genius can not comprehend all the Mass Firearm laws.

I know that the Simon's Rock law prohibited any NR from buying ammo except at a range and it all had to be shot up there, couldn't take any off the premises.

I honestly can't find it in MGLs, but I know that I have seen it before.

Here's a link to the event that precipitated the law. REMEMBER it is a press article and accuracy may not be their strong point.

BTW (re article) NO list of states that could purchase long arms in MA has ever been released and NO list will ever be released! This is called "making a law look reasonable", but the devil is in the details of implementation.

http://204.27.188.70/daily/09-96/09-09-96/a03sr020.htm

Non-res ammo sales

Unfortunately, the shop which refused to sell on oa temporary non-res LTC was acting correctly.

The is one one two gaps which occurred because the resident and non-resident LTCs are handled in separate sections.. The resident LTC section provides authorization to buy ammo; hte non-resident sections does not.

The other gap is for non-citizens. The resident LTC provision does not provide for licenses to non-citizens, however, the non-resident temporary LTC provision does. Go figure.

I didn't get proofed last time I bought ammo... but then, I've bought 2 or 3 guns from him, so he kinda knows me by now!

Rob, this is NOT a mistake!

It is intentional that NRs NOT be allowed to buy ammo in MA. [Simons Rock Law]

It is likewise intentional that Resident aliens NOT be allowed to have concealed guns in MA.

It is purely an oversight that allows NR aliens to get a NR LTC in MA! If TPTB were aware of this, they would change the law in a heartbeat to prohibit it.

Grifter said:
I can't remember ever being asked for an ID any time I've bought ammo. Recently at least. Then again, never bought ammo in Mass.

In Hudson NH Wal-Mart, they are supposed to ask for some ID before selling ammo. Last week they sold me ammo and didn't ask for any kind of ID at all. First time that has happened and I've bought ammo there numerous times.

Never bought ammo at any wal-mart or any other "big box store" but I buy ammo in Maine with some regularity, and no ID is required by law.

But lots of store have thier policies.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

When I was 16 I remember I could never get away with buying handgun ammo from larger retail stores. But I always just made my way over to small gun shops and could always get a few boxes. Back then I appreciated it, now the thought of 16 year olds needed handgun ammo scares the hell outta me.

Back
Top Bottom