• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NJ Lawyer Arrested for Carrying Into Courthouse Without Permit

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
"It was not immediately clear if Jander was a member of a law firm or practices individually."

I can probably answer that one for ya after that stunt.

Who carries a gun in their briefcase? Did he think he was in a 1980's spy movie?

I'd like to own a pair of vz. 61s for that specific purpose. Just for the lulz though, not as a serious defensive measure.

IANAL but you would think that a lawyer would know enough to have a legal permit, or not bring a loaded weapon into a courtroom if he didn't? You can't fix stupid....

Who carries a gun in their briefcase?
Denny_Crane_H&K.jpg

ETA: That windowsill full of awards
should have included one from J.D. Power and Associates.

Have you been to NJ? You can be fined there for leaving your car running in the driveway.
Puh-leeze.

MGL: Ch. 90 §16A: Stopped motor vehicles; operation of engine; time limit; penalty
No person shall cause, suffer, allow or permit the unnecessary operation of the engine of a motor vehicle while said vehicle is stopped for a foreseeable period of time in excess of five minutes. ... Whoever violates any provision of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars for the first offense, nor more than five hundred dollars for each succeeding offense.​

MGL: Ch. 90 §16A: Stopped motor vehicles; operation of engine; time limit; penalty
No person shall cause, suffer, allow or permit the unnecessary operation of the engine of a motor vehicle while said vehicle is stopped for a foreseeable period of time in excess of five minutes. ... Whoever violates any provision of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars for the first offense, nor more than five hundred dollars for each succeeding offense.​
This section shall not apply to . . . (c) vehicles engaged in an operation for which the engine power is necessary for an associate power need other than movement and substitute alternate power means cannot be made available provided that such operation does not cause or contribute to a condition of air pollution.
Sounds like it will not apply to vehicles in a driveway running for the purpose of warming up and defrosting.

Hmm. Here in the People’s Republik of Mass, I show my bar card and walk through the beeping metal detector without slowing down.

At 29, he's probably pretty green. Wonder if he experienced the same thing a couple times and figured he could get away with carrying not realizing the detector was going to react a little differently than it does for a belt buckle, keys, and wedding ring.

Have you been to NJ? You can be fined there for leaving your car running in the driveway. NJ is so bad it makes MA look like a 2A paradise in comparison. It's worse than California, and that is a hard thing to type.

I can remember a gas station attendant getting mad at me and starts yelling at me because I wanted to pump my own gas which is illegal in NJ. How dare I operate such a dangerous machine. Sometimes Massachusetts can seem like paradise on earth compared to NJ.

Be interesting to keep tabs on this one and see where it goes.

I don't really think so.

Whether or not the guy gets convicted isn't probably going to change the fact that he'll get disbarred. NJ will have a statute or an order from the state supreme court barring carrying into courts unless the guy:

1) Had a permit; and
2) Checked it in; or
3) Did the @swatgig method

If he violated a state supreme court order, the bar association or whoever regulates NJ lawyers won't look kindly on this. A constitutional challenge based on the 2A is DOA. Lawyers are subject to extra regulation because of bar licensing. For example, lawyers don't have an absolute 1A right to advertise in any way possible. Things like law firm names are highly regulated.

The guy'll probably be disbarred, then sue to get his bar license back, then get denied, then have to find a non-legal job.

Of course I could be totally wrong and I hope I am but... its NJ.

Let’s not forget that many signs read No Weapons Allowed.
The guy was a dolt. Should have announced he was a lawyer. Mass can’t be the only state with metal detectors and he had to have been wearing blinders to not notice suits walking in with zero f***s given.

Ya. I spent time in court and also know a few officers and have been given ‘privilege’ of not stripping down.

Let’s not forget that many signs read No Weapons Allowed.
The guy was a dolt. Should have announced he was a lawyer. Mass can’t be the only state with metal detectors and he had to have been wearing blinders to not notice suits walking in with zero f***s given.

Ya. I spent time in court and also know a few officers and have been given ‘privilege’ of not stripping down.

The court I work at this summer has a beeper sensor that allows attorneys to bypass the metal detector. Maybe the guy had other problems going on and wasn't up to snuff with his bar membership. The article did say that it was unclear where he worked. I punched his name into LinkedIn and someone with a similar name comes up working at a firm, but if he worked there, the firm has since scrubbed him from their website.

The court I work at this summer has a beeper sensor that allows attorneys to bypass the metal detector. Maybe the guy had other problems going on and wasn't up to snuff with his bar membership. The article did say that it was unclear where he worked. I punched his name into LinkedIn and someone with a similar name comes up working at a firm, but if he worked there, the firm has since scrubbed him from their website.
Walked in many times and had to go thru the whole thing for me. Lawyer must show ID every time. They knew we were removing a weeks worth of documents. Clearly stated everything was filmed at Woburn. Guys just doing their jobs.
My lawyer did wait for me and truthfully I could have let her haul 300 pounds of paper by herself but she did win for our side.
She deserved it.

Back
Top Bottom