NH smith for AK muzzle?

Anyone have a recommendation on a smith in NH (pref southern NH) to un-Massify two AK muzzles?

One is silver soldered with the traditional slant brake and the other has a welded muzzle nut. Since I've moved to NH I don't see the point in keeping them compliant and figured I'd put a muzzle device on one and have the ability to swap out the other.

If I were still in MA I'd go to Northeast Arms, but I presume he wouldn't be able to help in this scenario (I have a MA non-res but unlike an AR where I might be able to bring just an upper I don't see how I could get around the legal implications for an AK).

I do see Northeast Gun Works in Hudson has some good reviews, but I hadn't heard of them before and figured I'd ask the NES brain trust.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the costs would be?

Last edited:
John Andrewski. He's the gunsmith that does a lot of work out of Shooters Outpost in Hooksett. He's working on an AK for me right now, and the prices are very reasonable imho.

I've had him do work for me in the past on a few guns and his work is top notch.

You can Google his name or check the Shooters Outpost site for his contact info.

Are these some kind of super nice AKs? Seems like it might be easier to sell in MA and get new ones in NH. What's this kind of gunsmithing cost?
One is no longer imported and in its base model someone has listed for $1700 in the classifieds.
I moved to NH over a year ago so the sell in MA ship has sailed. One smith said it would take about 15 minutes per rifle.
I've also seen Youtube videos of people just using a dremel to break the weld. There's really two concerns: 1.) don't mess up the threads 2.) more importantly, don't mess up the barrel.

It's not a huge deal. It's like moving to a free state and leaving your AR's stock pinned; yeah, you're used to it the way that it is, but if you can use it in free state mode, why wouldn't you.

I'll be able to give actual experience feedback on Northeast Gun Works (Hudson, NH) soon. I'm just waiting for him to be ready to take my FrankenPara and machine the slide for Novak LoMount sights, and then install them (his suggestion to make sure they go in without issue). I'm planning to give him a call in the morning, since it's about the time he said he'd be ready for this.

If this first job, with him, goes well (or as expected) I have some additional work I want him to do.

I'll be able to give actual experience feedback on Northeast Gun Works (Hudson, NH) soon. I'm just waiting for him to be ready to take my FrankenPara and machine the slide for Novak LoMount sights, and then install them (his suggestion to make sure they go in without issue). I'm planning to give him a call in the morning, since it's about the time he said he'd be ready for this.

If this first job, with him, goes well (or as expected) I have some additional work I want him to do.
His reviews were good; someone said something about him machining them a firing pin for a old firearm that didn't have parts anymore, so that suggests some level of sophistication.

He has some impressive machinery in the shop. I'm just hoping he's been really busy, or something for letting the window slip on when he said he'd be ready to work on my pistol. I'm kind of hoping he'll say to bring it over this week. So I'll set up for Friday and work from home that day to get it to him. Since I don't have a permission slip to bring anything into the PRM, I won't be able to do that right from work. :) Maybe use the rest of the afternoon (go over there after lunch) and then hit the range after. Win win win.

He has some impressive machinery in the shop. I'm just hoping he's been really busy, or something for letting the window slip on when he said he'd be ready to work on my pistol. I'm kind of hoping he'll say to bring it over this week. So I'll set up for Friday and work from home that day to get it to him. Since I don't have a permission slip to bring anything into the PRM, I won't be able to do that right from work. :) Maybe use the rest of the afternoon (go over there after lunch) and then hit the range after. Win win win.
He's got pics of AKs and stuff that should be much more complicated than what I'm looking for. He's really close, too. I have a Friday off in a couple of weeks and would probably do the same strategy with using a day off and hitting the range during or after.

The weather predict is good for this Friday on both counts. :) Might have to do some reloading before then (after dinner).
Was he able to take it today?
I emailed him the other day and haven't received a response.
The first place I called said they'd call me back in 30 minutes, but that was three days ago.

Last edited:
I'm heading out to him this afternoon. I called him on Wednesday to set it up. He expects to be able to machine the slide in about two weeks. I'd rather get it to him now so that if he can get to it before then, he has it.

I'm heading out to him this afternoon. I called him on Wednesday to set it up. He expects to be able to machine the slide in about two weeks. I'd rather get it to him now so that if he can get to it before then, he has it.
Oh, wow. He must be backed up. I guess it's a good thing that people are seeking his services, though.

Just wanted to bump this for posterity -- George at Northeast Gun Works took care of these for me in a timely manner and at a very fair price. I recommend him, and would not hesitate to use his services on any other projects I needed to be done.

Threw a Meridian Defense BD-2 on the WASR (ordered from AKOUL 47-74 who is also fantastic) while the Saiga still wears the slant brake until I decide what to use. Wanted the AK74 brake, but not many US-made options other than Tapco; CNC Warrior is sold out of theirs.

Going to test on Friday, if all goes according to plan.

Back
Top Bottom