• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Nonresident

I did a search but couldn't find the exact info I was looking for.

Currently I have a class A restricted t&h (Waltham first time). I spend a lot of time in NH. If I apply for a NH ccw will it get denied because of my MA restrictions?

I will most likely be moving in a few months and getting restrictions removed, am I better off waiting till then?

thanks in advance

shouldn't be a problem i was restricted when i first got my ltc and had no issues applying , as far as getting your restrictions removed after you move that is a hole different can of worms. I dont think anyone here has actually done it , basically the issuing town owns your ltc even after you move so only way to remove it would be if you move to a green town and renew or ask the cleo on waltham to remove the restriction

shouldn't be a problem i was restricted when i first got my ltc and had no issues applying , as far as getting your restrictions removed after you move that is a hole different can of worms. I dont think anyone here has actually done it , basically the issuing town owns your ltc even after you move so only way to remove it would be if you move to a green town and renew or ask the cleo on waltham to remove the restriction

Thanks for the input I'm not as worried with the move because that is a whole different issue, I was mainly talking about the nh. I need to have a conversation with the Cleo in whatever town I move to and take steps from there.

Currently I have a class A restricted t&h (Waltham first time). I spend a lot of time in NH. If I apply for a NH ccw will it get denied because of my MA restrictions?

I will most likely be moving in a few months and getting restrictions removed, am I better off waiting till then?

thanks in advance

NH doesn't care about MA BS.

For your restrictions when you move, waltham owns your LTC until it expires. You'll need them to lift the restrictions or get them to expire it early and apply in your new town.

Thanks for the input I'm not as worried with the move because that is a whole different issue, I was mainly talking about the nh. I need to have a conversation with the Cleo in whatever town I move to and take steps from there.

You kind of have me confused. Do you want a NH non-res permit or do you want to move to NH and get a resident permit from the town you move to?

I can't help you with the non-res, but the application isn't town specific and is handled by the state. I have never heard of someone being issued a restricted one. Keep in mind, NH doesn't require a permit for open carry and most people don't mind guns.

As for moving here with a restricted Mass license, I think the appropriate thing to do would be to burn it after you establish NH residency [rofl]

In all seriousness, you need to clarify more.

There was a [thread=232662]brief period[/thread] during which "restricted" MA permits were a problem for non-resident NH applications, but that has since been cleared up.

Waltham B/S

thanks in advance
I also live in Waltham, have a restricted ltc, to get a non resident N.H ltc you just pay $100 fill out application with a pic of your ltc & you get it. No problem. I'm moving to N.H. by the end of 2016. Waltham is a joke.

There was a [thread=232662]brief period[/thread] during which "restricted" MA permits were a problem for non-resident NH applications, but that has since been cleared up.

This^

IIRC, it was back around 2008, NH stopped issuing non-res permits to MA residents that had restricted LTC's.
I got caught up in that one myself because the time period coincided with my own renewal.
They returned my application with a letter of explanation, along with my uncashed check.
I applied again a few months later and got it without a problem.

This^

IIRC, it was back around 2008, NH stopped issuing non-res permits to MA residents that had restricted LTC's.
I got caught up in that one myself because the time period coincided with my own renewal.
They returned my application with a letter of explanation, along with my uncashed check.
I applied again a few months later and got it without a problem.
There was another period in 2012 or n 2013 where it happened again, but has been fine since.

I can't help you with the non-res, but the application isn't town specific and is handled by the state. I have never heard of someone being issued a restricted one. Keep in mind, NH doesn't require a permit for open carry and most people don't mind guns.

That is because, there is no such thing as a restricted one in NH.

I guess related, but on the application what are non-residents putting as a reason for requesting?

I guess related, but on the application what are non-residents putting as a reason for requesting?
Pretty much anything, but nobody yet has had the cojones to write "Zombies" and send it in.

That is because, there is no such thing as a restricted one in NH.
Correct -- the "purpose", is not a restriction, and the answer key is in the RSA:
RSA 159:6 I. (a) said:
shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued.

Just got my NH non-resident with a restricted LTC a couple months ago. Your new town's CLEO is probably not going to be able to help you much. Waltham owns the LTC until you renew in your new town, so you'll have to jump through whatever hoops Waltham wants you to for them to expire or remove the restrictions.

Thanks for all the info. I am going to have a conversation with the CLEO in the new town. He is a really nice guy and I expect he will give me some sort of advice. I am hoping possible he will be able to help the process along.

Side note- Anyone know the appx time to receive a NH Non-Res? once they get the application.

Side note- Anyone know the appx time to receive a NH Non-Res? once they get the application.
Legally, the license shall be issued within 14 days after application, but reality is it can take longer for non-residents (when I first applied it was taking 7 weeks!), lately the turnaround seems variable and somewhat random. There's a whole [thread=22055]thread[/thread] on NH NR processing time.

Last edited:
There working on 6 weeks now. With all the recent gun purchases they are behind and hired more staff to process things

Interesting. Only issue I forsee is within the next 2-3 months I may no longer be in my current residence. The only issue I see would be if them sending me the license to my old address, but mail forwarding would take care of that.

The below was taken off the FAQ page... Does this mean that if I am restricted in MA, I can't CC in NH?

"I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

• You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
  • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
  • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
  • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information."

The below was taken off the FAQ page... Does this mean that if I am restricted in MA, I can't CC in NH?

"I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

• You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
  • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
  • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.

It means if you don't have a non-resident NH P&R, you can't carry in NH. NH only recognizes resident permits for reciprocity, and MA doesn't recognize NH, so NH doesn't recognize MA. Your MA LTC is only important inasmuch as it lets you apply for your NH non-resident P&R. Beyond that, it doesn't matter in NH.

Pretty much anything, but nobody yet has had the cojones to write "Zombies" and send it in.

Correct -- the "purpose", is not a restriction, and the answer key is in the RSA:

On my last renewal (last month) i put "It's my right". The chief laughed and said to pick it up at the town office in 2 days. [smile]

I also live in Waltham, have a restricted ltc, to get a non resident N.H ltc you just pay $100 fill out application with a pic of your ltc & you get it. No problem. I'm moving to N.H. by the end of 2016. Waltham is a joke.

Same here - Waltham resident with T&H restricted ltc.. no problem getting a NR NH ltc.. fast and easy

Thanks for all the info. I am going to have a conversation with the CLEO in the new town. He is a really nice guy and I expect he will give me some sort of advice. I am hoping possible he will be able to help the process along.

It shouldn't take more than a month. 14 days for them to process the application, and then a few days on each for transit via the postal system. If it takes longer, feel free to start calling them :D

I'm possibly moving to Waltham and have had a LTC with no restrictions for the past 36 years (back in the old days it was "Personal Protection" as the reason, then it was "All Lawful Purposes", now it's "None". Just a bit of history). I'm now retired (66yo) and have my own small business buying and reselling electronics on the internet and carry large amounts of cash since I frequent auctions, estate sales, flea markets and such. I'm wondering with my LTC history what Waltham would issue me if indeed I moved to there.

It means if you don't have a non-resident NH P&R, you can't carry in NH. NH only recognizes resident permits for reciprocity, and MA doesn't recognize NH, so NH doesn't recognize MA. Your MA LTC is only important inasmuch as it lets you apply for your NH non-resident P&R. Beyond that, it doesn't matter in NH.

Very confusing exchange of thoughts. You can not carry concealed or loaded/in a vehicle without a P&R.

This has nothing to do with a MA LTC......why are MA people so dumbfounded by the simplistic rules of other states?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom