NH witness: SPCA takes citizen's gun, chambers round

If you engage exclusively in tactics which make 99% of normal people consider you to be maniacs, then you'll never get anywhere.

Judging by the posts in this thread I'd say the majority disagrees with you. So saying 99% consider them to be maniacs is incorrect. I have yet to see anything in the videos that would make me see them as maniacs. I consider someone committing a violent act to be a maniac, but not these guys. I have yet to see any of the Ridley group resist arrest or not comply with what the law requires. So they don't roll over and comply, they do what is required by law.

I can't believe there are people on this board that would ask "How high?" when the JBT says "Jump!". I am seriously worried for the future of this country when the citizens are afraid to question authority. You are aware the police are suppose to work for We the People as a whole, and as such the Peace Officers should comply with the laws they were hired to enforce.

If you think we should just comply with ANY request of a LEO I take it you don't much believe in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. If we end up with 99% of the people thinking like you the fight will have been lost. Some people "get it" you do not.

99% of normal people

Also please tell me what is your definition of "normal people" is. Who decides what is normal? I have yet to meet anyone that I don't think some of the things they do aren't normal.

Somehow I'm not surprised that this comes from a guy who wears a fanny pack. Now that's something that's not normal.

New Hampshire Heeere we come...(6 more months please God).

Please don't. We don't need anymore sheep.

Last edited:
i'd welcome suggested improvements.

I take it by now the reality is beginning to sink in that we have over 600 free staters in-state now, many carrying video cameras. if each of them gets approached by a cop once a year and records it...that's over two videos a day. The fact that the number of taped run ins is more like two a week...indicates there isn't that much free stater - police interaction overall.

I think part of the reason the freestaters have a bad reputation amongst some people is that all they hear are the civil disobedience issues and people going to jail.

It is like a daytime soap opera sometimes - Lauren goes to jail, Kat goes to jail, Russell goes to jail etc etc along with the occasional affair, theft and child support issues throw in.

There may be 600 freestaters in state now but all most people hear about are the 10 or so who take it to extremes to protest all Government as opposed to excessive big Government. If they ever knowingly meet a freestater it is probably someone in a mask protesting something one of their buddies did to get locked up.

If more people heard good things about freestaters elected to state offices and then doing something concrete to reduce the burden of Government in our lives then more people would have a favorable impression and might even get involved so it isn't an "us vs them" thing of the longtime NH residents against an imagined invasion of anarchists and hippies.

Because he was walking around making sure people saw it. What does this do to the normal public? It freaks them out. Why would you do this? so you could have a run in with the cops. There is no other reason.

Why would you [open carry]?... There is no other reason?

Sure there is. The state of NH made it a crime to carry concealed. Yes, you can ask the state, "May I?" And pay a fee.

If you don't want to pay, or beg, then you you must chose between violating the law or open carrying.

If NH changes the law I'd carry concealed when I visit. If they don't, my only choice for self-defense is to open-carry.

If the "normal public" doesn't like open carry, they have an easy solution.

I can't believe there are people on this board that would ask "How high?" when the JBT says "Jump!". I am seriously worried for the future of this country when the Citizens are afraid to question authority. You are aware the police suppose to work for We the People as a whole, and as such the peace officers should comply with the laws they were hired to enforce.

Sorry, had to fix your case. I think you cased it the way it appears, not the way it should be.

Please don't. We don't need anymore sheep.

But they are so cute and cuddly and you can make tweed jackets and wool blankets out of them!

Why would you [open carry]?... There is no other reason?

Sure there is. The state of NH made it a crime to carry concealed. Yes, you can ask the state, "May I?" And pay a fee.

If you don't want to pay, or beg, then you you must chose between violating the law or open carrying.

If NH changes the law I'd carry concealed when I visit. If they don't, my only choice for self-defense is to open-carry.

If the "normal public" doesn't like open carry, they have an easy solution.

I might take you seriously if you weren't from MA.
It has been a crime to carry concealed without a permit in NH for quite some time, just like 47 other states.
Do you open carry in MA? It cost you $100 for that privilege and you're complaining about paying $20 and waiting 2 weeks for the privilege to carry concealed here.
I'm fairly certain that if you did open carry in MA you would find yourself in a similar situation, frightening the "general public", talking to the police and, when all is said and done, have you permit revoked for being an "unsuitable person".
Your time would be better spent trying to get the laws in MA changed instead of complaining about how we haven't got it right here.

They have 40+ acres. Neighbours I don't think are the problem. Horses are 5k+ each (they have at least 4) and they spent $15k transporting them here. I doubt they would do anything to harm them.

You are being way too logical here. Everday animals of all species which are expensive to own and maintain are abused. It doesn't make sense to you or me, but there are some crazy and cruel people out there.

I think that there is a lot more to this story than what we have seen on the video. Errors were committed on both sides.

Mark L.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your time would be better spent trying to get the laws in MA changed instead of complaining about how we haven't got it right here.

Increasingly and most unfortunately the good people of New Hampshire are not "getting it right" ...just look at the results of the last election. The smug geocentrism that so many of you "Live Free and Die" folks manifest gets annoying...and please don't respond with some platitude about how "all the Ma**h***s are moving north and ruining your state." You aren't living in friggin' Montana or Alaska, you know...which epitomize true "gun culture."

As far as I know the First Amendment gives everyone the right to comment on New Hampshire whether they live there or not.

Just wait until you start paying state income tax...and that my friend is coming.

Mark L.

Increasingly and most unfortunately the good people of New Hampshire are not "getting it right" ...just look at the results of the last election. The smug geocentrism that so many of you "Live Free and Die" folks manifest gets annoying...and please don't respond with some platitude about how "all the Ma**h***s are moving north and ruining your state." You aren't living in friggin' Montana or Alaska, you know...which epitomize true "gun culture."

As far as I know the First Amendment gives everyone the right to comment on New Hampshire whether they live there or not.

Just wait until you start paying state income tax...and that my friend is coming.

Mark L.
[butch cassidy]My, we seem to be a little short on brotherly love round here.[/butch cassidy]

"smug geocentrism[sic]?" "Just wait until you start paying income taxes?"

Wow, Mark. How do those sour grapes taste?

As has been documented in this and other threads, NH suffered from a large "Anti-Bush" vote, and that flat hammered our US Congress positions. Look at the ads attacking Sununu ("Lockstep with Bush," Bush: "John Sununu was there with me from the beginning...") and even poor Jeb Bradley, who's been out of office for two years, was attacked with the "He's like Bush" stick based on his past record in Washington. Nobody's denying the top of the ticket did nothing to carry the US House and Senate races. Not even a shirt-tail there.

However, in what must be the worst election cycle in years (ever?), Republicans actually gained 17 seats in the State Legislature, and lost no ground in the Executive Council. If Republicans can make up ground in this cycle, then I think the state's going to do just fine, thanks.

But, hey, keep watching from just over the line. We value that outsider's opinion.

Mark L.

I would never say, nor imply, that NH is a perfect place all the time and I never commented about "all the Ma**h***s are moving north and ruining your state". Where did that come from?
I absolutely agree that "the First Amendment gives everyone the right to comment on New Hampshire whether they live there or not". I was simply pointing out the absurdity of jcr's argument. He/she has more rights in NH as a non resident than he/she does as a resident of MA and should work to change his/her home state instead of whining about the priviledge he/she doesn't have in NH.
I'm already paying income tax. I live in NH but work in MA. I would love to send my money to my home state, but that ain't gonna happen, not in my lifetime anyway.

Yep. As long as people keep adopting the "Roll over and say BAAAA!" mentality that's been exhibited in this forum, of all places, I'd say you'd be right.

I'll say this. If a bill calling for an income tax makes it to a committee hearing, the line will be out the door and around the block of people showing up to testify and speak their mind.

If a bill came up for debate in Massachusetts, calling for an increase in the income tax rate, how many of you would actually be afforded the opportunity to address the legislature in person to have your voice heard?

Forget about "one hand", I can count that number on my antennae.

NH and MA are fundamentally and structurally worlds apart.

Yep. As long as people keep adopting the "Roll over and say BAAAA!" mentality that's been exhibited in this forum, of all places, I'd say you'd be right.

I'll say this. If a bill calling for an income tax makes it to a committee hearing, the line will be out the door and around the block of people showing up to testify and speak their mind.

If a bill came up for debate in Massachusetts, calling for an increase in the income tax rate, how many of you would actually be afforded the opportunity to address the legislature in person to have your voice heard?

Forget about "one hand", I can count that number on my antennae.

NH and MA are fundamentally and structurally worlds apart.

Since we're continuing off topic.... I know plenty of people who want a NH state income tax so that they no longer have to pay MA taxes. Personally I don't want either, but if *I* *had* to make the choice between paying income tax to MA or NH, I'd rather pay NH. And it would be a 0% income tax. Or maybe just 0.0001% to get MA off my back. Of course I think the government has NO right to know how much money I make.

Since we're continuing off topic.... I know plenty of people who want a NH state income tax so that they no longer have to pay MA taxes. Personally I don't want either, but if *I* *had* to make the choice between paying income tax to MA or NH, I'd rather pay NH. And it would be a 0% income tax. Or maybe just 0.0001% to get MA off my back. Of course I think the government has NO right to know how much money I make.

Fun question- what exactly stops MA from continuing to tax you even if NH does? MA is just gonna stop out of the goodness of their heart? [laugh]

I don't know tax code really well, so I'm guessing there is some kind of federal law I'm missing here.

-Mike

Fun question- what exactly stops MA from continuing to tax you even if NH does? MA is just gonna stop out of the goodness of their heart? [laugh]

I don't know tax code really well, so I'm guessing there is some kind of federal law I'm missing here.

-Mike

Well that is exactly my point I made to the guy at work (but not here). There actually is *nothing*.

NH and MA would have to get together an negotiate it. My guess though is the outcome of it would be "NH takes X% and if X% is under 5.3%, MA takes 5.3% - X"

Would be nice if they negotiated it as "If a NH resident pays a NH income tax, MA will no longer tax that NH residents. Then NH have an optional .01% income tax."

Well that is exactly my point I made to the guy at work (but not here). There actually is *nothing*.

NH and MA would have to get together an negotiate it. My guess though is the outcome of it would be "NH takes X% and if X% is under 5.3%, MA takes 5.3% - X"

Would be nice if they negotiated it as "If a NH resident pays a NH income tax, MA will no longer tax that NH residents. Then NH have an optional .01% income tax."

The thing is, I doubt MA will negotiate at all. They'll probably just say "well, if you want to tax your citizens that work in our state again, we don't care... not our problem."

-Mike

The thing is, I doubt MA will negotiate at all. They'll probably just say "well, if you want to tax your citizens that work in our state again, we don't care... not our problem."

-Mike

I solved my problem by getting work to let me work from home.

-Mike

There is none. My dad still gets taxed by NYC for the 3 or 4 weeks he works in the city every year and he has to "prove" he didn't commute into the city the other 48 weeks to not have to pay their income tax since his company is headquartered in NYC.

The First Amendment does not give everyone the right to comment.

The constant misunderstanding of this sort of thing makes up a large part of the problem.

I was under the impression that a NH resident working from home for a Mass based company would still have to pay Mass income tax. Is this wrong?

Well it's a good thing my company is based in California and it's just a branch office in MA! Now I just have to pay CA taxes and MA taxes!

I was under the impression that a NH resident working from home for a Mass based company would still have to pay Mass income tax. Is this wrong?

Yes, that is wrong.
It doesn't matter where the company is located. What matters is where the work is performed.

Yes, that is wrong.
It doesn't matter where the company is located. What matters is where the work is performed.

Thanks! I actually got that impression from our HR, but it is a small company and HR is really about 2% of that persons role [hmmm]

I telecommute from my home office to the server room in my basement, and where that basement is doesn't really matter to my company... [thinking]

The First Amendment does not give everyone the right to comment.

The constant misunderstanding of this sort of thing makes up a large part of the problem.

Oh don't start with that inalienable God given rights crap...you know damn well what I mean. Go back to stockpiling your guns, ammo and food for the "bad times that are coming."

Mark L.

Oh don't start with that inalienable God given rights crap...you know damn well what I mean. Go back to stockpiling your guns, ammo and food for the "bad times that are coming."

Mark L.

He was pointing out that there is a fundamental difference between the constitution granting rights and the constitution protecting existing rights. The former would mean that you were a subject, while the latter would mean that you were a sovereign individual (of We The People). The comment was not deserving of insult.

Mark L.

Not a fan of natural rights, eh? [thinking]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom