NO WEAPONS ALLOWED - sign

I seem to recall that there was a court case several years ago where a group wanted to pass out some kind of flyers, and the mall where they were doing it objected and had them removed. The group sued, saying that the mall was infringing on their First Amendment rights. I believe that the court found FOR the group, saying that the mall was now the equivalent of public property since that was where people congregated.

Wish I could remember more, but I'm sure that someone out there will remember this case and maybe know more.

Any way, there is a huge difference between my home, where if you're not invited you have no business being, and my (hypothetical) store, where I have the doors open and the public is invited to come in and shop.

When I first started my company I went to Home Depot to put flyers on construction vehicles the Danvers PD was there in minutes telling me to vacate. Probably stupid, but I asked why, he told me Iwas on private property and was loitering.

No offense, but I tend to not trust "some guy on the internet" too much when it comes to the possibility of going to jail.---tuna
Why trust them with your liberty at all?

Respectfully,

jkelly

I'm about as big a believer in private property as you'll find. I think that any property owner has a right to put up any sort of signage they like on their property (even signs that the government might consider to be discriminatory, "hate speech" or similar modern naughties). As part of my respect for private property rights, I'll leave whenever the owner or his agent asks me to do so. Of course I may indulge my own right to free speech to voice my opinions about people who put up signs of a particular nature or who ask people to leave for silly reasons. I expect that in a free society my opinions concerning the sexual proclivities of a property owner's mother would carry no more weight with law enforcement than that property owner's signs barring people who believe in assuming responsibility for their own protection from the property.

Ken

I was in a restaurant in VT a few years ago that posted a sign:
"PLEASE CHECK ALL FIREARMS AT THE DOOR"
hahaha yeah right. I think it was just a joke though

Why would anyone obey a sign like that while disregarding all of the speed limit signs on the roads?I don't think more than 5% of drivers keep it under the limit anymore.Oh and those stop signs that everyone slows down for before they blow them off?So what makes a Mall sign more important than a sign that has an actual law attached to it?

In contradiction to my Bestbuy attitude , when I went to Cabela's Foxborough I saw the " Please check all firearms sign " , and actually asked the greeter girl " Do you want my handgun ? " She said " Nope. , that's for long guns only ."

In contradiction to my Bestbuy attitude , when I went to Cabela's Foxborough ...---fubar
As much as I like the Bass Pro shop in Foxborough, I really wish it was a Cabela's. [grin]

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom